New to the Game. Thinking of buying

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafalek2000

Here's my current situation. Moving from Cali to the Northeast. My job commute in Mass will be 35 miles one way (flat terrain, mostly highway) in Cape Cod weather.
I reside both in CT and Mass. It appears both states (given their liberal history), have little incentives (state tax credits or HOV).
My questions:
Major differences between S, SV, SL?
Which state to purchase/lease the vehicle?
Moving up from a Dumbphone to a Smartphone, is Iphone the best choice for the leaf?

Im 33y/o male no kids or wife

I'm leasing a model S Leaf with the Quick Charge option, waiting for range to be 150 miles before I buy one; I would like to charge less often because of "charge exhaustion", not "range anxiety". I have a dumb phone and use http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find charging sites locally.

For the past month and a half, I've only charged the Leaf using public, free QC and L2 chargers, leaving my L1 trickle charger in its trunk bag. Because of this charging method, the car is essentially free...not a bad trade from the 1998 Nissan Maxima 5-speed I was driving (and fixing)!

The Leaf is wonderful IF you don't need to travel more than 60 mils round trip per day. If you need to regularly travel more than that, you'll really want to have L2 charging at both destinations, to allow for normal about-the-town driving in between the commutes; my commute is 40 miles round trip, with a Nissan dealership in between.

After a couple of months driving the Leaf daily, I find I do not miss filling up with gasoline AT ALL!! I have NO desire to go back to an ICE vehicle. Leasing the Leaf has been a great decision for me.

I'm a 52 yr old married male with 3 college and post college children. It's been a fun ride with SWMBO all these years; looking forward to many more!

35 miles one way, 70 miles round trip, won't work in winter unless you have reliable workplace charging. You also would need a backup ICE car (or access to one) for longer trips or commutes in very bad weather.

If you had reliable workplace charging, you would need the SV or SL because they have a more efficient heat pump heater. They also come with some other features, such as cruise control, that the S model doesn't have.

The LEAF probably isn't a good fit for that commute in the snowbelt. I'd suggest a Chevy Volt instead.

what towns are you traveling between? The infrastructure is not as built up as California, but there are a few level 2's around for "just in case" top off in the winter, but it really depends on your route. If you have charging at work (even level 1) you are golden. You can leave work and home at 80% and do 35 miles in any weather.

Don't bother with a QC port, non-exist in the region.

I charge pretty much exclusively at work so basically I have transportation for the cost of lease payment and insurance. In addition to the savings it also requires very little maintenance.

Yogi
Eastham to Mashpee. I've lived in the Northeast for over 20 years, I am familiar with the brutal snow storms (although, cape cod tends to get spared )
Yes, I have looked at the Chevy Volt, however, the recent price drop and leasing options make the Leaf more appealing.
I currently own a '10 Sub Forrester.
Here's my math ...70 miles a day X 20 days = 1400 Miles at 20 miles peg Gallon (winter weather) at $3.75pegG = $263 :shock: a month just for work transportation.

I will have to find out, whether my job will allow me to charge.

rafalek2000 said:
http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/versions-specs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lets you compare. The printed brochure also spells it out pretty well. http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can be a little confusing, at first.
dgpcolorado said:
35 miles one way, 70 miles round trip, won't work in winter unless you have reliable workplace charging. You also would need a backup ICE car (or access to one) for longer trips or commutes in very bad weather.

If you had reliable workplace charging, you would need the SV or SL because they have a more efficient heat pump heater. They also come with some other features, such as cruise control, that the S model doesn't have.

The LEAF probably isn't a good fit for that commute in the snowbelt. I'd suggest a Chevy Volt instead.
Agree w/all of the above.

If you really want to make this work, I think you can pull it off..
But you really need to commit.

If you can access a regular 120 outlet at work, this is very doable.
And yes, it needs to be reliable access.
I would suggest getting a gid meter.
Actually knowing your pack status is really important.

Good luck

Mashpee to Eashham. Nice places to be. Not much charging in the area.

If you are moving there, make sure you get some lights for your house here:

http://www.electricalnews.com/granite-city-installs-legrands-electric-vehicle-charging-station/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have one of the only charging stations on the Cape, a few more are listed @ plugshare.com.

Your 35 miles is on "slow" highways (40-55) not superhighways (60-75), so you got a shot with 100% charging and 80% is a no-problem with some charging at work.

You will definitely need a level 2 at home.

Yogi
I would invest in a Level 2 charger in the garage.
Plugshare is a great app. I've downloaded it on my Ipad. Looks like there a few individuals on the Cape who are willing to help out (private charging). I would become one as well.
Like you mentioned before, if I get a Level 1 for 6-8 hours at work, that would diminish my range anxiety.

On a side note. Im moving to the east coast and start a lifestyle with a minimal (smaller) foot print.
-Electric Mower/trimmer
-a2b electric bike
Hooked up to a Wagan Solar Panel Cube

any other ideas are welcome

I got a SV about 10 days ago. I did my first long trip today of 42 miles each way, or 84 roundtrip.

Get Plugshare and Chargepoint to see the costs of some charging stations in your route. Some could be free. I think Starbucks or some coffee places should start support EVs. I noticed my routine of getting free juice was I would go to a place to either eat or drink coffee while i use their level 2 charger. I would do that anyway!

With a 6kwh on board charger. you can get abotu 15-18 an hour. Plenty to help you make sure you can go roundtrip.

Go to EVSEupgrade too.

It's a great feeling that in my first week with the EV, I only used the trickle charger twice. The rest of the time I've been charging at public EVs.
Saved 70 bucks already!

rafalek2000 said:
Here's my current situation. Moving from Cali to the Northeast. My job commute in Mass will be 35 miles one way (flat terrain, mostly highway) in Cape Cod weather.
I reside both in CT and Mass. It appears both states (given their liberal history), have little incentives (state tax credits or HOV).
My questions:
Which state to purchase/lease the vehicle?
Moving up from a Dumbphone to a Smartphone, is Iphone the best choice for the leaf?

Im 33y/o male no kids or wife

What you need to know up front is that, for you, the S model is unlikely to be a good match. It's the only one of the three without the heat pump, and you will use too much power in Winter using the resistance heater on that commute. Also, most freeway commuters like cruise control, and the S model doesn't have it. I have a 2013 SV and like it very much. Turning on the heat (in mild weather) only subtracts two miles from the range - same as the A/C. If you don't want leather and like black interiors (free heating in Winter!), I suggest an SV.

Yogi62 said:

http://www.electricalnews.com/granite-city-installs-legrands-electric-vehicle-charging-station/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have one of the only charging stations on the Cape, a few more are listed @ plugshare.com.

Your 35 miles is on "slow" highways (40-55) not superhighways (60-75), so you got a shot with 100% charging and 80% is a no-problem with some charging at work.

Yes, plugshare shows Granite City Electric has a station about half way on your route. Go talk to them about installing the L2 charger at your house. They would probably let you charge in a pinch if the weather got bad. Agree with others, for the heater you need to get the SL or SV (not the S), add the 6.6 KW charger for faster charging at L2 stations (skip the QC unless you think they will be installed about 60 mi from your house). If you buy from Nissan of Bourne, you're about 50 mi from Eastham. That effectively increases your range, since they would have to be absolute jerks to not allow you a charge if you buy there.

Yes, L1 at work for a couple of hours in the winter would make it much easier. Also, that way you can pre-warm while plugged in for about 30 min before leaving work. It will only put out about 1.2 KW, but it will help warm it up a bit. It works fine for me, but I've only tested it to about 20 F.

Reddy said:
Yogi62 said:

Yes, plugshare shows Granite City Electric has a station about half way on your route. Go talk to them about installing the L2 charger at your house. They would probably let you charge in a pinch if the weather got bad. Agree with others, for the heater you need to get the SL or SV (not the S), add the 6.6 KW charger for faster charging at L2 stations (skip the QC unless you think they will be installed about 60 mi from your house).
<snip>
The SV and SL come with the 6.0 kW (6.6kW according to some sources ) charger, so no need to add anything - the QC is an option. Only the S comes with a 3.3kW charger as standard, with the 6.0 + QC as an option.

As mentioned, don't even think about this without a 100% guaranteed way to charge at work. Even then, a 120V L1 may not be sufficient. Range on this car can be as low as 45 miles on 100% charge in harsh winter conditions. So, you start the day on 100% charge and get to work on a cold day with some snow and have only a handful of miles left. 9 hours later you've been using the trickle charge and you're still not going to be at 100%. Snow is heavy, traffic isn't moving fast, it's a very real possibility you don't make it home.

I love the Leaf, but please do not underestimate what a horrendous drop in range you can experience when it's very cold. The battery works less efficiently, and you're also sucking away 4-5 kWh just for the heater. In one hour of heat that's almost a quarter of the range just to keep the cabin warm, if temps are down to low singles or 0F.

I think you could make it work if you have a dedicated L2 at work and you know with certainty nobody else will use it. The new Leaf has 15% more range, but it's still going to be tight without good charging options.

To somewhat offset the discouraging posts about extreme-weather range:

I do not dispute the numbers. However, if you do have an ICE car available (a 2nd car or carpool) for those X days in the year when the Leaf would be challenged to get you there and back safely - then as long as X is small enough, you can still get the Leaf and use that ICE stop-gap during those X days.

You will enjoy your Leaf, *and* save money, the rest of the year.

That's essentially what all of us do, because fact of the matter is that cars with <100 miles range and limited fast-charge infrastructure, cannot take you on those classic American road trips. But they are great for 365-X days of the year.

Thank you for the response. Yes, the range is a concern. I'm on the cusp of max range, with the Leaf.
I've owned Prius gen 3 , and loved it. Got into the habit of trying to beat my mpg with each fill up (56.5 mpg was my record). That's my personality in a nut shell. I also have a condition, where anything above 72F is hot for me. I can ride in a vehicle at 40f with no heat on.
That being said, the range might be too much.
Going to start (sigh) looking at alternatives.

As mentioned, don't even think about this without a 100% guaranteed way to charge at work. Even then, a 120V L1 may not be sufficient. Range on this car can be as low as 45 miles on 100% charge in harsh winter conditions.

L-1 at work would work fine. 8 hours' charging at work on an L-1 would both return 40% charge to what you have left and would keep the battery pack warm. (I charge with L-1 only and have had the pack heater come on exactly twice this frigid Winter, even though the car sits unused for days almost every week.) You can also preheat with L-1 and use less power, if you time it right. 45 miles range as worst-case scenario depends on either fast driving or big hills or both: if you drive carefully when necessary and don't have hills to climb you'll be fine, as long as you lease to avoid battery degradation worries down the road.

rafalek2000 said:
The only differences that will have any effect on your range would be the SV and SL have a heatpump and thus will be more efficient in the cold weather, possibly helping your range. Also by default the S model has a 3.3kw charger for level-2, which is very slow if you are in a hurry to pickup some extra range at a public charging station. However, if you add the "charger package" that will solve that issue.

I would also echo what other's have said about the long commute you have.. it is really not a prime candidate for a Leaf. You can make it work, but most people would not be willing to make the sacrifices necessary. A level-2 charger are your work place would help a lot.

rafalek2000 said:
Yogi
Eastham to Mashpee. I've lived in the Northeast for over 20 years, I am familiar with the brutal snow storms (although, cape cod tends to get spared )
Yes, I have looked at the Chevy Volt, however, the recent price drop and leasing options make the Leaf more appealing.
I currently own a '10 Sub Forrester.
Here's my math ...70 miles a day X 20 days = 1400 Miles at 20 miles peg Gallon (winter weather) at $3.75pegG = $263 :shock: a month just for work transportation.

I will have to find out, whether my job will allow me to charge.
trickle charge will do you on the work end.
you wont be going 65 for a good part of the route, i suspect.

Back