My user name should say it all

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read the responses carefully, but if the OP's not careful in choosing replacement tires, only the cheapest, that will likely result in further reduced range, due to higher rolling resistance.

As for the "65" mile range, if the OP is seriously interested in improving his range autonomy, we'll need answers from him to questions like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=275421#p275421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I doubt that "65" mile range is from 100% to turtle/dead at reasonable speeds.... I suspect that he's left a bunch of unused charge on the table (e.g. some/all between LBW and turtle). I'd imagine the OP might've lost a capacity bar or even two, by now...

Dontbuyaleaf said:
2 year lease from the worst dealership I have been to. Carriage Nissan in Gainsville GA. Carl was the sales manager that promised me 100 miles on average. He recently told me they changed their "sales pitch" 100 miles was the claim when I got it. When I only got 65 on average the dealer and Nissan said the car was not meant to be driven on the highway. Funny, is this a golf cart.

Now at 18000 miles my tires are bald and I have paint flaking on my back bumper. The dealer said they looked at it with a magnifying glass and said there is a point of impact. I can't see one.

I dream of the day when I can turn this turd in.

What are the least expensive tires I can put on this car so I'm not penalized for having bald tires.

*when I turn this car in I will be happy to trade my upgraded charger for a stock one with any of you that need one for no cost to you.

in GA on a 2 year LEAF lease? picked up when leases were cheap so you are driving it for how much a month? I would start running a financial comparison with your other available transportation options before crying about your situation. You have to know that salesman's claims should not be taken at face value especially on mileage, range etc.

As far as your range claim, sorry but I wont take that at face value either. I am guessing your are parking your "65 mile" LEAF with 15 miles still left but who knows?

Honestly, it sounds more of a dealer complaint than a car complaint. The dealership completely mislead the OP and there was the issue with the bumper as well. That said, I agree with others that the Leaf may not work for everyone, but it will work with a lot of people.

I drive a significant amount of highway miles and my average is still 4.0 kWh, so with my new battery, I am getting ~80 miles until below VLBW, probably in the low 70's if I used LBW as the cut-off. That's also something that dealerships don't explain. The EPA mileage is almost to completely empty (by their test runs), and many people don't want to (or get worried) about pushing the car below LBW which the leaf still retains ~28% of the remaining capacity, which is a ton of additional miles below LBW.

I am sorry if the leaf didn't work out for you. Assuming you still want some low rolling resistant tires, but the cheapest you can get, Kumho Solus KH25 are really cheap (Kumho's always are) so are Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS and Pirelli Cinturato P7. These aren't the best tires nor are they good LRR tires, but at least they are classified as LRRs and are cheap.

pushing the car below LBW which the leaf still retains ~28% of the remaining capacity, which is a ton of additional miles below LBW.

At the risk of going OT, how is 49 Gids equals 28% of the total capacity ? 49 Gids should be: 49/281 = 17%.

Given that the last couple of Gids is below turtle, it is probably only 15% of drivable range.

Yep, which is why we were saying at the time that 70 miles was more realistic... But a lot of less-informed people bought in to the Nissan 100 miles claim and got burned.

Nubo said:
TomT said:
All well and good today but keep in mind that the very early adopters such as myself had no such information on which to draw... We simply had Nissan's lies for the most-part...

Nubo said:
I sympathise with anyone that had a bad experience, but in this day and age I am surprised that anyone would make such a significant purchase without considerable research beforehand. Especially for such a new technology. I had no illusions regarding range when I got the car, and was already armed with lots of other useful information thanks to this, and other web sites.

I recall there was skepticism even pre-release, given the 24 kWH pack, EV efficiency and reasonable assumptions about capacity held in reserve at high and low end. Also it was clear that the LA4 test cycle which Nissan used, was not the same as highway cruising at 65mph, much less most peoples' idea of "real-world driving(™)". :)

mkjayakumar said:
At the risk of going OT, how is 49 Gids equals 28% of the total capacity ? 49 Gids should be: 49/281 = 17%.

Given that the last couple of Gids is below turtle, it is probably only 15% of drivable range.
I had the same question. But it is worth noting that as the battery capacity degrades the percent of capacity at which LBW occurs will increase. On my car, with 13% capacity loss, LBW happens a bit above 20%. Not that the actual energy between LBW and turtle has changed, but it does represent a larger percentage of the total capacity.

Larger percentage of a reduced capacity means nothing !.

49 Gids will only get you around 8 miles to VLB (24 Gids), and another 5 miles to Turtle (4 Gids), whether the battery is new or degraded with 4 bars down.

mkjayakumar said:

Hmmm, Leaf spy would constantly give me about 28% remaining with I turned into LBW plus or minus a percent. It was pretty accurate. I think a long time ago the smarter-than-me people had calculated an average of ~30% capacity remaining at LBW (this was before leaf spy and gids). So I don't know how the discrepancy between the GIDs vs the % at the low end. Maybe I am just skewed because I was used to a 3 bar looser for a long time - I am guessing its more of a specific GID/kWh remaining and unfortunately, to a degraded battery, that was 30% of it. The range though is about right though from LBW to Turtle - but I would put it more at around 15 miles. I have hit LBW at a specific distance from home (10 miles, about 5 or 6 times) that's half freeway (60-65 mph) and half local (no lights, 45-50) and have gotten home usually not hitting VLBW (I did once), and the GOM usually says 4-5 miles remaining (so JUST almost to VLBW).

ok.... now, to go back on topic .....

Dontbuyaleaf said:
I dream of the day when I can turn this turd in. ....... snip.........

34rgej9.jpg

so yeah gee - I wish I could have a life with only one regret
:D

lol, i would go to a used tire place and put on some tires with about 1/2 tread remaining right before returning the car at lease end...

I will counterpoint the OP...
I love my leaf! is it perfect? no... and that makes it the same as every other car out there.
They all have issues. every single model from every mfg. Sorry for your 100mile misnomer.
Before you spent the cash you should have done some homework. <g>
why listen to a dealer? never do that! Car buying 101.

I'm getting 80+ miles on a full charge and I run 40 mile round trips every day where 50% of my commute is at 80mph+... Every day. (3.6Miles per kWh ave since lease start -almost a year)
It's a commuter car. It's a second car if you need a car to drive further on a regular basis.
Know what your buying...

I am very happy with mine... had it almost a year and have not really seen any real battery degradation and the car is holding up with quality. it's quiet & quick. As for the tires... Any car with an electric drive... it appears to be the way the cars deliver torque that wears the tires so fast plus Ecopia's are not really a long lasting tire to begin with... My Prius does exactly the same thing.

So my guess is you bought without researching first.
Or were you trying to make a statement with your post since you posted only twice??
I'm leaning towards the latter. :mrgreen:

I never bought a car at Carriage Nissan in Gainsville GA. They will lie, cheat, etc to sell you a car. My salesman left and told me all the not so cool activities they are involved in. I cant say they are since I only bought a car there but I wouldn't take my chances if I was to buy another Nissan. I would go somewhere else. Of course, this is just my opinion.

In addition to the "100 mile range" sales pitch (perhaps a misunderstanding what "MPGe" refers to?), I've also been hearing a lot of recent shoppers who have been told that upgrading to the 6.6kW charger will make the car charge twice as fast when plugged into the included L1 charger.

After a Toyota salesman had told me that my trade-in was already long-gone despite being able to see it outside the window right behind him, I've decided to always double-check whatever I hear from a car salesman..

DaveinOlyWA said:
in GA on a 2 year LEAF lease? picked up when leases were cheap so you are driving it for how much a month?

Yes, with the GA 5K tax rebate valid on a lease as short as two years, the OP didn't take a huge financial hit on his mistake.

Back