News story broadcast on our Leaf last night!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjenn

We were really excited recently to be interviewed and videotaped by an Oklahoma City television news reporter, Galen Culver, who did a story on our Nissan Leaf. The story ran last night in Oklahoma but it can be viewed on their website, too! Maybe Nissan will consider paying us to help them advertise. :)

Check it out at http://kfor.com/2013/03/19/great-state-one-of-oks-first-leafs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep, long distance twins. :) We just have 8,000 miles so far but we plan to keep it a very long time. I was happy we could help get the word out! Are there many in Kentucky? I'd love to see more in Oklahoma.

Benjenn said:
Yep, long distance twins. :) We just have 8,000 miles so far but we plan to keep it a very long time. I was happy we could help get the word out! Are there many in Kentucky? I'd love to see more in Oklahoma.

I know of three of us that get together for dinner every now and then. There are more, but we haven't be able to round them up. Kentucky offers no incentives to purchase an EV, and the tax situation (6% sales tax plus annual property tax based on car's value) really makes you think twice before purchasing a new car of any type in this state .

We used to have a 50% tax credit in Oklahoma. Seriously! But it was before EVs were available. People started trying to use that on the low-speed EVs (golf carts basically), the legislature panicked and the tax credit was eliminated. Sigh. Oh well, we thing having the car is credit enough. With the great lease deals out there now we wish we had waited and leased but someone has to take the plunge. We wouldn't trade it for anything.

A wonderful piece. I was so pleased that I sent the following message to the station:

"I just watched your article on the Nissan LEAF. We have had our LEAF for over two years and over 22,000 miles. It has worked perfectly and we still have 12 out of 12 bars of battery capacity left. It is a great car and I am so pleased that your reporter really reported it on its own merits. I've have seen too many reports that want to compare the car to a $15,000 econobox that will travel from coast to coast. The LEAF was never designed for that and comparing the two is like saying a Chevy Corvette is a lousy car because it can't carry a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. Thanks for some honest reporting."

If any of you would care to lend your support, http://kfor.com/contact

Oh, I'm so glad you responded to the station. I was really pleased with how they handled it, too. He spent over 3 hours with us talking about the car. I was anxious to see what angle he would take -- I think he did a great job. I'm glad you did, too. I hope they get flooded with messages about it - and I hope to see more LEAFS in Oklahoma because of it! :)

Jennifer

That's really nice!

I sent them this:

"Kudos to Galen Culver on the Nissan Leaf story. I'm glad to see the real story of a family and their electric car covered in such a simple and honest way. What a great news channel!

I've driven my Leaf for four months now without a single problem, and in one of the snowiest winters we've had in years. Like it said in the story, it's just a car, except I don't think about gas anymore. What I used to pay for gas covers the cost of my lease, and I fuel it from solar panels on my house. Heck, I'll probably never drive a gas car again.

I'll love it when somebody makes an electric pick-up truck."

How did they select you guys for the story?

OK, what a great state!

I sent them a thank you too, similar wording to the others quoted here. Have any of your friends and neighbors asked you for advice about leasing/buying one themselves? I'm hoping there's a "need to know an owner like me" factor holding back EVs, and when non-owners find out a friend of theirs has an EV, and has no problems, they'll be much more likely to consider getting one themselves.

I knew Galen did these segments every week. We saw a story recently about gas prices being on the move up so I emailed him and told him about the car and gave him my contact info in case he was interested. He called back pretty quickly and came to do the story the next week. It was pretty cool.

As for friends wanting an EV, my best friend plans to buy her new Leaf within the next year. She is just chomping at the bit and has been since we got ours. I've taken it to work and shown it off at meetings multiple times and my husband works with the wife of our Secretary of Energy, so they've seen it, too.

We do all we can to educate people about what great cars they are. I'm sure they'll come around eventually. Maybe stuff like this will help. Hope so!

I like it that the station is getting responses from Leaf owners all over the country. Has anyone else had any exposure like this? :)

That doesn't surprise me, Richard. You were so early they'd never heard of them before! I hope we'll get more in Oklahoma soon. :)

He had one of those little "Go Pro" video cameras. It was just him, by himself - no other cameraman. I thought he did a great job. :)

Good story!
Helps spread the EV grin, that's that great big smile one gets when driving electric.

Sent the station a good job note myself.

Back