New Chevy Volt value proposition: use gas station restrooms

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kovalb said:
I think this commercial will confuse most people.

"Most people" are not buying BEVs, the people buying Volts and Leafs tend to be affluent and well educated, they will fully understand the humor in this ad and think well of the Volt.

BTW, the Volt is a BEV, once the battery is depleted it switches mode and becomes a hybrid. The PIP is a also a BEV, but it will switch mode at the drop of a hat.

TRONZ said:
IMHO, GM has given up. The Volts days are now numbered.

GM really has no other choice but to move forward with it. They don't have any all-electric vehicle to sell or market and they don't want to look like they are falling behind the technological curve.

I do not think the Volt is a bad car. I seriously considered leasing one instead of the Leaf. In the end, however, I prefer the size and styling of the Leaf over the Volt. Oh, and don't forget the price. That was an important consideration being that I plan to buy my Leaf once the lease is up.

As for GM.. They aren't making enough of these cars to really be an important part of their strategy. We don't know if they are making any profit or losing money on each Volt they sell. But since the production volume is so low, it doesn't really make much difference either way for them as it is a drop in the bucket of total vehicle sales. There appears to be a decently strong demand for the car. So the only way we can tell GM's real motives will be to watch what they do with production. If they ramp it up and start making 100,000 a year or more, then we know they are serious about the car. If they try to keep production limited to around 30,000 per year, we know they aren't serious. I realize it is hard to get initial production up. I'm talking about a year or two from now. If there are still waiting lists and people having trouble finding a Volt in 2014, then we will know GM's stance on it.

Today was the first day I have seen Volt ads, in the local newspaper, at a $3000 discount!. Big turn around for being $5000 over sticker in march.

GPowers said:
Today was the first day I have seen Volt ads, in the local newspaper, at a $3000 discount!. Big turn around for being $5000 over sticker in march.

One issue that is slowing down their sales, it does not yet qualify for the "HOV" stickers for the CA carpool lanes - yet. They need to do some more emisions work to clean it up a bit. This is one reason the PiP (Plug In Prius), is going to be successful, even with its puny 14-15 mile EV range.

Even though I still haven't got my LEAF, I can't remember the last time I used the restroom at a gas station. I am eagerly looking forward to my last regular visit to a gas station! I have used the restrooms at service plazas and rest areas along the turnpikes and freeways, but these are not strictly gas stations.

I believe they did a good job with making the Volt a great car, it's just not the car for me for 2 major reasons:
1. The Volt's EV range is right on the edge of my daily commuting requirement, so I'd likely use the gas engine just a bit every day, whereas the LEAF has more than enough range. On the rare occasions when I make a road trip, it will be better for me to just rent a car.
2. The Volt is more complex that a normal car. I like the decreased mechanical complexity of the LEAF. And, while I have never been that much of a car enthusiast, since a young age I have liked all things electrical and electronic, so I might find myself becoming a EV enthusiast.

So Nissan raised the price of the LEAF EV and selling every one. GM lowered the price of the Volt, is stacking on dealer rebates and is now running ads about gassing it up. :shock: This is not rocket science. GM is running for the hills. Volt production is irrelevant if noone is buying.

Yet GM keeps announcing more Volt type cars, like the Cadillac Volt?

gm_cadillac_converj02_2.jpg

In some ways a Caddy PHEV makes (more) sense due to the required price premium for the drivetrain. There are also alot of drivers that think they have done-their-part because the wife's SUV came with a FlexFuel badge on the back. The Volt "it burns gas to go farther" is just the kind of "breakthrough" these people will to like.

TRONZ said:
So Nissan raised the price of the LEAF EV and selling every one. GM lowered the price of the Volt, is stacking on dealer rebates and is now running ads about gassing it up. :shock: This is not rocket science. GM is running for the hills. Volt production is irrelevant if noone is buying.
Here is what Jim Motavalli from the NY Times has to say about this narrative:

The Volt is not failing. Limbaugh said that the Volt’s sales “have been a dud in the U.S.” But surely Rush knows that the car is extremely production-limited right now. The line shut down for four weeks beginning in June for retooling and to increase production capacity. As The Detroit Bureau described it, “Already in tight supply, the number of Volts available for delivery to retail customers will be further restricted before production resumes.” At that time, the company could produce only 16,000 Volts per year, though it’s escalating next year to 60,000. That’s why the breathless month-by-month account of Volt and Leaf numbers is a bit beside the point. We have not yet reached the point where actual Volt sales have anything to do with demand.

BTW rather than cutting the price of the 2012 MY Volt GM raised it by about $2K. It just took things like the premium sound system and made them options.

SanDust said:
rather than cutting the price of the 2012 MY Volt GM raised it by about $2K. It just took things like the premium sound system and made them options.
A premium sound system might be a popular option were it offered for the LEAF...

Walked over to talk to a neighbor tonight after work about some weekend happenings. The wife mentioned how funny she thought the ad was and clearly "got it". Glad some others on this site appreciated it to.

I did another couple hundred miles on my Volt this week on battery/electric only. For the past few months I'm 97+% electric driving only. Fun to pass the gas stations (and use the bathroom at home). Glad I had the other option when I was *already* out and about and things came up when I needed the ICE/Gas_Generator for the 3%. In the last 6300 miles I've used 12 gallons of gas. The Volt wakes up at midnight and charges at my lower rates and with no impact to the grid.

TRONZ said:

You can twist the "facts" like about no other on this site.

GM didn't really lower the price they just removed standard options such as the premium sound system and NAV. I've read where various people wanted to use their own NAV and were not really audio-philes so would rather save money. That has happened with folks on GM-Volt.com as they purchased the 2012s without them.

No mass dealer rebates that I've heard of.

They shut down for 4 weeks to retool to create more Volts per day.

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/rush-is-wrong-about-general-motors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Volt is not failing. Limbaugh said that the Volt’s sales “have been a dud in the U.S.” But surely Rush knows that the car is extremely production-limited right now. The line shut down for four weeks beginning in June for retooling and to increase production capacity. As The Detroit Bureau described it, “Already in tight supply, the number of Volts available for delivery to retail customers will be further restricted before production resumes.” At that time, the company could produce only 16,000 Volts per year, though it’s escalating next year to 60,000. That’s why the breathless month-by-month account of Volt and Leaf numbers is a bit beside the point. We have not yet reached the point where actual Volt sales have anything to do with demand. If it fails then, Limbaugh would have a point.

The Volt is not failing.
I have anecdotal evidence to support that statement. I put a Volt on pre-order earlier this year and I had very hard time finding someone willing to sell it below MSRP. This dealership is 80 miles away and I decided to revisit a local establishment instead, which is part of a large local dealer group. They would not sell me a 2012 Volt without markup even though they reportedly had over a dozen of them on the lot with several more in transit. They were that confident about their ability to move them. The Leaf is quite a common sight in Silicon Valley now, but I'm seeing more Volts on the road too.

scottf200 said:
:? You can twist the "facts" like about no other on this site.

OK that's just creepy. Uuuumm... glad I'm your favorite... and welcome...... I think?

BTW it's called math!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883&hilit=Volt+sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TRONZ said:
scottf200 said:
:? You can twist the "facts" like about no other on this site.
OK that's just creepy. Uuuumm... glad I'm your favorite... and welcome...... I think?

That is what you interpreted and got from my entire post?!? Way off. Somehow I'm guessing you skimmed it and only focused on one thing. Again you seem to want to ignore many positives and just try to stretch the *perceived* negatives.

Your link is to worthless sales figures in the first year of a ramp up. It will need to be updated to have more than Japan(Leaf-home-country) and the USA. The Volt and Opel Ampera (http://www.opel-ampera.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are virtually the same.

Goodness you are as bad as the complete ignorant article writers making splash titles and meeting their deadlines. The same could be said for the first year of any new vehicle including the LEAF. Do you know what the first couple years of sales were for the Prius which sells millions now. It is quite enlightening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius#Sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottf200 said:
That is what you interpreted and got from my entire post?!?... Somehow :arrow: I'm guessing you skimmed it :!:

...snip snip...

only focused

....still snipping...

you are as bad as the complete ignorant article writers

...BIG SNIP!

Scotty... you caught me. Guilty as charged. I did not read your entire posts. :( My computer is still downloading them.

What is with these word blizzards dude? It's OK to just say, "I love my Volt". :)

TRONZ said:
What is with these word blizzards dude? It's OK to just say, "I love my Volt". :)
You realize that if the Volt fails the deathwatch for the Leaf will be ongoing as well.. let go of your irrational hatred (or maybe mild dislike). Perhaps a GM product ran over your dog when you were a kid, I'm sorry about that but Rover is in a better place now.

Sheez the hatred in ALL of these electric car boards.

surfingslovak said:
The Volt is not failing.
I have anecdotal evidence to support that statement. I put a Volt on pre-order earlier this year and I had very hard time finding someone willing to sell it below MSRP. This dealership is 80 miles away and I decided to revisit a local establishment instead, which is part of a large local dealer group. They would not sell me a 2012 Volt without markup even though they reportedly had over a dozen of them on the lot with several more in transit. They were that confident about their ability to move them. The Leaf is quite a common sight in Silicon Valley now, but I'm seeing more Volts on the road too.
Try Dublin. It's exactly 40 miles from Silicon Valley, and they sell at MSRP.
I have also seen a lot of Volts around here, but only 1 Leaf.

Back