My new charge schedule

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

Facts:
  • My PV array makes more on-peak than I use. I haven't paid for ANY on peak power since I got the system a year ago. I have 1.6MWh of on peak credit right now.
  • I want to start using on-peak power to charge my car, but it isn't home most of the day. Peak is 9am to 9pm for me.
  • I can't just charge in the evening as I don't want to charge to 100% and leave it for 10 hours every night at 100% (for a year I did this before I was told it's even worse for the batteries to *stay* at 100% for long periods)

Solution:
  • Carwings is set to charge to 80% 12pm to 12pm.
  • I use some automation on the web portal to automatically start a manual charge an hour before my normal work departure time.

So now I come home in the evening between 6 and 8 and plug in. Bulk charging happens during peak hours so I use on-peak power. It charges to 80% so it is not sitting overnight with 100% charge. Then the 100% charge is automatically triggered using the web portal with the automation and when I'm ready to leave, I have 100% charge.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before.

so guessing you have to pay for off peak power you use that you did not generate? what is your sell back rate on the peak power credits you have built up? that can suck

I think it's like 6 cents a kwh if I remember right. Basically what I pay for off peak.

Before I got the PV system, I assumed you could exchange on peak power credit for off peak power, but this isn't true. APS keeps them separate. So every on peak kWh I overproduce at the end of the year, I'm losing 9 cents I could have used to offset my grid power cost.

Interesting problem to have; clever solution.

This makes me want to double check that I understand how PG&E handles time-of-use pricing. No time like present to understand what I already committed to with my pending PV install.

turbo2ltr said:
Before I got the PV system, I assumed you could exchange on peak power credit for off peak power, but this isn't true. APS keeps them separate. So every on peak kWh I overproduce at the end of the year, I'm losing 9 cents I could have used to offset my grid power cost.
That is the most incredibly stupid thing I have ever heard! APS seems to have their corporate head up their a**! The whole idea of TOU net metering with solar is to generate power on-peak to offset off-peak usage.

Can you switch to non-TOU net metering?

A utility more f**ked up than PG&E; I wouldn't have believed it!

around here the solar incentives are out of this world. buy back is based on where the panels come from and who installs them.

I know an Oly guy who upgraded his panels from like 3.2 to 6.4 Kw and is collecting 54 cents per Kw for power he generates on the upgrade. 18 cents for the previous install but buys power he uses at 8 cents/kw. needless to say, he gets a pretty decent check every 3 months for his efforts. His electric bill is so small that he is billed once every 2 months.

Power Rate Incentive
Washington was the first US state to implement a statewide Renewable Energy Production Incentive. State utilities will pay grid-tied photovoltaic system owners $0.15 to $0.54 per kWh for all the electricity they produce (compared to their $0.05 to $0.08 selling price)

Washington was the first US state to implement a statewide Renewable Energy Production Incentive. State utilities will pay grid-tied photovoltaic system owners $0.15 to $0.54 per kWh for all the electricity they produce (compared to their $0.05 to $0.08 selling price)

The base rate increases to $0.18/kWh if the inverter (which converts direct current to alternating current) is manufactured in Washington State. The base rate increases to $0.36/kWh if the solar collection modules are manufactured in Washington State, and to $0.54 if both inverter and modules are made in Washington, all nontaxable.

Sales Tax Exemption
Purchases and installation of solar equipment in systems up to 10KWh capacity are exempt from Washington State sales and use taxes.

http://www.solectrix.com/incentives.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is a kicker; max payout per year is capped at $5,000 and ya, i know a few that are max'd out.

BUT...

Community Solar systems is what is making the big waves right now. community system get DOUBLE the payout. so even a half million system looks pretty good when you are getting $1.08 per K back

PLUS

some local communities have additional incentives

A few of Washington’s smaller communities also have their own performance incentives. If you live in Chelan County ($0.22/kwh), Okanogan County ($0.57/kwh), or the San Juan Islands ($0.17/kwh through OPALCO), you may be eligible for these local incentives, in addition to the state RECs.

http://solarpowerrocks.com/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

turbo2ltr said:
[*]I want to start using on-peak power to charge my car, but it isn't home most of the day. Peak is 9am to 9pm for me.

Run an extension cord to your neighbor's house and run their fridge on a timer.. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Back