New! Just made deposit, and waiting impatiently

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAsrican

Hi everyone. New here. New to Leaf too!

I'm excited to join and start driving electric! I tried to run fast to Nissan when I saw the local dealer was about to get a gray Leaf SV with technology package delivered, but I was too slow. Someone else had already put a deposit on it before it was even delivered to the dealership. They are hard to snag. I put a deposit on a silver SV that is supposed to be coming next truck (but no tech package, oh well).

Now I'm just waiting impatiently, and trying to learn everything as fast as possible. This forum seems great.

1) I was also able to convince my landlord to get a quote for an electrician to put in a 240V outlet for home charging. I'll have to next select a portable EVSE, and figure how to secure it. any suggestions? I suppose I need to wait and see what receptacle actually gets installed though.

2) Also , I'm wondering a few things about non-home charging... I saw Nisan is giving $250 credit on the EVGo network, but it seems like most people talk about PlugShare, which lists many more charging places than EvGo. But now I also see many locations near me need something called ChargePoint membership. Do you folks really have so many apps/memberships all at once to handle away charging. Seems confusing.

Thanks!
Brent

Welcome. The easiest way to deal with charging away from home is to find out which two or three charging networks are prevalent in your area, and then sign up with those. If you have EVGo, then make sure that they are one of them, because of that $250 credit.

At some point (not now) I'm going to merge this topic into one of the existing new Leaf owner topics.

it seems like most people talk about PlugShare, which lists many more charging places than EvGo. But now I also see many locations near me need something called ChargePoint membership. Do you folks really have so many apps/memberships all at once to handle away charging. Seems confusing.

PlugShare isn't a charging network, it's just a platform for finding nearby EV charging stations. Sort of like GasBuddy for EVs...

With respect to the different charging networks and related cards, I completely agree that they are confusing and infuriating, especially for new EV owners.

Imagine the response from regular car drivers if gas station owners suddenly decided you could no longer adhoc pay for gas by using a credit or debit card and instead you had to join a club and pre-purchase your gas in $20 increments. That's basically the scam these charging companies are pulling...

As more consumers purchase EVs, they will demand flexible payment options and the charging networks will have to cave and allow credit and debit card payments. Can't wait for that to happen as the charging apps in general are buggy and poorly designed. Just let me tap my credit card!

alozzy said:
it seems like most people talk about PlugShare, which lists many more charging places than EvGo. But now I also see many locations near me need something called ChargePoint membership. Do you folks really have so many apps/memberships all at once to handle away charging. Seems confusing.

PlugShare isn't a charging network, it's just a platform for finding nearby EV charging stations. Sort of like GasBuddy for EVs...

With respect to the different charging networks and related cards, I completely agree that they are confusing and infuriating, especially for new EV owners.

Imagine the response from regular car drivers if gas station owners suddenly decided you could no longer adhoc pay for gas by using a credit or debit card and instead you had to join a club and pre-purchase your gas in $20 increments. That's basically the scam these charging companies are pulling...

As more consumers purchase EVs, they will demand flexible payment options and the charging networks will have to cave and allow credit and debit card payments. Can't wait for that to happen as the charging apps in general are buggy and poorly designed. Just let me tap my credit card!
There are a small set of stations that let you pay via Plugshare (https://pay.plugshare.com/). I've never done this once in my over 8 years of driving EVs.

Unfortunately, likely the reason charging providers have adopted the pull $10 or $20 a time and hold onto your $ is probably due to swipe fees eating up too much of a typical cost of transaction, which would be small vs. someone buying gasoline. See https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=588612#p588612.

BAsrican said:
1) I was also able to convince my landlord to get a quote for an electrician to put in a 240V outlet for home charging. I'll have to next select a portable EVSE, and figure how to secure it. any suggestions? I suppose I need to wait and see what receptacle actually gets installed though.

Thanks!
Brent
If you're getting a 22 Leaf, it will come with a 240V EVSE so you don't have to purchase another one. Ask to install a 14-50 outlet. Also get quotes from multiple electricians because some may charge a premium if you mention "for charging an electric car".

Triggerhappy007 said:
BAsrican said:

Thanks!
Brent
If you're getting a 22 Leaf, it will come with a 240V EVSE so you don't have to purchase another one. Ask to install a 14-50 outlet. Also get quotes from multiple electricians because some may charge a premium if you mention "for charging an electric car".
Note if using the factory L2 EVSE, you need to have at least a 40a circuit as the Leaf can draw up to 27.5a continuous and is too much for a 30a breaker/outlet. Now you can purchase aftermarket EVSEs that will limit the charge current to 24a, the max safe continuous charging current for a 30a setup but it would be best if whoever installs your setup just uses a 50a breaker with a 14-50 outlet, which would allow you to just plug in your OEM EVSE.

Triggerhappy007 said:
BAsrican said:

Thanks!
Brent

+1 to this, if your Landlord wants to go cheap, just install a weather proof outlet with the above mentioned specs, 14-50 outlet with 40 breaker. You will already get a L1/L2 EVSE when you get the car and can use that for L2 charging @ 240V.

jjeff said:
Note if using the factory L2 EVSE, you need to have at least a 40a circuit as the Leaf can draw up to 27.5a continuous and is too much for a 30a breaker/outlet. Now you can purchase aftermarket EVSEs that will limit the charge current to 24a, the max safe continuous charging current for a 30a setup but it would be best if whoever installs your setup just uses a 50a breaker with a 14-50 outlet, which would allow you to just plug in your OEM EVSE.
Great advice!
Too bad every (potential) EV owner can't have their options spelled out like this:
1) install a 50a breaker with a NEMA 14-50 outlet to use the "stock" EVSE, or
2) buy an aftermarket EVSE with selectable charge current (and install the breaker+outlet to match)

cwerdna said:
Unfortunately, likely the reason charging providers have adopted the pull $10 or $20 a time and hold onto your $ is probably due to swipe fees eating up too much of a typical cost of transaction, which would be small vs. someone buying gasoline. See https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=588612#p588612.

I'm a little more cynical than you :lol:

I'm guessing that they adopt the $10 or $20 pull strategy because it keeps people coming back, rather than using a competitor and/or they put all that pooled money to good use (for equipment purchases and such).

Welcome!

I’m also impatiently waiting for my SV to arrive. I decided to wait for the orange. When I paid my deposit I felt so patient about it (no problem, I can wait until November!) but now I’m going crazy trying not to text my sales guy for daily updates. I went in 2 weeks ago and finalized the paperwork, so now I get emails from Nissan as if I actually have the car and it just feels like they’re tormenting me :( lol

jaja06 said:
Welcome!

I’m also impatiently waiting for my SV to arrive. I decided to wait for the orange. When I paid my deposit I felt so patient about it (no problem, I can wait until November!) but now I’m going crazy trying not to text my sales guy for daily updates. I went in 2 weeks ago and finalized the paperwork, so now I get emails from Nissan as if I actually have the car and it just feels like they’re tormenting me :( lol

Just wait until you drive around with no engine noise or vibration, then it will follow up with playing stop light champion as you discover everyone else is so slow now... :mrgreen: Your range will suffer as you get used to trying to drive like a normal person, not like a person having a mid-life crisis who just bought a sports car. :lol: Don't let the fun get ruined by showing off though, accidents can still happen.

knightmb said:
jaja06 said:
Welcome!

Just wait until you drive around with no engine noise or vibration, then it will follow up with playing stop light champion as you discover everyone else is so slow now... :mrgreen: Your range will suffer as you get used to trying to drive like a normal person, not like a person having a mid-life crisis who just bought a sports car. :lol: Don't let the fun get ruined by showing off though, accidents can still happen.

I drove my ‘13 SV for 5 years, so yes these are all the things I miss! I’ve been driving a Caravan while I wait, and now I never get to play stop light champion :(

Also I’m so bad at managing a gas tank now. I can’t wait to get plugged back in!!!!

Wait, OK, so a NEMA 14-50 is what the included cable will plug into. Good.

Now, does that mean I need a 50 amp breaker (is that what the 50 in 14-50 stands for?) or a 40 amp breaker? The above replies mentioned both.

BAsrican said:

Now, does that mean I need a 50 amp breaker (is that what the 50 in 14-50 stands for?) or a 40 amp breaker? The above replies mentioned both.

50 amp, I typo my response :?

BAsrican said:

IIRC, there is no specific outlet for a 40A circuit, so a 14-50 outlet is often used. Which, is ok, I guess, as long as you label it a 40A circuit. Since the cable used will usually support 50 amps, though, you can also use a 50A breaker in that case...which might be a little slow to trip if a 30A charging cable or station is going bad. If it were me, I'd use a 40A breaker and clearly label the outlet 40A, just so it would be better matched with the load.

LeftieBiker said:
BAsrican said:

IIRC, there is no specific outlet for a 40A circuit, so a 14-50 outlet is often used. Which, is ok, I guess, as long as you label it a 40A circuit. Since the cable used will usually support 50 amps, though, you can also use a 50A breaker in that case...which might be a little slow to trip if a 30A charging cable or station is going bad. If it were me, I'd use a 40A breaker and clearly label the outlet 40A, just so it would be better matched with the load.
I personally have a 14-50 outlet with #6g wire(which is rated for 50a) but use a 40a breaker, mostly because it's what I had lying around but also as Leftie said, it better matches the load. Now if I had an RV that used the 14-50 plug or something where I needed to pull up to 50a I'd have used a 50a breaker. What you don't want to do is use #8g wire with a 50a breaker, in this case the breaker wouldn't protect the wiring.
Also note a 40a breaker is only rated for 32a for a continuous load like an EVSE and a 50a breaker for a 40a continuous load but even 32a is more than a Leaf will pull maximum which is 27.5a.

In case your landlord pushes back at the costs of a 50A circuit, it's possible to use a NEMA 14-30R and a 30A breaker, but you wouldn't be able to use the stock EVSE in that case. That option is less expensive for longer runs as your electrician can use 10 AWG wire.

However, you can purchase an EVSE that has adjustable current settings (you ideally want a 24A setpoint, no more than 26A) for under $500.

That only makes sense though if the install cost of a 50A circuit exceeds the cost of a 30A circuit by more than the cost of another EVSE.

What "alozzy" said.

I have a Grizzl-E, and it's plugged into a 14-30 on the old, never-used, and for several years deactivated electric dryer circuit. It was much cheaper to reactivate that and extend it to where I needed it, than to put in a 50A circuit (which would have likely required a new panel as well). The Grizzl-E isn't available with a 14-30 plug, but the power and charging cables can be detached, and it wasn't terribly difficult to fit it with a 14-30 electric dryer cord.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
The Grizzl-E isn't available with a 14-30 plug, but the power and charging cables can be detached, and it wasn't terribly difficult to fit it with a 14-30 electric dryer cord.

For portable EVSEs with a 14-50P, it's even easier to adapt them to a 14-30R as the only physical difference between the plugs is the unused neutral blade. So, you can just remove the unused neutral blade from the portable EVSE and it will fit into a 14-30R.

Back