New Chargepoint EVSE at Costco

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
... I would like to see Costco hold the electric profit margin in line with gasoline.
Pray tell, what profit margin is THAT exactly? I can't see that anyone is going to make money on public charging in the short or even medium term, so expecting cheap pricing is just not in the cards.

smkettner said:
davewill said:
Costco does so much right in terms of customer service and how they treat their employees, that I'm not about to get on their case over balking on EV charging...especially since their first effort was made obsolete by an industry that couldn't figure out how to create a proper standard and stick to it. Let's face it, those chargers have been sitting there collecting dust for the most part for a long time. Little wonder they didn't want to sign up for another round. If they are now going to partner up with Chargepoint, I say bully for them.
Considering Costco is the low price leader for local gasoline.... I sure hope they make an effort to be the low cost supplier of electric charging.
I would like to see Costco hold the electric profit margin in line with gasoline.

Now that is funny!

At least I am in the store spending money when buying electric. Those buying gas are outside working the hoses and computer.
Just saying if Costco makes 5% margin on gas I see no reason to make 50% margin on electric.

Either way I am glad to see the start of Chargepoint stations getting installed. If it starts a trend we all benefit.

I agree with the sentiment that Costco generally has been very progressive and socially conscious, particularly when contrasted with their evil twin, Wal-Mart (not to be confused with the unrelated Walgreen's, which recently announced the first "net zero-energy" store - see http://www.retailwire.com/news-article/16654/walgreens-plans-first-zero-energy-store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I support Costco despite this deviation from usual policies, and understand why they may have been cautious about re-entering the EV fray.

From research in the past about their experience, Costco seems to be corporate-directed to a degree that I suspect there is a general policy change emerging, even based on the skimpy evidence that updated EVSE has appeared at a single location (Torrance). So far, my web searches for news or press releases that could confirm this have returned no results. But my best guess is they will be coming.

Fy2Yejc.jpg

eXSo5o9.jpg

davewill said:
smkettner said:
... I would like to see Costco hold the electric profit margin in line with gasoline.
Pray tell, what profit margin is THAT exactly? I can't see that anyone is going to make money on public charging in the short or even medium term, so expecting cheap pricing is just not in the cards.
Costco wouldn't have to charge much to make more money then by selling gas. Gas station owners don't make very much money on a gallon of gas. Most of their profits are taken by the oil companies via their gas card fees. The gas stations even lose money on purchases of five bucks or less. It really is shameful.

FYI - fellow MNL'ers

Dear Tim,

We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale.

We have forwarded your email to the appropriate department for their assistance in answering your questions about that electric vehicle charging station.

Thank you,

Matt B
Costco Wholesale Corporation
-----------------------------------

--Original Message--
Date: 3/25/2013 8:40:11 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Other

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on Mon Mar 25 2013 08:41:37 GMT-0700 (PDT)

I learned recently that the Torrance, CA Costco location now has a ChargePoint electric vehicle charging station installed.

Some years ago Costco apparently set its corporate policy to abandon a previous commitment to the EV community.

Does this appearance of updated EVSE (charging equipment) represent a company-wide change in policy for Costco, and herald EVSE upgrades at more Costco locations?

Or is this a one-off, or a trial experiment to gauge demand? Either way, it is somewhat disappointing if Costco is partnering with ChargePoint, rather than choosing to install its own corporate network of subsidized (free) charging stations for customers to use while shopping.

Still, it's a welcome move, since Costco abandoned its commitment to EV drivers years ago. At least it seems we (EV drivers) are being recognized again, and our needs considered.

timhebb said:
...Either way, it is somewhat disappointing if Costco is partnering with ChargePoint, rather than choosing to install its own corporate network of subsidized (free) charging stations for customers to use while shopping. ...
Unbelievable. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. :roll: :roll:

smkettner said:
Now how will Costco require membership to activate ;)

My school gives a discounted charging rate to people who register with the transportation office. They might do it that way.

smkettner said:
Now how will Costco require membership to activate ;)
I think they pass around something looking a lot like a credit card ... and with a Costco logo on it ! ;-) I've had to show mine every time before they'll let me enter their store ... No reason those couldn't contain an RFID chip :eek:

LEAFer said:
I think they pass around something looking a lot like a credit card ... and with a Costco logo on it ! ;-) I've had to show mine every time before they'll let me enter their store ... No reason those couldn't contain an RFID chip :eek:
Except that it would cost millions of dollars to replace all of their current card equipment...

coolfilmaker said:
LEAFer said:
Except that it would cost millions of dollars to replace all of their current card equipment...
The RFID is an ADD-ON to the existing card (which continues to work with the mag stripe and barcode), and requested only by EV-Driving members. *OR* better yet (although I am not sure a ChargePoint Station can do this) the EVSE reads the member's barcode on the card.

LEAFer said:
coolfilmaker said:
LEAFer said:
The RFID is an ADD-ON to the existing card (which continues to work with the mag stripe and barcode), and requested only by EV-Driving members. *OR* better yet (although I am not sure a ChargePoint Station can do this) the EVSE reads the member's barcode on the card.

I realize what you're saying, but they issue the cards at each store. Each store would have to be shipped a separate lot of rfid cards for each type of membership. Then at the very least they will need some system for tracking and enabling the cards which would probably require use of a RFID reader since they aren't likely going to want to put stickers on each card with a registration number.

There is no way they would start making RFID enabled cards just for EV drivers when at some point they will inevitably want to issue RFID enabled cards to all 55 million members.

It's a nice thought though.

LEAFer said:
coolfilmaker said:
LEAFer said:
They could do something like that. Maybe they can sell separate RFID cards that would allow the use of the charging stations? Who knows. I hope that they just provide the stations as an incentive to draw EV drivers to their store. Really the cost of electricity for a person plugged in for 20 or 30 minutes will be insignificant. Just about any sale will more than cover the cost.

davewill said:
timhebb said:
...Either way, it is somewhat disappointing if Costco is partnering with ChargePoint, rather than choosing to install its own corporate network of subsidized (free) charging stations for customers to use while shopping. ...
Unbelievable. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. :roll: :roll:
Well, in all fairness, if you pay for it, it's not - by definition - a "gift horse"...

timhebb said:
Either way, I'm not thrilled if Costco is partnering with ChargePoint, rather than choosing to install their own network of subsidized (free) charging stations for customers to use while shopping.

What makes you think that Costco is not going to impose their own pricing scheme, including making them free? Unlike with Blink, ChargePoint units vary considerably in price, and a few are even free. Here in SoCal one example of a free ChargePoint station is at SoCalEdison's offices in Irwindale.

Luft said:
They could do something like that. Maybe they can sell separate RFID cards that would allow the use of the charging stations? Who knows. I hope that they just provide the stations as an incentive to draw EV drivers to their store. Really the cost of electricity for a person plugged in for 20 or 30 minutes will be insignificant. Just about any sale will more than cover the cost.

You mean like the ones chargepoint has been giving out for years and that have always allowed the owners of charging stations to collect whatever fees they choose from whoever they choose.

And if you have their Costco Amex card, that comes directly from Amex and also serves as the membership card, so that would add an additional level of complexity...

coolfilmaker said:
I realize what you're saying, but they issue the cards at each store. Each store would have to be shipped a separate lot of rfid cards for each type of membership.

All my Chargepoint chargers have been free such as the one provided by my employer, and the four Chargepoint chargers at San Diego Sea World.

Back