New SJ garage chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugrik

I park in the 3rd street garage in downtown San Jose. Today I watched them working on three new Chargepoint chargers - two single-heads in normal spaces, and one single-head between two handicap spaces. According to the electricians this is 'phase one' and is being done in 8 garages around the city all at the same time. They should go live sometime in the 2nd week of December. For better or worse, these are the wall-mounted style with the triangular cord holder that nobody seems to use right, so I suspect that we'll be seeing cords draped around the ground after a while. The 'reel-up' styles are too new to be deployed yet, I guess.

The electricians say the politico-types from the city are already touting "phase 2", where they install 3-6 more *dual* head Chargepoints in each garage, but they haven't laid down what exact timeline this will happen.

All of these are in 'rockstar parking' locations on the first floor / front area of the garages. They are supposedly going to be properly painted/signed for EV only, but anti-ICE enforcement will be a challenge in these facilities (the city electrician spoke about how it's 'nearly impossible to get towed' from inside these facilities and 'the cops never get around to ticketing anyone since it's a pay lot anyway').

I'm quite glad to see the charging infrastructure get more built out here... but I worry that bulking out EV-only spaces on the first floor of all these garages is going to cause some resentment that EV's don't need. I also suspect ICEing will be rather common until it gets bad enough to motivate enforcement. We'll see how it goes!

University Place is a municipality in the south Puget Sound area. I recently visited their library and community center building. There is parking on the ground floor and there are six ChargePoint stations located just about as far from the stairs and elevator as you can get. I did not note an ADA charging station near the elevator.

That location ought to help keep the spaces open for EVs. When I left, there was a black Mercedes ICE in one of the slots - very heavily tinted windows, engine idling. Hmmmm - maybe a meet of some sort?

Bill

Thanks, I saw those on the CP map and wondered if they were really there. Nice
to have some confirmation. ;)

ebill3 said:
University Place is a municipality in the south Puget Sound area. I recently visited their library and community center building. There is parking on the ground floor and there are six ChargePoint stations located just about as far from the stairs and elevator as you can get. I did not note an ADA charging station near the elevator.

That location ought to help keep the spaces open for EVs. When I left, there was a black Mercedes ICE in one of the slots - very heavily tinted windows, engine idling. Hmmmm - maybe a meet of some sort?

Bill

City of Lacey, Library and Police Stations (all located a few blocks from each other) have had L1 charging for years. they are supposed to be converting to L2 soon.

i never had range anxiety with my Leaf purchase decision (i drove a 20 mile range Zenn for 3+ years, so i KNOW what range anxiety is!) because i feel that public charging options will abound in a few years time.

just the amount of chargers that have popped up over the past 6 months NOT in the EV highway project has been amazing and i hope it continues!

Back