Maui's first electric rent-a-car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcoCarRental

I thought forum members would like to see our press release announcing the addition of the Leaf to our rental car fleet.

Maui, Hawaii – Maui based Bio-Beetle, Inc, the world’s only biodiesel rental car company, has expanded its business to include all electric vehicles. Their first electric rental offered is a 2011 Nissan Leaf.

“By offering the Leaf electric car in our fleet, Bio-Beetle continues its policy of offering the most environmentally friendly rental cars in the world” said Shaun Stenshol, President. The Leaf has an EPA fuel efficiency rating of 92-109 MPGe, making it one of the most fuel efficient cars sold in the United States. The term miles per gallon gasoline equivalent (MPGe or MPGge) is a measure of distance traveled per unit of energy consumption; energy content equivalent to that of a gallon of gasoline. More details about this electric rental car can be seen at http://www.evcarrentals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About Bio-Beetle, Inc.

Bio-Beetle opened its doors in January 2003 as the first rental car company in the world to rent only biodiesel vehicles to the public. Besides using biodiesel, Bio-Beetle is committed to broader environmental protection - no toxic chemicals are used to clean the cars, 100% recycled paper is used the office, they encourage recycling, they offer free loaners of coolers, boogie boards, reusable shopping bags etc. Bio-Beetle rents diesel Volkswagen Beetles and Jettas, the diesel Jeep Liberty. They recently added Toyota Prius gas hybrids that get 50mpg, and now the100% electric, plug in, Nissan Leaf.

For more information about Bio-Beetle ECO Rental Cars, visit them on the Web at http://www.bio-beetle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Here are a few news articles.
http://mauinow.com/2011/11/09/first-all-electric-rental-cars-come-to-maui/
http://www.mauitime.com/Articles-News-i-2011-12-01-76459.113117-BioBeetle-Turns-Over-A-New-Leaf.html
http://www.mauiweekly.com/page/cont...s-first-all-electric-rental-car.html?nav=5014

Congratulations on your new LEAF and thanks for posting.

We're frequent (about every one to two years) visitors to Maui, and Iv'e often thought that the distances and average speeds on the Islands make Hawaii perfect EV territory. Add to that the flexibility (solar, wind, etc.) of producing electric power versus 100% imported gasoline, and you have a perfect fit. I also love the idea that folks on vacation will be able to get a good idea of what it's like to drive an EV while on Maui, and many will come home impressed, I think.

One question: Some of your customers are going to want to do enough driving (Haleakala, Tedeschi Winery, Hana, Kapalua) that the range of the LEAF from when they pick it up from you is still going to be a challenge. Do any of the resorts have 220/240 volt charging stations set up, or perhaps any electric dryer or RV outlets at that voltage? Even trickle charging at 120 volts would be useful, but I would imagine that few parking lots have even 120 volt plugs available. What are your thoughts about these charging concerns?

EDIT: I just saw your other thread that mentions the charging stations at one resort, etc. (Just a comment, starting two threads makes things a bit disorganized and is discouraged.)

Aloha and good luck to you.

Boomer23 said:
Congratulations on your new LEAF and thanks for posting.

We're frequent (about every one to two years) visitors to Maui, and Iv'e often thought that the distances and average speeds on the Islands make Hawaii perfect EV territory. Add to that the flexibility (solar, wind, etc.) of producing electric power versus 100% imported gasoline, and you have a perfect fit. I also love the idea that folks on vacation will be able to get a good idea of what it's like to drive an EV while on Maui, and many will come home impressed, I think.

One question: Some of your customers are going to want to do enough driving (Haleakala, Tedeschi Winery, Hana, Kapalua) that the range of the LEAF from when they pick it up from you is still going to be a challenge. Do any of the resorts have 220/240 volt charging stations set up, or perhaps any electric dryer or RV outlets at that voltage? Even trickle charging at 120 volts would be useful, but I would imagine that few parking lots have even 120 volt plugs available. What are your thoughts about these charging concerns?

EDIT: I just saw your other thread that mentions the charging stations at one resort, etc. (Just a comment, starting two threads makes things a bit disorganized and is discouraged.)

Aloha and good luck to you.
Thanks for the comments.

The range limitation deffinitley makes renting a Leaf a challenge, but as more time goes by more charge stations will be installed. Hopefully there will be at least a few DC fast charges installed as well. In the short term, for the renter staying at a house or Bed & Breakfast with access to a 120 volt outlet it can work well. You're right that few parking lots have 120 volt outlets that are accessible.

I did drive the car from our office in Kahului up Crater road to Haleakala to see how far it would go and I got to the park entrance, which is 11 miles from the top, with 8 miles showing and 2 bars, so probably wouldn't make it to the top, but will come close. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Maui, Haleakala is a 10,000 plus foot mountain, and Kahului is at sea level. We'll eventually need a DC fast charger somewhere in between because Haleakala is a very popular place to visit on Maui. As I said in my other thread, I'm working with a local gas station owner about installing a DC fast charger. And with the announcement in November about Nissan coming out with a DC fast charger that will cost under $10k -http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2011/_STORY/111110-03-e.html - there's a better chance it will happen.

Shaun

Back