My Leaf is Invisible

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have replaced all 3 factory installed "Low Emission" emblems with "Electric" emblems and a bumper sticker that says "No Tailpipe"!

we need a scrolling led display in the back of the Leaf, perhaps "100% electric" or "OPEC Sucks".. or something political during voting season.. you want something attention getting?, put a republican slogan on.. most people expect Leaf drivers to be left wing ecogeeks and/or public employee union members.. probably still suffering from Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS) :)

*note: with no sense of humor

my Leafs notice has been minimal as well. either people are up on it or they are not. most of my stares come from cruising parking lots. there is no mistaking the Leaf as a bystander at 10 mph

If it was the stock horn you blew, that might be what elicited the micro-machine comment... It does sound like something from a clown car...

davewill said:
Well, I got some negative attention this morning. I was waiting at a light to make a left turn woman in a BMW SUV waiting on my right to make the same turn (two left turn lanes). During the turn she cuts over the line in my direction, forcing me to brake and swerve. Naturally I honk...after all maybe she didn't see me. :roll: She starts waving and shrugging at me, and at the next light rolls down her window and asks me why I honked at her. I reply, "You were four feet over the line". She looks down at my pride and joy (the car, the car!) and says, "I didn't come anywhere near your micro-machine." She then speeds off with the green light.

I was thinking of putting a wind turbine on the LEAFs roof... or a giant pissed off polar bear with 12" Freddy Krueger claws stretched out at Suburban driver height. Not sure yet.

mogur said:
If it was the stock horn you blew, that might be what elicited the micro-machine comment... It does sound like something from a clown car...
That makes more sense than anything I thought of...after the LEAF isn't actually small, not like a Smart or Mini.

Jimmydreams said:
davewill said:
Well, I got some negative attention this morning. I was waiting at a light to make a left turn woman in a BMW SUV waiting on my right to make the same turn (two left turn lanes). During the turn she cuts over the line in my direction, forcing me to brake and swerve. Naturally I honk...after all maybe she didn't see me. :roll: She starts waving and shrugging at me, and at the next light rolls down her window and asks me why I honked at her. I reply, "You were four feet over the line". She looks down at my pride and joy (the car, the car!) and says, "I didn't come anywhere near your micro-machine." She then speeds off with the green light.
Take quiet pride in the fact that she was probably disgruntled at having to put $90+ worth of gas at EVERY fillup to get her precious 20mpg.
You're being generous - 20mpg is about the best case scenario for a BMW SUV... Probably more like 15-17mpg in real life the way that lady drives.

Normally these people hop down from their SUV's and run away before anyone see's they're 4'-11". :lol:

I haven't had much notice either, other than a semi-homeless-looking man who was jaywalking in front of me pointed out that there was no noise coming from my car, saw the zero emissions sticker, and pointed it out to another semi-homeless-looking man sitting on the sidewalk.

Also, my friend had posted on Facebook that her husband was out test driving some stranger's Volt, and how it likely reflected her husband's tendency to talk to strangers. I posted on FB that it was more likely the Volt owner's tendency to want to share their car's technology with the world, because as a LEAF owner, I'm the same way. Some guy responded to my post by saying that the reason you don't see many LEAFs or Volts on the road is because nobody wants them. I, of course, had to respond to his lameness with some actual facts.

I have had a fair amount of notice and some "jealous" comments--as well as purposeful speeding from stop signs to beat me (they usually lose). :D I have also had two times in the past 3 weeks that SUVs have hit or almost hit my car--both times when I pulled in next to them in a parking lot. (one door opened to slam my drivers door while i was still in the car, and a near miss when another backed up to correct their parking as i pulled in) Cant help but think the low profile and silence has something to do with it --now I keep my distance if I can! I do wish the horn was stronger...

Here is a link to an article I wrote on this very subject a couple of months ago...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1056787_is-the-2011-nissan-leaf-the-truly-invisible-electric-car

I sure wish the Leaf made a stronger "visual statement."

I get more then enough of attention already where people ask questions, point, smile, take pictures and already had one guy cut me off in old Mercedes SUV, as I started to pass him in a carpool lane, he decided it wasn't enough so he swerved into my lane right in front of me, I guess just to show off his bigger ego or whatever and the final thing was he showed a thumbs up sign... yeah he probably was pissed for paying $4 per gallon for his 15 mpg ride... but I actually I appreciate that people don't flock around my car more then that. In 99% cases I need to be somewhere and I don't have time to answer questions that can be found on the internet.

davewill said:
mogur said:
That makes more sense than anything I thought of...after the LEAF isn't actually small, not like a Smart or Mini.
The number 1 thing people say to me, when I demo the LEAF, is "Wow, it's a real car! It's so much bigger than I thought it would be!"

gascant said:
davewill said:
mogur said:
The number 1 thing people say to me, when I demo the LEAF, is "Wow, it's a real car! It's so much bigger than I thought it would be!"
that was my impression when I saw it live at the dealership for the first time.
it was huge.

Maybe it's the bright blue color, but my LEAF sure isn't invisible. It just happened again tonight. I was waiting outside a store while my wife ran in "just for a minute". I noticed a couple about 20 feet away gawking, pointing, and talking to each other. I rolled the passenger window down and smiled at them. They came over full of questions, and we had a really nice ten-minute conversation while I was waiting for my wife's "minute".

Ray

In San Francisco Ive had people stop and ask me on several occasions if I like the Leaf or how much does it cost. Usually when I'm stopped in traffic or waiting in the car.
I even found a note once on the windshield when me and my wife I returned back to the Leaf parked in the China towns Port Smith Square Garage thanking me for buying the car and that they like the polar bear hug commercial. When I drive in traffic I'll sometimes over hear people point to the Leaf and say something like hey their's that Leaf electric car.

Danny

I think I have to disagree with GeorgeParrot. I think the Leaf is a perfect visual statement. The comparison was to the "iconic" prius that everyone recognizes, but your thinking is incorrect. Look at the prius right now, really look at the design on the car, now think of a civic or other small hatchback car. They are all reaaallly similar. In fact, I quite remember when the prius first came out I was always excited to see one on the road, but it was very difficult to really discern until you got really close to the vehicle. The only reason its so easy to spot now is because everyone knows exactly what a prius looks like AND they are more common now.

The difference between the prius and its other hatchback friends is the same small differences between the Leaf and its hatchback comparisons (like a versa). The leaf is just bold enough to be iconic to tell the difference from other hatchbacks but not too similar that you can't tell the difference (like a civic versus a civic hybrid). To me, this is the perfect mix. Different but not strange and weird.

Several situations:
My friend Garygid took his white LEAF to two "car shows". These were parking lot congregations that are periodically held in Southern California. Mostly classic giant ICE petroleum suckers and tricked out hot rods in attendence. Quite a few wanted to see about the car, especially under the hood (who knew?) and charging it.
I have another white LEAF. Gary and I drove them both to meet for lunch and then went to a Lowe's home improvement store. He parked, and a couple construction type guys pointed at the LEAF. Then I parked mine next to his. Double take! Spent a few minutes discussing the features with them. They approved, thought them to be great idea.
Don't see many people noticing the car on freeway, city streets, or in grocery store lots. I guess my white one blends into background. Pretty ordinary for a beach town in car culture country. You have to have a 57 Chevy Nomad or a real 40s woodie or a 55 T-bird or a 59 Vette to get any notice around here! In two weeks the local Chamber of Commerce will hold a 300 classic car display on the main street. I wonder if even one LEAF will show up?
Gregg

davewill said:
Isn't there a joke about this? Question: How are BMWs different from porcupines? Answer: With BMWs the pricks are on the inside.

SanDust said:
davewill said:
Isn't there a joke about this? Question: How are BMWs different from porcupines? Answer: With BMWs the pricks are on the inside.
When I'm at a stop light next to a BMW, I just throw the LEAF into D and punch it when the light turns green. Sweet, satisfying revenge.
BTW, in the space of 25 hours (1 day +1 hr) I saw 3 LEAFs on the road, and two of them waved. Driving home tonight, I saw the person in the passenger seat in the car behind me take out his iPhone and take a picture of me.

Back