Nissan announces pricing in Canada for Leaf (cold package)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmp647

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2011/29/c7406.html

The Nissan LEAF will be available in two trim levels including the well-equipped "SV" base model ($38,395) which includes an extensive list of standard features including the "cold weather package" specifically designed for countries with colder climates. Also standard are:

80 kW (107 horsepower) AC synchronous electric motor;
24kWh lithium-ion battery and 3.3 kW onboard charger;
Front and Rear Disc brakes, regenerative braking system, ABS, Brake Assist
Vehicle Dynamic Control; Traction Control System
16" alloy wheels, LED headlights;
Dual power, heated outside mirrors and real spoiler;
Nissan Navigation System;
CARWINGS telematics monitoring system and trip computer;
Battery heater system Front and rear heated seats and heated steering wheel;
Bluetooth ®;
Nissan Intelligent Key ®;
Automatic climate control, cruise control;
XM Satellite radio (subscription required) and USB connection for iPod;
Auto-dimming rearview mirror and variable intermittent wipers.
The SL* model ($39,995) adds:

Rearview monitor;
Fog lights;
Solar panel charger;
Homelink transceiver (for garage door openers);
Cargo cover.
*Available option on the SL model is the

well this is good news , things are moving forward and hopefully this will be followed by info on the 2012 Leaf in the USA or maybe the addition of the cold weather option to the build in the USA

Nice find. Since the Canadian dollar and US dollar are close to parity I'm guessing a price hike will be coming soon but hopefully April will be the month that they announce the increased availability (Spring 2011) and Cold Weather package in the US. As far as I can tell everyone in the initial launch states should have had a chance to order by now.

Yeah that's what I'm wondering , if everyone who reserved and is in a launch state has ordered....

Then they might soon announce new pricing and or options

Course I did reserve a 2011 SL

But lots of people did who will no doubt ESP considering all that's going on

Receive 2012's

Considering that the rate of exchange is currently about $1.03 US to $1.00 Canadian, this is kind of pricey... Either that or the cold package is not inexpensive...

kmp647 said:
The Nissan LEAF will be available in two trim levels including the well-equipped "SV" base model ($38,395) which includes an extensive list of standard features including the "cold weather package" specifically designed for countries with colder climates.
The SL* model ($39,995)

mogur said:
Considering that the rate of exchange is currently about $1.03 US to $1.00 Canadian, this is kind of pricey... Either that or the cold package is not inexpensive...

The dollar has tanked since they initially priced the car in the US. I think they mentioned inflation when they increased the price in the UK. The apples to apples comparison here is that they are upping the price of the QC from $700 (in US) to $900 (in Canada). I don't think it's the cold weather package that's so expensive.

rnkepler said:
mogur said:

The dollar has tanked since they initially priced the car in the US. I think they mentioned inflation when they increased the price in the UK. The apples to apples comparison here is that they are upping the price of the QC from $700 (in US) to $900 (in Canada). I don't think it's the cold weather package that's so expensive.

/this

This Canadian pricing, while expected to always be a few thousand more, is a big warning shot on future US price bumps. Even though this Cdn price seems high, it is still relatively low considerating currency movement of the past 12-24 months.

The yen has appreciated about 15% over the past year since pricing was announced and almost 20% since they dusted off the first production prototype.

Even back then, the USD was perceived to be rallying back, so they were probably pegging it closer to the more historical 115-120 range. The deteriorating US situation, then the two rounds of quantative easing has kept it a solid 40% under what Nissan probably thought it was going to even back out at.

Using just the degradation from the pricing date, the LEAF should be around $38,000USD, more like $40,000 from introduction of the car itself; and if you are Nissan you probably need to price it around $42,000-$44,000 now to get the original return anticipated in yen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump of at least $1,500 in the fall.

USD/JPY chart:
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=USDJPY=X+Interactive#symbol=USDJPY=X;range=1d

Random FYI: if anyone is thinking about it...it costs a little over $39,000 (taxes in) to land a LEAF in Canada. (If you are thinking about doing this make sure to intially plate/register it in the province it is heading to...or you won't get the rebate (8,500ont/8,000Que) once it hits the eligibility roles)

Canadian prices on cars are usually higher and do not translate 1:1 to US prices regardless of the exchange rate. I would expect addition of Cold Weather Package would be around $1k more then current price in the US market.

It will be interesting to see how Nissan handles all the tier 2 and outer areas who reserved early

By the time you get to order they are either building 2012's at a higher msrp and or the Cold weather pack bumps the price up

My guess is many more of us outside th launch areas who are reservation holders will end up in 2012's then Nissan ever anticipated. (delays disaster and all)

This prob is a conundrum for them , what do they do?

Very true. The dollar has been in free fall against almost every currency. Thank you Federal Reserve, Federal deficit, QE2, etc. Building them in Tenn. will help some but by no means completely compensate for it...

rnkepler said:

AmarilloLeaf said:
Does Canada offer any tax credits like we have here in the USA?

Only Ontario and Quebec offer rebates, $8500 and $8000 respectively. I'm sure Nissan gets better economies of scale selling in the US, but nothing that will account for the slide in the US dollar. As far as I can tell Nissan is not trying to skim off the tax credit/rebates that countries are offering, but they will need to increase the price to make up the difference between the initial price of the car and the inflation since.

Statik said:
Random FYI: if anyone is thinking about it...it costs a little over $39,000 (taxes in) to land a LEAF in Canada. (If you are thinking about doing this make sure to intially plate/register it in the province it is heading to...or you won't get the rebate (8,500ont/8,000Que) once it hits the eligibility roles)
As soon as I saw Canada in the title I knew Statik would have commented ;)

Here is an interesting comparison.

Code:
US Toyata Prius : $23K onwards
US Leaf SV      : $25K (32.5-7.5)

Canada Toyata Prius : 27,800 onwards
Canada Leaf SV      : 32K (40-8)

I'd guess a 1.5 to 2K increase too in the US ...

evnow said:
Statik said:
As soon as I saw Canada in the title I knew Statik would have commented ;)

Here is an interesting comparison.

Code:
US Toyata Prius : $23K onwards
US Leaf SV      : $25K (32.5-7.5)

Canada Toyata Prius : 27,800 onwards
Canada Leaf SV      : 32K (40-8)

I'd guess a 1.5 to 2K increase too in the US ...

(=

I'm disappointed. I mean, I'm happy that they've announced a price while means another step forward has been taken but $6000 more than the US? Why? I certainly don't think or feel that the Cold Weather Package is worth that extra $6000 if that's why there's this difference in price. Feels like greed had a hand in here unless there's additional features.

Still happy that it's finally come to light, soon we'll be able to put reservations down, can't wait :cool:

Stewy13 said:
I'm disappointed. I mean, I'm happy that they've announced a price while means another step forward has been taken but $6000 more than the US?
It's the Canadian market driving the price difference.

Have a look at the base price of any car. Look at the Prius, for example. In the US base price is $23k - in Canada, it's 27k or about 17% more. The "markup" for the Leaf is basically identical.

A Honda Accord starts at $21.2 k in the US - in Canada $24.8. Again 17%.

To me - pricing is as expected. There must be import taxes or something adding to the price? Or perhaps the size of the market affects the markup.

Be glad you don't live in Australia - exchange rate is basically the same (1 AUD = 1.02 USD) but the Prius starts at $40k and the Accord starts at $36.5k!

Happy to see progress on the Canadian front, disappointed at the price hike and 3.3kW charger. Of course it will probably be a long wait for it to be offered in the provinces without incentives anyway.

kmp647 said:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2011/29/c7406.html
80 kW (107 horsepower) AC synchronous electric motor;
24kWh lithium-ion battery and 3.3 kW onboard charger;
Front and Rear Disc brakes, regenerative braking system, ABS, Brake Assist

Statik said:
Random FYI: if anyone is thinking about it...it costs a little over $39,000 (taxes in) to land a LEAF in Canada. (If you are thinking about doing this make sure to initially plate/register it in the province it is heading to...or you won't get the rebate (8,500ont/8,000Que) once it hits the eligibility roles)

I was just looking at the full Nissan press release and unless I'm reading it wrong the QC port is a $900 option on top of the $39,995 model, or $40,895. Add 13% in sales taxes for $46,211.
Ontario gets a $8500 rebate for $36,606 if deducted before taxes, or $37,711 if deducted after.

Short of moving to Ontario or Quebec I'm looking at forty-six grand, I'm not sure that I'm willing to pay that. :(

Back