New GID Meter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamchemist

I'm a little confused about the 281 GID number, that is supposedly typical of a full, new battery LEAF charge. How accurate is that value? Since I got my GID meter together and working about a week ago, I have charged our 2012 model LEAF three times - always to 100%. Immediately after those charges the GID meter read 241, 235, and 237 GID's. Our LEAF is about 20 months old and has about 14,000 miles on it. It has seen no extremely hot weather (maybe occasional high 90's at the worst) and no DC quick charges.

I'd like to hear what some LEAF gurus think about those data? Is it likely that our battery never did hold 281 GID's, or is it more likely that our battery capacity is down by about 15%. If our battery capacity were really down 15%, then I'm surprised that I have not seen a drop in my LEAF Battery Capacity bars. I still have the full 12 bars. I calculate that they should represent about 8% each. If my LEAF Battery Capacity meter is right, then I calculate that our battery never did hold any more than about 256 GID's. Obviously, I had no GID Meter to check that, when the LEAF was new in Jan. 2012

You have probably lost about 15% of capacity from when your Leaf was new. The first capacity bar represents a 15% loss (but typically disappears at about 18% loss). The remaining capacity bars represent 6.25% each (all this from original service manual). Depending on your climate, mileage, and days parked in the sun a 15% loss in 20 months could very well be about right. For more detailed estimate of capacity loss, see info on the Battery Aging Model in the Wiki:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Battery_Aging_Model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and then check the thread on refinements to the Battery Aging Model and download the latest version (end of thread), then plug in your numbers in the yellow boxes on the prediction tab:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnrhansen said:
I've always wondered... If your battery loses capacity, It should charge faster right? Is that noticeable?
The time to charge from say 80% to 100% or say from LBW to 80 or 100% does definitely go down - and you can see it in the car's estimated charge times, especially the L1 charge times.

That said - if all you do is drive the same 30 miles every day at the same efficiency, it'll always take the same amount of time to charge back up to where you started.

Back