May Deliveries Pushed to July

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LALeaf said:
Also, again for what it is worth, he also said that the VINs are assigned to customers while the cars are on the boat in transit and not after the cars are unloaded. Personally, I really doubt anything is done while the ship is enroute, I just can't see how that would work. Finally he said it is now 5 weeks from start of manufacture to delivery to the dealer, which again I doubt is true.
If that is true - then Nissan has again been lying to us by telling us they are trying to fix the out-of-order delivery issue... Otherwise, everyone with Oct/Nov/Dec orders would have gotten their VINs and have May/June ETAs while everyone else in Jan/Feb'11 orders would not.

Yet a bunch of dashboards today opened up w/VINs and there were a number of Feb'11 orders who got their VIN.

drees said:
LALeaf said:
Also, again for what it is worth, he also said that the VINs are assigned to customers while the cars are on the boat in transit and not after the cars are unloaded. Personally, I really doubt anything is done while the ship is enroute, I just can't see how that would work. Finally he said it is now 5 weeks from start of manufacture to delivery to the dealer, which again I doubt is true.
If that is true - then Nissan has again been lying to us by telling us they are trying to fix the out-of-order delivery issue... Otherwise, everyone with Oct/Nov/Dec orders would have gotten their VINs and have May/June ETAs while everyone else in Jan/Feb'11 orders would not.

Yet a bunch of dashboards today opened up w/VINs and there were a number of Feb'11 orders who got their VIN.
When I spoke to a Nissan CS supervisor he admitted Nissan was aware of the problem before the quake, but decided with the ramp up of production in March that the problem won't be really an issue (e.g. everyone would get their cars within a relatively short time to each other), so Nissan decided not to fix the reallocation problem. Even after the quake and the supply of cars limited, Nissan decided that they didn't want to upset the Jan/Feb orders by trying to fix the problem by reallocating those cars. Instead Nissan decided to try to fill the Sept/Oct orders by reallocating dealer demos, fleet vehicles and any orphans. The Nov/Dec orders were not considered in this reallocation because as he noted they didn't think there was a problem with those orders (not sure why, other than they knew there wasn't enough extra vehicles to reallocate).

So while they may have tried to fix the out of order problem for some, they didn't bother to fix it for everyone by reallocating all the cars by order date. I am amazed anyone would operate this way, and end up treating their customers (except a lucky few) so very poorly.

LALeaf said:
Nissan decided that they didn't want to upset the Jan/Feb orders by trying to fix the problem by reallocating those cars. Instead Nissan decided to try to fill the Sept/Oct orders by reallocating dealer demos, fleet vehicles and any orphans. The Nov/Dec orders were not considered in this reallocation because as he noted they didn't think there was a problem with those orders (not sure why, other than they knew there wasn't enough extra vehicles to reallocate).

This is the part that I find incredible. Nissan doesn't want to upset Jan/Feb orders so instead they dump on Sept-Dec 2010 orders. They then scramble to find cars for Sept/Oct orders and decide to ignore Nov/Dec orders.

So basically, the Nov/Dec cars are being used to backfill Sept/Oct 2010 (who deserve theirs first) and Jan/Feb 2011 orders (who don't).

In Nissan's bizarro world, this is a good plan.

Unbelievable. :shock:

leafkabob said:

Yes, good to keep the few happy, while pissing off the many.

I have watched repeatedly this week as my exact car is delivered to people who ordered 3 months after I did (one even to the my dealer, who was also shocked by the sequence of delivery), while I still have 1-2 months to go (if I am lucky) to get mine. All this while watching the CA refund pool start drying up ($500,000 gone in the last week alone). My wife and I can't believe that we want to do business with a company that treats its customers this way. We are are seriously starting to look at the Volt (will be going to a GM dealer this weekend). Thanks Nissan.

LALeaf said:
leafkabob said:

Yes, good to keep the few happy, while pissing off the many.

I have watched repeatedly this week as my exact car is delivered to people who ordered 3 months after I did (one even to the my dealer, who was also shocked by the sequence of delivery), while I still have 1-2 months to go (if I am lucky) to get mine. All this while watching the CA refund pool start drying up ($500,000 gone in the last week alone). My wife and I can't believe that we want to do business with a company that treats its customers this way. We are are seriously starting to look at the Volt (will be going to a GM dealer this weekend). Thanks Nissan.
The Sep/Oct orders in CA were always going to be safe for their $5k rebate even with the Jan/Feb guys jumped ahead. The individuals who will lose out on the $5k due to Nissan's snafu are almost certainly in that Nov/Dec group. I'm sure Nissan are well aware of the CA rebate situation, but it seems didn't think through the effect of their shamefully inadequate "corrective action" plan,.. especially given that they are STILL, this week, issuing VIN #'s to additional February orders (see Nissan...BADLY thread).

Summary of my call to CS today:
Q: Last month, CS told me my car (Nov 24 order, current delivery July) started production before the EQ but did not complete production. Given that it has now been almost 2 months since the EQ, has my car been produced?
A: Given that your delivery month is now July, your car is scheduled to be produced in June.
Q: How can this be? Why the further delay in production of my vehicle?
A: blah, blah, etc, (no real explanation).

Q: When is the VIN# assigned to an order ?
A: A VIN# is assigned to your order when the car is produced, or shortly thereafter, before it leaves Japan. The VIN# is revealed to you, appearing on your dashboard, about one month before delivery, which could be while the car is on the ship, or after delivery to Long Beach.

This seems consistent with:
drees said:
LALeaf said:
. . . he also said that the VINs are assigned to customers while the cars are on the boat in transit and not after the cars are unloaded.

I pointed this out to the CS lady, but got no real answer.

We can hope that no more errors are going into the pipeline, but they are apparently still coming out of the pipeline. I do not understand why VINs that have been assigned out-of-order but not yet revealed cannot be pulled back and reassigned in proper order.

tbleakne said:
We can hope that no more errors are going into the pipeline, but they are apparently still coming out of the pipeline. I do not understand why VINs that have been assigned out-of-order but not yet revealed cannot be pulled back and reassigned in proper order.

The later Feb orders getting VINS and late May delivery dates are not "errors." This is intentional on Nissan's part. They made a decision to not stop the 2011 orders from proceeding normally. They told me the same thing about my car being in production in February but because of the eq it was not finished. Actually, they did build my car -and yours- its just that they are being delivered to the 2011 orders. ;)

Today my dashboard went back to "pending." I had been a "May" delivery that got pushed to "July" after the earthquake. Hopefully this third "pending" is good news not bad news....

I had also told my dealer (post earthquake) that I would consider any available car in a different configuration/color if one became available.

Hi Martha! I read your post and think my heart stopped for just a bit. I logged into my account and it still says month of July.

I look around but don't see any one-way glass. I just KNOW there must be some psych students on the other side watching us check the Nissan website. :lol:

My dashboard went from July to Pending today. It was originally May and changed to July after the earthquake.

I have a bad feeling about this :(

tbleakne said:
The VIN# is revealed to you, appearing on your dashboard, about one month before delivery, which could be while the car is on the ship, or after delivery to Long Beach.quote]

That's a bunch of BS. I received my VIN sometime around the end of March. At that time my DB said 'week of Apr. 29'. So that would fit, BUT now it says 'week of May 26'. That's TWO months after I received my VIN.

camasleaf said:
I am a late October order date with delivery scheduled initially for May and than pushed to July.

I finally decided to contact CS and see if they have any information on my Leaf. I was told that the car is not in production yet (hence no VIN). But they agree that for an October order date I should get the car sooner and promise to look for a car.

About two hours later I received a phone call that they located a car for me on a ship that will dock in LA on May 9th, and estimate a June delivery now. Still no VIN.

I am waiting for the DB to update. :)

I called again today to see if "my" Leaf reached LA. CS said that all they can tell me is that the car is in production. And that they show no record of me contacting them on the 29th or them calling me back: "The last time you contacted us was for the Drive Tour in October 2010". :eek:

At least I am still July and not Pending!!! :)

UhClem said:
My dashboard went from July to Pending today. It was originally May and changed to July after the earthquake.

I have a bad feeling about this :(

Call me an optimist, but I think pending could be a good thing. Seems like I recall several people reporting that they went to pending just before getting a better (sooner) delivery date. Your change to pending coincides with a ship arriving.

On the other hand, I'm not trying to get your hopes up unnecessarily either.

leafkabob said:
UhClem said:
Call me an optimist, but I think pending could be a good thing. Seems like I recall several people reporting that they went to pending just before getting a better (sooner) delivery date. Your change to pending coincides with a ship arriving.

On the other hand, I'm not trying to get your hopes up unnecessarily either.
Well, my DB changed from "Pending" to "January 0001" today :shock:

That's progress, I'm just not sure whether it's backwards or forwards :roll:

I called Nissan CS again to check on the the additional delay for red. The person I talked to seemed pretty confident that it would be a 4-5 week delay which much better than 60 days as I was originally told. I decided to stay with red, but if they would have confirmed a 60 day delay I think I would have switched.

My dashboard also changed from Pending to "January 0001" and I can no longer see the "Edit Color" link.

I called my dealer (Connell) and they did not have any additional information either. She also sees "January 0001" for a lot of the orders in Feb/Mar. She was very nice and said she was going to send an e-mail to Nissan West region guy.

I'm hoping this is not a glitch and actually means that the car is now on the assembly line and will be here in July/Aug? :)

UhClem said:
Well, my DB changed from "Pending" to "January 0001" today :shock:

I put in my order this month; I had registered interest last year, but didn't get in before the reservation cutoff. So I had a car spec'd out and a preferred dealer chosen, but couldn't pay the reservation fee. Earlier this month, I got the 'reservations re-opened' mail, went and paid, and then within several hours I got a call from the dealer. Then it kicked to 'ordered' on the dashboard and sat with a 'Pending' in the dashboard until today, when suddenly it turned to 'month of January 0001.'

As I said in another thread, convincing Caesar to install EV charging stations throughout the Roman Empire is going to be a hassle! :lol:

From my communication with CS today:
Me - I hope you understand my frustration: On April 29 I am told the car is entering US 05/09. On 05/10 I am told it is still production. On 05/13 I am told it is not even in production yet. It is like going "back in time"
CS: I understand. That is a very frustrating situation.
Me : Next time I contact you I will be told I never ordered?
CS: Defiantly not. Better yet lets hope not.

How many of the October orders May then pushed to July are still out there?

Back