NC Leaf Owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tt2007 said:
Saw another Leaf on the road today in Greensboro (W Friendly near Guilford College) we both spotted each other at the same time, the other driver honked, and I honked back, that was cool.
-t
I definitely seeing more leafs around the Triangle area. For the first few months of the year I think I saw two Leafs. In the last 2 weeks I've seen 4 -- two on the same day. For the last couple of months, I see one about every 10 days.

I had an opportunity take my LEAF well past the "point of no return" (by that I mean down past 1/2 on the battery gauge meaning I would HAVE to charge away from home to make it back). I travelled from Raleigh to Greensboro for the NC PEV Task Force meeting this past Tuesday. Total round trip distance was over 183 miles.

On the trip I made use of both I-40/I-85 rest stops in Alamance county (I probably could've skipped the eastbound stop, but I had to make a stop anyway!) as well as stopping at the American Tobacco Campus in Durham for dinner. I also stayed mostly (but not completely) off the interstate, making use of US-70 most of the way. The slower speeds on 70 as well as 2 hours of charging at the rest stops (1.5 hours on the way there and 0.5 on the way back) made for a long day, but not outrageous. The trip was actually way more do-able than I anticipated. I actually suspect I could've just barely made it all the way to the halfway point (near Kernersville) on a single charge, but I definitely would've been at 0 bars. Total trip economy was 4.8 miles/kWh (it was at 4.9 for awhile). We had been averaging about 4.2 this month, so that was a great result!

Unfortunately there was NO public charging at the destination (even though it was a PEV task force meeting and I had lobbied them to get portable chargers for the event), so I reached out to a plugshare user in the area and it just so happened that they were installing brand new charging stations at his workplace (Volvo/Mack headquarters). They were only 120V outlets, but he hooked me up on a device that lets you plug into 2 outlets and it will provide 240V L2 charging. Worked like a charm and I nearly got back to 12 bars in the relatively short time I was there. So I didn't quite drive ALL the way to the meeting (I was short by about 9 miles) but I almost made it.

I got to talk to 4 people about the LEAF at the rest stops. One guy, on his way INTO the rest area was telling his friend who noticed me charging that I was going to be there awhile, but when he came out he started talking to me and I think he learned a bit about EVs.

I earned 11 ECO trees that day and was 4th in the CARWINGS world rankings for distance traveled that day. I know it's somewhat meaningless, but pretty cool anyway!

Here's a video I made documenting the trip if you care to view it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvMJSGHtzY[/youtube]

I'll post a writeup of the actual meeting shortly, including some news about what I believe will be NC's first permanent DCQC station!

tt2007 said:
Few comments...

Saw another Leaf on the road today in Greensboro (W Friendly near Guilford College) we both spotted each other at the same time, the other driver honked, and I honked back, that was cool.
-t

Hiya tt2007 - my eagle-eyed 8 year-old spotted you before I did!

Just haven't been reading MNL as much now that I've settled in to using my car and adjusted everything in it... of course, my wife winds up with it most of the time since she covers more miles most days, so I get stuck with the stinky ol' ICE for a 3mile commute.... oh well, do miss my new car

Larry

Raleigh’s Bet on the Electric Car: Only Time Will Tell

http://www.raleighpublicrecord.org/...aleighs-bet-electric-car-only-time-will-tell/

Interesting article about Raleigh and the electric car.

EVs became widely available in North Carolina last fall and the NCDOT currently estimates that 293 electric cars are on the road statewide.

That’s about one percent of the national figure, no small sum considering most plug-ins are sold on the west coast.

Wake County is home to 132 of those cars, according to the DOT. Only three other counties—Durham, Orange and Mecklenberg—even have EVs registered in the double digits.

Wow 1 percent of the national figure -- that's not bad!

Trying to figure out how to get to the PEV Rally in Charlotte. Is it even possible to get there with one stop and charge?

- Kernersville to Childress Vineyards is 36 miles (45 mins)
- ChargePoint station (4 hrs)
- Childress Vineyards to Oehler’s Mallard Creek BBQ is another 50 miles (1 hr)

The event is from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. So I have to leave my house at 3am in order to get there at 10am. (This alone is the killer).

In their FAQ... "The event location will have very limited 110v outlets, two Level 2 charging stations and only one DC Fast Charger to help our guests “top off” their PEVs."

Driving on highway at approx. 65 mph. Can I even make it with one stop? That's 7 hrs one way, coming back is another 7 hrs. So I won't be home until 9pm.

In their FAQ... "The event location will...two Level 2 charging stations and only one DC Fast Charger to help our guests “top off” their PEVs."

If you take the roads that parallel the interstate and do some hypermiling you should be able to get there, BUT you'd need a full charge from the DCFC level 3, so for this to be feasible I'd suggest tracking down the Duke Energy person arranging this and making sure you'd have access for the whole 30-40minutes needed.
I mention needing the level 3 because the L2's should be used by locals for presumably 1-2h max each EV - given the timing need of a long-distance driver like you, I'd propose that Duke make an appointment list confirming time on the L3 just for folks driving more than 60 miles. That way, no EV would 'go hungry' by driving all the way there and then needing to tie up the L2 all day and inconviencing the locals.
I live in NW GSO, so if you need access to my L2 for a few hours en route or upon return then LMK [but I think I'm out of your way, and Crown Nissan is 3-4miles closer...]

tidalsearch said:
Does anyone know when (if) we will get a DC Fast charger installed in North Carolina anywhere?

According to the mayor of Winston-Salem, a DC fast charger was supposed to be installed in the Old Salem district in August. This was announced at the June NC PEV Task Force meeting in Kernersville.

Now, I don't have any update on whether the installation actually happened last month, or whether the mayor accurately described the type of charging station or not. If true though, this would likely be the first permanent DC fast charger in the state and I would hope they would make a big deal about it!

Perhaps someone in the Triad area could research this a bit more.

I just noticed in my nav that it shows a new charging station at the back side of Crabtree Valley Mall. I drove up and down the parking decks and didn't see one. Has anyone else seen this elusive charging station? I'd go to the mall more if they had a charger :D

harryjpowell said:
I just noticed in my nav that it shows a new charging station at the back side of Crabtree Valley Mall. I drove up and down the parking decks and didn't see one. Has anyone else seen this elusive charging station? I'd go to the mall more if they had a charger :D
Harry, I suspect you may have a phantom station in your NAV. I did an Update Stations as I drove by there (I never know how "nearby" you need to be for the "Near Current Position" to take effect, but I suspect it's a fairly large radius!) and still don't see it on my NAV. So I bet your car did an "auto-add" at some point and added the station to just your car's NAV. I have at least two of these phantom stations myself. I caught the car in the act of creating one of them. This is what I think happened:

1) I went to charge at a new charging station that was not in the map.
2) I double clicked the start button to bring up the dash display so I could monitor charging progress (while not technically an "emergency" charge, I was trying to get one additional bar for comfort, and there was really nothing to do in this particular location). So at this point the car was in the "ON" state, not in the "READY TO DRIVE" state.
3) Once it was time to go, I unplugged, got back into the car, pressed the brake and hit the power button to put the car into "READY TO DRIVE".
4) The car did NOT do an auto-add of the station at this point. I drove to my destination and turned the car off.
5) Upon turning the car back on, it THEN did an auto-add of the station at my CURRENT location (where there was no charging station).

So now I have a phantom station in my NAV. My theory is that the auto-add feature occurs only when the car goes from OFF state to READY to DRIVE state and uses its current GPS position. There must be some kind of "new charging station detected" flag that gets set when you charge, but the car is not smart enough to know that you actually moved.

I won't say that this is the ONLY scenario in which a phantom charging station may be created. I currently have another phantom station at the Harris Teeter down the street from me (where I've undoubtedly parked countless times). Like you I got all excited and drove around the whole area several times looking for that charging station with no luck. Since I don't often go through the sequence of events listed above, it's probably not likely that it was created in exactly the same fashion, but some how I suspect it was "auto-added" somehow.

Triangle and Triad LEAF owners: We are finalizing our plans for this year's plug-in awareness day festivities. There are actually two events taking place in the Triangle this year.

The first is a small-scale event marking the actual plug-in awareness day (this Sunday, September 23rd). This will be a meet and greet for EV owners, but we would also like to create a public presence for public awareness. There will be information tables along the south concourse of the American Tobacco Campus (near Mellow Mushroom). We hope to park as many flavors of EVs as we can along the south entrance of the ATC (on Willard St) with overflow across the street in the gravel lot under the 147 overpass. There are 3 charging stations located on Julian Carr St (behind ATC) for those that need to charge, but with the number of EV owners expected, we may have to share!

Pre-register for this event and be eligible to win a free iPad: http://events.pluginday.org/p/salsa/event/common/public/index.sjs?event_KEY=68032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post here if you think you will be interested in attending so we can plan accordingly. I would like to gauge interest in forming a monthly meet up of some kind.

2012 Triangle Plug-in Day at the American Tobacco Campus in Durham

What: National Plug-In Day is a nationwide celebration designed to heighten awareness of plug-in vehicles and highlight the environmental and other benefits of all-electric and plug-in hybrid electric cars, trucks, and motorcycles. The second annual event will take the form of simultaneous electric vehicle activities staged in more than 50 cities coast to coast. National Plug-In Day 2012 is being sponsored by Plug In America, the Sierra Club, and the Electric Auto Association. This year’s Triangle event will take place at the historic American Tobacco Campus in downtown Durham.

• 1:30-3:30pm: Electric Vehicle (EV) owners will be on hand to answer your questions and get a close up view of their vehicles. "Ride-along" opportunities for attendees will be offered. Have you ever wondered how far an EV can drive on a charge? How much does it cost to charge? The Advanced Energy myth busting team will be on hand to separate fact from fiction when it comes to popular misconceptions about electric vehicles, and owners will share their real-world experience and statistics. Charging stations are located adjacent to the campus and demonstrations will be offered.

EVs will be parked along Willard Street at the South entrance of the American Tobacco Campus, with overflow parking in the gravel lot across the street (under the 147 overpass). Public parking is available in the South deck accessed on Julian Carr St. Charging stations are located on Julian Carr St. behind Bay 7.

Event Location
American Tobacco Campus (south concourse)
410 Blackwell Street
Durham, NC 27701

The second event is a larger week-long event to be held at venues across the Triangle from Oct 1 -> Oct 6. For more information, please see: http://www.advancedenergy.org/transportation/ncpev/blog/triangle/?cat=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's about time for my first tire rotation. Don't want to go to the dealership, but I do want to go somewhere that they know how to get the car up on a lift without damaging the battery. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Nissan leads you to believe that only they know how to put it on a lift...

davewill said:
There's no special technique used to lift the car. Take it to any competent tire shop.

I'm still frustrated by the parking situation in downtown Raleigh. While the parking decks aren't ICEd anymore (yeah!), the street level parking next to the Science Museum on Jones St and on Fayetteville St are always ICEd. On a positive note, I went to a concert at the Raleigh Amphitheater this Monday and got a good charging spot in the convention center garage.

Also, I finally broke down and called the traffic patrol on a car at Optimist park that thought it would be fun to take up BOTH EV spots. A police officer arrived and he told me he couldn't do anything. I pointed out the "City of Raleigh Fine" on the EV sign and he said he never heard of it. He said he would wait for the offender and ask for the car to be moved as a warning. Sigh.

I guess I don't get it. The sign clearly states the ordanance number & fine, so what else is there to "hear of"? What, did he think you made the sign & hung it there yourself?

Sounds like laziness to me...he could sit there for a while & chill while waiting to supposedly issue a warning, instead of writing a ticket & getting back to work.

Lance, did you say you know people on the City Council...?

Atebit said:
I guess I don't get it. The sign clearly states the ordanance number & fine, so what else is there to "hear of"? What, did he think you made the sign & hung it there yourself?

Sounds like laziness to me...he could sit there for a while & chill while waiting to supposedly issue a warning, instead of writing a ticket & getting back to work.

Lance, did you say you know people on the City Council...?
That may all be true, although it's actually correct for the officer to not simply take the sign as gospel. The sign may be posted, but the law not valid, or not in force yet. In many places, such signs are placed by private parties, not government. That said, he could have called in and gotten verification of the ordinance.

Also, when signs/laws are new, local police will often be lenient. If someone has parked in the same lot for years and suddenly there's a new sign, it's easy to overlook it. Personally, this doesn't sound like such a case, though, and I would have thought that parking in two spots would have been sufficient evidence that the driver was simply contemptuous of the EV spots.

Back