Mixing load index on tires OK?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwhitney

Hello,

Had sidewall tire damage today so I needed to replace one tire (only 3500 miles on the LEAF). Ended up with an almost exact replacement: Ecopia EP422 P205/55R16 91H, while the OEM has a load index of 89. Does that matter? I had the tires rotated so the new tire is on the rear and the drive wheels have original tires with matched wear.

Thanks,
Wayne

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I have raced cars with mismatched brands and staggered sizes without problems. A different load rating? NBD...

TT

wwhitney said:
Had sidewall tire damage today so I needed to replace one tire (only 3500 miles on the LEAF). Ended up with an almost exact replacement: Ecopia EP422 P205/55R16 91H, while the OEM has a load index of 89. Does that matter?
The difference between load indices of 89 (1279 lbs) and 91 (1356 lbs) is about 6%. I wouldn't be at all concerned.

Wear-wise, given that the Ecopia has a UTQG of 400 and a warranty of 65K miles, both indicating wear qualities similar to the tires on Fred Flintstone's vehicle, I'd say that 3500 miles of wear, or 5% of the tire's expected life, is negligible. It should not upset neither the ABS nor the tire pressure sensor nor the suspension. If it was me, I wouldn't be concerned at all.

wwhitney said:
I had the tires rotated so the new tire is on the rear and the drive wheels have original tires with matched wear.
That's a good idea.

i know i have beat this point up, but do you think the OEMs sidewalls are a bit "fragile?"

i have replaced TWO tires. one i ran over a protruding pipe in my Sisters yard and it just nicked the sidewall. replaced at Goodyear, 91 rating.

the other was a small bubble i drove around on for a few months and got replaced at Nissan, rating 89...

hmmm, now the difference in the rating for what is supposed to be the same tire?

DaveinOlyWA said:
hmmm, now the difference in the rating for what is supposed to be the same tire?

Its a specially modified oem tire so that Nissan can get good EPA numbers.. ignore the $2 savings :)

What did they modify?.. probably shaved the thickness of the sidewall and thread areas. Has anyone compared the weight of the tires?

My guess is those that run the tires at stock pressure or lower tend to have more issues. The stock tires are horrible at under 40 PSI.

MrStian said:
But what if you go down on the rating? From 89 to 88?

probably not an option. the standard is 91. the OEM which is basically a special order is 89. probably be a different tire if you went lower

MrStian said:
But what if you go down on the rating? From 89 to 88?
You mean load rating changing from 1279 lbs to 1235 lbs (3%)? Personally, I'd just eat smaller meals, so as to not overwhelm the tires with my post-meal weight gain :D.

Seriously though, that's a difference in load capacity of 176 lbs, 1766 lbs versus 1590 lbs:
Code:
(1279 x 4 - 3350) - (1235 x 4 - 3350)
where:
1279 lbs: load index of 89
1235 lbs: load index of 88
3350 lbs: weight of LEAF

If it was me, I wouldn't be concerned.

The 88 vs's the 91 is a noticeable difference. It is mostly in the terms of flex in the sidewall as you drive around a corner. The car will adjust its weight and then settle into the corner with the 88s whereas the 91 just holds true. Granted I haven't tried this with the LEAF, but I have done this with other cars. Firestone rates their tires to the exact scale they are at whereas michelin underrates their tires. what they call an 88 is actually closer to a 91. HTH.

Back