Neutral with a dead 12v

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naby

Hello, I have a simple question: is there a way to put a 2018 Leaf in neutral when the 12v battery is dead and you can't turn the car on?

Thank you

The problem I faced was the way the car was parked, I could not reach with buster cables from another car.

What is a RAG manual?

Last edited:
Hello, I have a simple question: is there a way to put a 2018 Leaf in neutral when the 12v battery is dead and you can't turn the car on?

Thank you
You CAN take the pawl off the top of the diff casing, and turn the shaft manually - I've had to do it once - I DEFINITELY don't advise it...... #NissanLeafPhoenix 😳

Ok, I was looking for a simple solution. Like, insert your key here and push a button... You know... Like any other car out there... But I guess the simple answer is no, there isn't any such a way.

A serious design flaw in my opinion.

Ok, I was looking for a simple solution.

A serious design flaw in my opinion.
Not really, I have a set of jumper cables that are long enough to reach from the front of one car to back and a car pulled up behind the dead car. The flaw if there is one, is not having cables long enough, you'll find that you may be parked down hill, and can't push the car up a grade even if you could get it out of park, then there is the chance it will 'Get away from you" and crash. Long cables are a must, mine have a storage box that came with them, to keep them neat in the trunk.
It take little power to shift from park so a small portable" jumper box" would be more than enough.
Also there are other reasons not to "push it out", you may have to "push it back" if the jump is not successful.
As an ex trucker, I back in all the time anyway. Gives much better sight when pulling out, you aren't backing out blind to a travel lane. Backing in, you are blocking the travel lane so people have to stop while you back, not the case when backing out, they may be zooming to get a closer parking space and not notice you backing out.

To me, having cables longer than standard or parking face out is a workaround. IT works but it is a solution to a problem created by the car not having the option to be switched to neutral without power.

Regarding parking backwards, there are plenty of reasons not to do it. In my particular situation, I was at a ski resort. My skis were in the trunk so parking backwards would be impractical to get all three equipment out. Same when you go do groceries and need to load up the trunk. There are other reasons but those are more like preferences so not a solid argument for or against.

Anyway, I'm not losing sleep over it. I replaced my 12v battery so the problem is resolved. I was just curious if there was a way to do it like in my other, non electric, car.

Thanks for your replies

There are engineering reasons why it is the way it is, there is no "transmission" in a leaf, only gear reduction so a mechanical link, would then require and interlock between it at the button to keep people from being able to move your car without the key, and then you are back to needing power, so no gain.
Mechanical key switches have gone the way of the DODO and you'll not find any other car different.
Everything even those with a shift lever require power and pressing the brake to shift from park.
Get some 25' jumper cables and carrying case and be done with the problem.
As Toby said there is a way to remove the motor and turn the shaft, but a jumper box is much quicker. It isn't a design fault.

I read around here using a lithium iron 12v makes dead battery problems less likely. You can still have them, butt they’re often not as big a deal. They’re pricey of course.

To me, having cables longer than standard or parking face out is a workaround. IT works but it is a solution to a problem created by the car not having the option to be switched to neutral without power.

Regarding parking backwards, there are plenty of reasons not to do it. In my particular situation, I was at a ski resort. My skis were in the trunk so parking backwards would be impractical to get all three equipment out. Same when you go do groceries and need to load up the trunk. There are other reasons but those are more like preferences so not a solid argument for or against.

Anyway, I'm not losing sleep over it. I replaced my 12v battery so the problem is resolved. I was just curious if there was a way to do it like in my other, non electric, car.

Thanks for your replies
TLDNR; story to underscore the point

Re: parking backwards
It’s not as easy as it looks and people tend to screw it up. I’ve got (used to have?) a circular drive and tradesmen were constantly trying to reverse up it. They basically always left ruts in the lawn. There isn’t even a good reason to. It’s fricken circular. You can drive in forwards and drive out forwards.

Back