New App Coming Soon?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBayArea

I turned on the TV last night and right before I was about to change the channel I saw a new Nissan LEAF commercial. It was interviewing owners and saying how it was built from the ground up, how its so great, etc. Then they show how you can do "innovative things" like control it from your smart phone and they show the guy turning on the climate control. Only thing is, it looked like this:

newapp.jpg

So I am wondering if they are revamping the app some time soon or if maybe this is just for marketing purposes.

No idea, but I hope so. The current Nissan LEAF for iPhone app is awful. I just got a Volt in addition to the LEAF and I have to say the OnStar app for the Volt is so much better. For one very basic thing, OnStar keeps me logged in if I choose the option to do so. Imagine that.

The LEAF app looks like some amateur programmer cut and paste some code together. It is long overdue for an update.

shrink said:
No idea, but I hope so. The current Nissan LEAF for iPhone app is awful. I just got a Volt in addition to the LEAF and I have to say the OnStar app for the Volt is so much better. For one very basic thing, OnStar keeps me logged in if I choose the option to do so. Imagine that.

The LEAF app looks like some amateur programmer cut and paste some code together. It is long overdue for an update.
The Android version is worse. It acts like it is logging you in when you launch, then when you click on anything, it says that you are logged out, so you have to back up and login again, which takes as long as the first "login".

EricBayArea said:
I turned on the TV last night and right before I was about to change the channel I saw a new Nissan LEAF commercial.
newapp.jpg
Ha! You know you were watching Two and a Half Men. ;)

Anyway, being able to turn on/off the climate control seems silly to me. When you hit the remote start, doesn't the Leaf automatically condition (either heat or AC) the interior like the Volt? If so, then what's the point in adding a climate control switch to the remote?

DANandNAN said:
EricBayArea said:
I turned on the TV last night and right before I was about to change the channel I saw a new Nissan LEAF commercial.
newapp.jpg
Ha! You know you were watching Two and a Half Men. ;)

Anyway, being able to turn on/off the climate control seems silly to me. When you hit the remote start, doesn't the Leaf automatically condition (either heat or AC) the interior like the Volt? If so, then what's the point in adding a climate control switch to the remote?

What would you be remotely starting Dan?

Since the Leaf doesn't have an ICE, there is no remote start per se. Thus, the need to turn climate control on and off since the vehicle itself doesn't have to be "started" to provide climate conditioning...

DANandNAN said:

For the record, I was NOT watching Two and a Half Men! If you must know, I was about to queue up House.

I have used the remote climate control on several occasions. I think what would make it more useful if it told you what the outside and inside temperatures were at your car - that way you could make the determination if it is worth turning on.

There are several things I'd like to see the app do that it doesn't (mainly remotely being able to change the timers)... controlling the climate remotely is low on that list. However, seeing this brief glimpse gave me hope for an update.

FYI. The Android app was updated today. No significant change, but we do now have compatibility with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) - the latest version of Android.

skobay said:
FYI. The Android app was updated today. No significant change, but we do now have compatibility with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) - the latest version of Android.

Yep, saw the update too, updated, and did not notice any changes...

Here are some screenshots of the Volt's OnStar iPhone app. It's a Red Volt and I named it "Apple." The Carwings App has some catching up to do...

IMG_1225-1.jpg

IMG_1226-1.jpg

IMG_1229.png

IMG_1228.png

IMG_1227.png

DANandNAN said:

Is he saying the Volt has to have its gas engine on to run the AC or Heater??? This can't be right, can it?

TRONZ said:
DANandNAN said:

Is he saying the Volt has to have its gas engine on to run the AC or Heater??? This can't be right, can it?

How many other cars have electric A/C compressors or heaters? Plus, I bet the car doesn't take into account gas burned while not moving so this boosts the MPG number.

Shrink- thanks for sharing those. Makes me jealous :)

I think Nissan has some catching up to do to be competitive - and I hope they want to remain competitive.

coolfilmaker said:
How many other cars have electric A/C compressors or heaters? Plus, I bet the car doesn't take into account gas burned while not moving so this boosts the MPG number.

It would take into account gas used to run the heat and/or A/C, but the gas generator would not run unless the battery charge was low or depleted. I asked about this before I bought the car. The official stance is that you can precondition the car with caveats (e.g., open the garage door) in case the gas engine comes on, but in reality, if you precondition while plugged in or if the battery has enough charge, the gas engine will not turn on and it's as safe as a LEAF.

skobay said:
I think it no longer does what I was complaining about. I launched, it logged in, I hit update and got a response! With the old version I was halfway to my car before I could get the Climate Control turned on.

coolfilmaker said:
What would you be remotely starting Dan?
The climate control system "coolfilmaker".

I see the question has already been answered, but no the Volt doesn't start it's on-board generator unless the battery is depleted. The battery or the 240 plug are capable of running the heat or AC.

Back