Newbie - Not yet an owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maini

I am looking at buying a used 2011 or 2012 SV with LED and Charger package. The range of prices I am seeing in NorCal Bay Area are
2011 - CPO - 26K Miles - 13,992
2012 - CPO - 10K Miles - 17,992
there are 3-4 cars between this range all in the mileage 20K or less
These are exactly same equipped but different colors.

What do you guys think of these prices?? Anything I should be careful about?? Should I wait for memorial day sale?? They all recently dropped by $500
Instead should I be looking at a new 2014??
I don't want to lease as we will drive till the battery warranty expires and this will my wife's car and it will be out third car.. so no hurry to buy,
CPO cover 7 years 100K miles
Nissan covers 8 years 100K on Battery (Did read the forums about dropping bars and getting battery replaced)
Also I found out CPO does not cover any HT electrical components, to get those covered I need to buy the "wrap around" on top of CPO which is another 2K. Is this worth it??
Would appreciate any advise to a newbie.

Thanks for all the help

LeftieBiker said:
Unless you plan to drive the car for short trips only, please reconsider a lease.

Max mileage a day will be 35 to 40 miles average a week would be under 200 miles
Is buying a 2014 better?? I was told on a 34K MSRP car I can get the following discount

$2500 - CA State in Sept
$7500 - Federal next year when I file (no problem)
$2500 - Dealer discount if I have VPP from my company (I do)
$2500 - NMAC discount fro 0% financing
Total 15K discounts but I have to pay the tax which might be on the higher value
So about 19K + for a new car vs maybe 15K for CPO.. does this sound right for the folks??

There are various inexpensive options now for reading out the battery capacity and state of health via the OBDII port. I'd use one of those on any used LEAF I was considering for purchase.

LeftieBiker said:
Your expected trip lengths are too high for a used Leaf going forward over time. The new 2014 sounds like a MUCH better deal.

I recalculated with Google maps and it came to 28.2 miles a day.. rounding to 30 miles a day for 5 days a week 150 miles a week not to exceed 160 miles a week. 8320 miles a year which cost me currently almost $2400 of Gas.
Assuming I can chafe much at work I could save about $2000 at year. So if I buy a car for 14K then the car pays of itself in about 7 years.
Will a used 2011 with about 20K miles last for 7 years??
What about a used CPO 2012 with 10K miles will it last for 7-8 years??

Any thoughts??

^^^
Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway?
maini said:
Depends on how much battery capacity the above two have lost and how much it'll lose in the future. Time isn't in your side. We also have no idea what part of Nor Cal you're in. Is your work and/or home in a hotter (e.g. Concord, Walnut Creek) or cooler area (e.g. SF, Half Moon Bay)? Better off going w/a newer Leaf.

Re: "chafe" at work... err... what if you can't charge at work or your commute gets longer (e.g. you move or switch workplaces)?

cwerdna said:
^^^
Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway?
maini said:
Depends on how much battery capacity the above two have lost and how much it'll lose in the future. Time isn't in your side. We also have no idea what part of Nor Cal you're in. Is your work and/or home in a hotter (e.g. Concord, Walnut Creek) or cooler area (e.g. SF, Half Moon Bay)? Better off going w/a newer Leaf.

Re: "chafe" at work... err... what if you can't charge at work or your commute gets longer (e.g. you move or switch workplaces)?

My wife's commute is Cupertino to San Jose so I am in South Bay.. temperature is moderate
We plant to charge it every night... and charge at work.. even if we are not able to charge at work she can easily come back and chafe again.. the total round trip should not be more than 28 miles. Changing work place then that will be felt differently .. we are still keeping the Murano.

Spoke to some more dealers and I am getting a purchase offer for a SV with LED and QC port for 28K including all discounts.. 1k for VPP, 2.5K for NMAC 0% 60 month finance, 2.5K Dealer discount. Some other extra...The MSRP on this car is 34995.
The 7.5K Fed and 2.5K CA will come out separately and later.. will need to do it on my own.

Is this a good deal??

Bought the car yesterday 28K including the following. Will file the CA 2,500 rebate and then Fed rebate 7,500
Nissan Leaf SV
LED Headlights
Quick Charge Port
Automatic On/Off Headlights
Fog Lights
Cargo Net
Floor Mats & Cargo Area Mat
Hologram Kick Plates
Splash Guards
Rear Cargo Cover

I heard that maintenance id included for first 3 battery checks etc.? Is this true.

The first two battery checks are free, but maintenance isn't usually included unless they put that in writing as an extra. In fact, they may try to sell you an expensive prepaid maintenance plan; if so, do NOT buy it. There is little to be done on this car.

maini said:
I heard that maintenance is included for first 3 battery checks etc.? Is this true.
Nissan reimburses the dealer for the cost of the first two annual high voltage battery pack "tests".
Not really a test just reading data from the LEAF and printing a "report".
Have to be scheduled at least one day past the in service date for the dealer to get reimbusement.

Third one is at owner's expense, around $57, although several have reported their dealer failing to charge for the third one.

Be sure the dealer tests the 12V battery each year. A lot have failed. It is covered for 100% no cost replacement under the three year / 36,000 mile warranty. Good to periodically use battery maintainer but do not hook to the negative battery post.

Congratulations on your new LEAF. I hope it works out as you have planned. I'm in a similar situation with a 2011. Still love it. But afraid it will basically be disposable junk due to the defective capacity degradation somewhere around year 7 to 9.

Better than the deal I got. Had my Leaf for 4 days now and I already wish I could drop the 2nd gas car and have only an EV (or 2). You won't regret your purchase

Back