Molykote M77 for axle click fix

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estomax

Hey Guys,

Where have you all bought the Molykote M77 that Nissan recommends for the axle clicking fix? Amazon seems to sell it in a 1 kg jar for 300 bucks, seems a bit excessive :) The nissan part number in the TSB points to seemingly the same jar too..

This is the TSB i am referring to:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171221-0001.pdf

Thanks!
Marko

Thanks learjet that links to the same 300$ jar and a few other molykote products that are not M77... there is a honda M77 labeled lube tube there though, anyone know if that is the same thing?

alozzy what product from liquimoly are you referring to? they sell lots of stuff.

Marko

estomax said:
Thanks learjet that links to the same 300$ jar and a few other molykote products that are not M77... there is a honda M77 labeled lube tube there though, anyone know if that is the same thing?...

According to someone on "bobistheoilguy", it's the same thing: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/loctite-lb-8012-vs-molykote-m77-for-brake-grease.356990/

- I am ready to do this same thing -

The noise been very annoying, perhaps after I remove and check the front/rear brake pad ( sparkling new at 120k miles ) ... dont know if I loose anything, but wheel remove/torque so I don't think anything loose since .

Anyone who done this, is this solve the front clicking noise upon acceleration ( the impressive 0-60 quarte mile speed :D ) ???

TIA,

red2015 said:
- I am ready to do this same thing -

The noise been very annoying, perhaps after I remove and check the front/rear brake pad ( sparkling new at 120k miles ) ... dont know if I loose anything, but wheel remove/torque so I don't think anything loose since .

Anyone who done this, is this solve the front clicking noise upon acceleration ( the impressive 0-60 quarte mile speed :D ) ???

TIA,

I had it done on mine, it does solve the stop and start "clicks", not related to brake pads engaging, etc. It depends on how annoying it is to you. I was told that the axle would probably need to be replaced before anything bad would happen and with a new axle, comes fresh spline lube, so it would be solved anyway if you had to go the new axle route. :?

estomax said:
Hey Guys,

Where have you all bought the Molykote M77 that Nissan recommends for the axle clicking fix? Amazon seems to sell it in a 1 kg jar for 300 bucks, seems a bit excessive :) The nissan part number in the TSB points to seemingly the same jar too..

This is the TSB i am referring to:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171221-0001.pdf

Thanks!
Marko

why? local indy shop charged me $50 for whole job and took 15 min

I contacted the vendor who makes the Honda M77 and was left with the impression its functionally equivalent to the Molykote. I ordered Molykote M77 from a specific vendor on Amazon (Central Texas Avition) because I talked to a real person who personally bought the Molykote in bulk and spatula'd it into the smaller containers. The other vendor never got back to my question of how they repackage it. Also when they say 1 oz it's the weight and since it's dense stuff, it's just over 1/2 oz by volume. I ended up using about half the container from the 2 axles and was not particularly clean and efficient.

Update: I ended up buying some Honda M77 at the dealer. It seems very similar to the Molykote M-77 that I have. Pretty sure they come from different sources but the formula is pretty basic- 60-70% moly disulfide in a high quality silicone oil with some thickeners.

Last edited:
Anyone who done this, is this solve the front clicking noise upon acceleration
Yes, I did this yesterday and it's completely resolved. It is now like it was when the car was new. It bothered me a lot and was getting worse in that it was taking less acceleration and braking to cause it. Someone posted that it got better but not completely gone and I can only guess that it was not done thoroughly or they didn't use the correct grease. I also taped the threads and applied a lot of grease on the outside of the axle. I don't want to do this again (at least not for 3 years if I have to at all) so I spent the $30 at Amazon for the real deal Molykote M77.

Last edited:
Back