NC Leaf Owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tt2007 said:
What does this upcoming (june 19th tuesday) NCPEV meeting about? Open to the public?
Yes, open to the public. This is a task force whose mission is to prepare NC for plug-in electric vehicles. You can visit their web site at: http://ncpevtaskforce.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically the format of the last meeting (which was held in various sites connected by teleconference) was a quarterly status meeting of the various working groups. It's the working groups where the real work is being done and they do welcome involvement in those groups. If you search back several pages (to around March 20) you'll find my summary of the last meeting.

tt2007 said:
How many days does it take from assessment to work authorization?
You'd have to ask them. I have no idea what company you are dealing with our what their workload is at the moment. I was working with AV who subcontracted with Beco. My assessment was done months before the vehicle arrived, but I had a lot of problems scheduling the install. Once the car's arrival was imminent I was able to get them to schedule the install and they came right out.

Got our silver Leaf yesterday at Carolina Nissan Burlington. Yay. Now waiting for the contractors via Duke Energy to set the install date for the Lvl 2 charging station.

Question...

Using the trickle charger to charge over night from 10pm to 6am. We set it to 80%. I checked the app on my phone at midnight say it take 10 hrs, then I check again in an hr, it say it will take 11 hrs instead.

Woke up at 6:30am, I check the app, there are 12 slots at the charge level bar, it is at 10 with two bars left, is that showing the 80% out of 100%. Or the 12 bar slots reprsenting the total of 80%.

Turning on the car, I couldn't remember where to see the current charge level in percentage. I see the charge level gauge with two slots left to max also with the range of 78 miles, but no percentage.

The reason i am asking is I just to make sure we didn't cut off early on the trickle charger time with the timer set to 10pm to 6am.

Thanks in advance.

tt2007 said:
Got our silver Leaf yesterday at Carolina Nissan Burlington. Yay. Now waiting for the contractors via Duke Energy to set the install date for the Lvl 2 charging station.
Congratulations! I hope you are loving your new car!

tt2007 said:
Woke up at 6:30am, I check the app, there are 12 slots at the charge level bar, it is at 10 with two bars left, is that showing the 80% out of 100%. Or the 12 bar slots reprsenting the total of 80%.
12 bars represents 100%. 10% is as close as it gets to 80%, and this is how many bars you will see when it charges to 80%.

tt2007 said:
Turning on the car, I couldn't remember where to see the current charge level in percentage. I see the charge level gauge with two slots left to max also with the range of 78 miles, but no percentage.
The car doesn't display SOC in %, which is a complaint many people have.

tt2007 said:
The reason i am asking is I just to make sure we didn't cut off early on the trickle charger time with the timer set to 10pm to 6am.
Well, you are going to be cutting it close there, and I'm not sure if the trickle charger actually pays attention to the start timer. But it usually takes less time than it predicts anyway.

Signed the contract with Duke Energy a week ago. Guess we are waiting for the permit before the charging station installation. No idea how long it takes.

-TT

altego said:
We tried out the evse at Childress Vineyards today 62 mile one way trip from Charlotte, nice place and saved enough money on gas to buy wine :)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5TFaSHbwsluRHdQWUxGSGFWdlE
Hmmm...that seems like a critical piece in the puzzle for driving from the Triad to Charlotte. It's too bad that after spending 6 hours in a winery I'd be in no shape to drive!

Thanks for the report!

So what has been the experience so far with Raleigh's new EV parking ordinance? Has it helped matters?

I parked downtown on the 10th (the day it officially went into effect, but before the new signage had been posted), but as is usual for the time I usually go down (6pm weeknight), the spots were completely free.[/quote]

The EV Only parking space(s) along Fayetteville Street (basically in front of First Citizens Bank downtown) is not very well marked and, even if there are tickets being issued to ICE vehicles, it stays pretty much ICE'd up during the day. Do you have any contact information for City officials that you could pass along to me to see if we can get some more effective markings and/or signage? Thanks.

My first Greensboro LEAF in the wild!

I expected to see tt2007 in the new silver one, but instead saw my car's twin at the Avengers movie parking lot this afternoon [mid-life crisis red] - a friendly foursome coming out of the same movie...

Very cool!

lspooz said:

I expected to see tt2007 in the new silver one, but instead saw my car's twin at the Avengers movie parking lot this afternoon [mid-life crisis red] - a friendly foursome coming out of the same movie...

Very cool!

Our company took Friday afternoon off to see Avengers.

My coworker spotted another silver leaf in the other end of the parking lot. Sounds like we have two red and two silver in Greensboro.

tt2007 said:
lspooz said:

Very cool!

Our company took Friday afternoon off to see Avengers.

My coworker spotted another silver leaf in the other end of the parking lot. Sounds like we have two red and two silver in Greensboro.

And we all saw the same movie/same day... spooky!

Seven LEAFs Spotted in Salisbury NC!

How often do you see seven (yes 7) LEAFs all together in a small city with a population of around 30,000 ?
Here they are, and we sure need them on the road. Our ground-level ozone ranks our air as the 10th worst in the USA ( according to the American Lung Association, 2011 link: http://www.stateoftheair.org/2011/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html).

seven_leafs.jpg

More pictures on my blog if you are interested: http://www.kenclifton.com/wordpress/2012/05/seven-leafs-in-salisbury/

Wilmington will soon be home to two new locations for recharging electric vehicles.

As part of its commercial charging station research program, Progress Energy Carolinas has installed two plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) charging stations at Mayfaire Town Center. The new stations are ready for use and are located on Conservation Way, behind Pottery Barn and the Melting Pot. Folks may recharge their electric car batteries while shopping and dining at the center. There is currently no charge for the charge.

“A well-developed charging infrastructure will be key to the success of electric vehicles,” said Paige Kon of Mayfaire Town Center. “Meeting the needs of the first-to-market drivers of electric vehicles in the communities we serve is yet another example of our continued growth and partnership with the community.”

Coming soon are two PEV charging stations in the City of Wilmington’s Market Street parking deck. Progress Energy will begin installation on Monday, May 21 and expects the project to be complete at the end of the week. The two parking spaces equipped with chargers will be located near the parking deck entrance on Second Street. There will not be a fee for charging.

According to Malissa Talbert, spokeswoman for the City of Wilmington, data from the Electrical Power Research Institute show that the number of electric cars in New Hanover County’s will increase from 134 in 2012 to 795 in 2015.

Both installations are part of a Progress Energy pilot project. At the end of the project, ownership and maintenance responsibilities will pass from the utility to Mayfaire and Wilmington, respectively.

Do we have a list of the businesses in the Triangle that have installed EVSEs? The property manager for the office that my company leases on Weston Parkway in Cary wants to discuss getting an EVSE installed. I'm meeting with him and his electrical contractor tomorrow morning. I'd like to give him some references he can contact, like the McDonald's in Cary and North Hills Mall that have already installed EVSEs.

rnkepler said:
Do we have a list of the businesses in the Triangle that have installed EVSEs? The property manager for the office that my company leases on Weston Parkway in Cary wants to discuss getting an EVSE installed. I'm meeting with him and his electrical contractor tomorrow morning. I'd like to give him some references he can contact, like the McDonald's in Cary and North Hills Mall that have already installed EVSEs.

Just the list of public EVSEs on your car or on a website like: http://maps.raleighnc.gov/sustainableraleigh/index.html#default

But that includes all public EVSEs, not just those installed at private businesses.

BTW: The Umstead (SAS) has two public level 2 chargers....that's near Weston Parkway.

--Sarah

Hope all folks in NC that can spare the time attend the June 19th PEV task force meeting.

BTW: I will offer to read the SOC using one of Gary Giddings excellent state of charge meters (built by Gary himself) at the event. As you probably know the "GID" SOC measure is named after Gary. Of course to get a good reading the vehicles would need to be charged first. Not sure if there will be any EVSEs at the meeting.

Of course if you are ever in Salisbury and want a SOC read just send a PM or contact VIA my Web site at: http://www.kenclifton.com (NO, I don't want any compensation to do that SOC reading).

Event Details:

logo.png

Be sure to register for the third quarterly North Carolina Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Taskforce meeting!

June 19, 2012
11 am to 3 pm
Paul J. Ciener Botanical Garden
215 South Main Street
Kernersville, NC 27285

Registration for this exciting event is free! Click here to register now!: http://www.ncpevtaskforce.org/rsvp/kernersville2.php
Interested in exhibiting? Download the Vendor Application form: http://www.ncpevtaskforce.org/docs/Vendor_Application_June_19th_Taskforce.pdf

This meeting will serve as the halfway benchmark for the NC PEV Readiness Initiative, Plugging in from Mountains to Sea (which will produce a State PEV Readiness Plan and four Community PEV Readiness Plans to be released by the end of 2012). Stakeholders from across the state will be attending to learn and participate in the discussion on preparing North Carolina for electric vehicle readiness.

The Taskforce meeting will feature panel discussions on:

Community PEV Readiness Plan Processes: Community leads from Asheville, Charlotte, Piedmont Triad, and the Triangle will share their share thoughts on barriers and successes they face while preparing community PEV readiness plans through the Mountains to Sea (M2S) grant award.
NC PEV Taskforce Working Groups Panel: The State PEV Taskforce working group chairs will answer questions and share their work for the state working groups. Taskforce Working Groups include: Vehicles, Infrastructure, Economic Development, Incentives, Education and Outreach and Policy Codes and Standards.
PEV Industry: The North Carolina Department of Commerce will lead a conversation with three North Carolina PEV industry representatives on the barriers and opportunities for establishing and growing a PEV related business in North Carolina.

All taskforce attendees will be invited to participate in panel discussions via live audience response polling.

Paul J. Ciener Botanical Gardens Conference Center
ncpevtaskforce_june19mtg_clip_image002.jpg

Paul J. Ciener Botanical Gardens Conference Center, Photo Source: http://www.pjcbg.org

Few comments...

Saw another Leaf on the road today in Greensboro (W Friendly near Guilford College) we both spotted each other at the same time, the other driver honked, and I honked back, that was cool.

Wish I can go to the meeting this coming Tuesday in Kernersville. But can't get away from work.

PlugShare... Seems like anyone can sign up for an account, and able to see your name, phone number and address on the map. How did everyone feel about that?

-t

Back