Newbie in Santa Monica, CA needs charger help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapipes2

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking quite some time, and have finally decided to get an EV. BUT..I don't have one yet.

I just completed the installation of a separate 240V circuit to my garage and have installed a Leviton 32amp Level 2 EVSE. When my electrician plugged it in, the 'power' light lit up. Everything looks good.

I then asked him if he could test the unit to make sure the Leviton will actually charge a car. He said he didn't have anything that could actually test it. He said I need an EV to make sure it really works correctly. Not very comforting!

As I probably won't get an EV until mid-2014, I'd really like to make sure the Leviton works, as my return window is rapidly closing if I need to exchange it.

Are there any of you out there that live in or near the Santa Monica area that would be willing to drop by my house for 15 minutes to plug in your car so I can make sure this thing works? I'll make sure it would be as convenient for you as possible.

Thanks again!!

Use the search button (Google) to pull up Paul Scott. He can get you in touch with a local person to help... or he may even come over himself. He currently works at the Downtown LA Nissan dealership, but don't let that put you off. He's a square dealer.

Actually, I've met Paul.

I just feel somewhat uncomfortable asking him to do that, as I don't want to feel obligated to buy from him. Not that I wouldn't. I just feel funny about it.

There are about a million EVs around you. Listing yourself on Plugshare might get you some takers too. A nearby dealership would probably let you test drive an EV to your house to plug in.

But you really don't need to worry about it - EVSEs like your Leviton are very simple machines (they're not actually "chargers" as they don't do any fancy AC-DC conversion stuff - that's all in the car), and Leviton has great customer support. It'll work fine, and if it doesn't Leviton will take care of it. You'll still be under warranty even if the return window has passed. Although you might want to return it after you read about all the much cheaper EVSE options out there...

I teach at Santa Monica College but won't be back there until Spring semester, mid-February. If you haven't found someone by then, I would be happy to swing by with my Leaf.

Well, if you aren't assured yet the EVSE will work, I have to be in SM tomorrow Thursday Dec. 19 to go to the dentist at 11am. I live in Silver Lake (near downtown), so this is a long trip for me given freeway speeds. The recent Leaf software upgrade made it much harder to get the kind of miles on the GOM I used to get, so it makes me a little nervous. I've been looking for charging stations near Lincoln and Wilshire, but all I saw were a couple of places that looked like storefronts, one on 6th and one on Broadway, and no idea if there's a fee or if they're Chargepoint (which I don't belong to). So even a few minutes of charge would be a relief.

Thanks to all of you for your generous offers to help me test my charger. Last weekend, I happened to run into a Leaf owner just one block from my house. He came by and we plugged in. The charger worked fine!

Thanks again for all your responses.

Dapipes2 said:
Thanks to all of you for your generous offers to help me test my charger. Last weekend, I happened to run into a Leaf owner just one block from my house. He came by and we plugged in. The charger worked fine!

Thanks again for all your responses.
BTW, you got the terminology partly right in your posts. You verified your EVSE worked fine and his/her on-board charger worked fine.

Since you don't have an EV yet, please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so that you know the difference and what can influence charging speeds. Since you have a 32 amp EVSE, if you bought/leased say a Volt, Spark EV or Leaf S w/o the optional 6 kW on-board charger, they'd charge slower than cars w/6+ kW OBCs.

Back