need help asap, Need to learn how to charge 100%,

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a trip to make in the morning, it's at 75 range now, and i been playing with timer on both wall charger and car timer. I look all over the web and find nothing. I need to charge it to 100 range

thanks

roger

Push the timer override button for immediate 100% charging. The black button is to the left of the steering column, middle top. It has the work "off" on the button.

downforceusacom said:
I got a trip to make in the morning, it's at 75 range now, and i been playing with timer on both wall charger and car timer. I look all over the web and find nothing. I need to charge it to 100 range

thanks

roger

This is my understanding. You can set a second timer to 100%. This is done via menus...

Simply set no timers and the charge will run to completion at 100%; that is what I would do...

Others will have better advice. I am on day 4 of learning.

For some reason I can't get the button to the left of the steering wheel to work reliably for me. Yesterday, for example, I powered down, pushed that button, pulled the release lever, got out and plugged in. The three lights started their normal timed charge pattern. So I threw up my hands, went in the house, logged into the Nissan Owner's page, and told it to tell the car to start charging. That seems quite reliable (if slow).

Ray

planet4ever said:
For some reason I can't get the button to the left of the steering wheel to work reliably for me. Yesterday, for example, I powered down, pushed that button, pulled the release lever, got out and plugged in. The three lights started their normal timed charge pattern. So I threw up my hands, went in the house, logged into the Nissan Owner's page, and told it to tell the car to start charging. That seems quite reliable (if slow).Ray
Does it work if you plug in first and then push the immediate charge button? It may be timing out before you get plugged in.

You are supposed to have 15 minutes, and I doubt if I take even 1. In my case it's a bit more complicated because I park in the driveway. So my daily sequence is really power down, pop the charging port lid, get out and lock the car, go get the nozzle from behind the gate and bring it out to the car, plug it in, check the charging lights, and go in the house. Yah, it would be just a few more steps to delay locking the car, always go back to the door, open it and push the immediate charge button, then close and lock the door. But I'm lazy.

Besides, I know I'll be browsing MNL soon. It's no problem to pull down the Nissan Owner bookmark at the same time and let it spin while I look at a few posts.

Ray

hmmm i just check, it's still not working....... on the dash, there is 3 light, i got the middle to turn on and off, i try both, and with the car on off and still no luck........ i don't get it

planet4ever said:
For some reason I can't get the button to the left of the steering wheel to work reliably for me. Yesterday, for example, I powered down, pushed that button, pulled the release lever, got out and plugged in. The three lights started their normal timed charge pattern. So I threw up my hands, went in the house, logged into the Nissan Owner's page, and told it to tell the car to start charging. That seems quite reliable (if slow).

Ray

I've never had a problem with the timer override button, but you have to hold it down for a second or two - a quick "tap" doesn't do the trick (reasonable protection against inadvertently incurring 3x on-peak TOU charges at home).

The car confirms this over-ride with a second pair of beeps, then the normal charging sequence on the three blue indicator lights (timed charge simply rotates the "flash"; while charging one light stays on for each 1/3 the SOC achieves while the "next" 1/3 flashes). I always plug in first, then do the timer override - it may be possible to over-ride before plugging, but it seems harder to confirm.

EricH said:
The car confirms this over-ride with a second pair of beeps, then the normal charging sequence on the three blue indicator lights (timed charge simply rotates the "flash"; while charging one light stays on for each 1/3 the SOC achieves while the "next" 1/3 flashes). I always plug in first, then do the timer override - it may be possible to over-ride before plugging, but it seems harder to confirm.
As soon as I push the timer override button, if I look at those 3 blue charging lights on top of your dashboard, I'll always see the middle blue light turn on solid. That's my indication that the timer override is in effect. Then I simply get out of the car and plug in next. After I plug in, the 3 blue lights start behaving the normal way (blinking to indicate SOC). But for sure after I push the override button before plugging in, the middle blue light goes on solid to indicate that I'm in the timer override mode. This, to me, is the tell tale sign that you're in the timer override mode before you plug in. So look for that sign if you're not sure whether you're in that mode or not.

It's much more convenient if you already know that you want the timer override while you're still in the car to hit the button first before getting out of the car so you wouldn't have to get back in the car to hit that button after plugging in.

JimSouCal said:
This is my understanding. You can set a second timer to 100%. This is done via menus...
This implies that your first time is set to 80%. And it also implies that your first and second timer has different time frames or else there'd be a conflict. So if your current charging window is outside of the second timer time frame, it doesn't help to force it to 100%.

The best way to ensure that you can force 100% charging at ANY time is to use the timer override button.

downforceusacom said:
hmmm i just check, it's still not working....... on the dash, there is 3 light, i got the middle to turn on and off, i try both, and with the car on off and still no luck........ i don't get it
The middle light is blinking? Right is solid? Left is off? (from driver seat prospective) That would indicate charging the middle 1/3 of the capacity.

When the third light is blinking and the other two are on you would be charging the top 1/3rd of the battery.

Volusiano said:
It's much more convenient if you already know that you want the timer override while you're still in the car to hit the button first before getting out of the car so you wouldn't have to get back in the car to hit that button after plugging in.
I am wondering if locking the car before you plug in (after hitting the over-ride) might "cancel" the override ?

LEAFer said:
Volusiano said:
I am wondering if locking the car before you plug in (after hitting the over-ride) might "cancel" the override ?
I don't know for sure, but we can find out easily enough, and I highly doubt it. If locking the car cancels the override, I would say that it's a design error. The state of the car being locked or not should have nothing to do with the state of the charging being on timer or not.

Back