Math Class Statistical Survey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
You know, I still consider incandescent bulbs as green. No mercury and 100% efficient up here in Oregon where all the heat given off just helps heat my house as does the heat loss from the water heater & fridge. The plasma TV, electronics, computers, dryer and furnace also contribute because they are inside the living space. What is normally considered waste heat is being used.
Of course in the summer it's a different story if you have A/C and are combatting the heat load. I do not have A/C and have to run fans to cool the house at night. It stays light until 10 PM so I don't use much lighting.

Ok, I worked up a little pie chart in Excel:
MNLpiechart-e1303506997489.jpg

Basically, what I found was that members here who have never bought an EV until the Leaf tend to have more eco-products.
While those who have had EVs in the past tended to have less eco-products.

Therefore, there seems to be a correlation between first type EV buyers and being more environmentally conscious! Of course, this is rough data and a very small sample size, so there is a good chance this data would not be concise with a larger population. This is not how I arranged the data for class.

It should also be noted that there are likely other factors involved as well.

I used a total survey size of 16 people. Out of a total of 307 products, 83% of them were owned by first time EVers and 17% from long time EVers.

sdbmania said:
Basically, what I found was that members here who have never bought an EV until the Leaf tend to have more eco-products.
While those who have had EVs in the past tended to have less eco-products.

OR, those of us who have previous EVs were only counting the "big" things, and weren't considering all the energy star appliances and CFLs and not having AC as being "eco-products"... :)

So, to the PM I sent you, you can add in about a dozen CFLs, blew in insulation into our house walls, increased insulation in our attic, repaired ductwork and fully insulated to make that more efficient, a 90%+ gas furnace, high-efficient gas hot water heater, front loading washer, energy efficient dishwasher, energy star fridge, "green" labeled network switches (6 of them), scripted my computer to automatically shut down at night if I forget, LED flashlights (does that count? They make the rechargeable batteries last longer between charges), rechargeable batteries, I rarely wash my cars (although granted that's because I'm lazy, not because I'm trying to be environmentally friendly about it), we have a septic system so our waste water isn't being treated and it fertilizes our yard, and we have big trees and all kinds of plants on our property which are "cleaning the air"... :)

I assume there are probably a lot of other little things as well. Granted, I could list out a few dozen things that we have and do that probably negate all of the above as well, like an always-on security camera system, always on Tivo, often 3 computers are constantly running, etc, but we can ignore all those, right? :oops:

sdbmania said:
I used a total survey size of 16 people. Out of a total of 307 products, 83% of them were owned by first time EVers and 17% from long time EVers.
But what was the breakdown of first timers to old timers? You have to work out the number products per person for it to have any meaning.

live in house built in 2002 so all energy star appliances. owned 3 Priuses, a Zenn NEV and my Leaf.

i have been active in the community for years promoting recycling and simply reducing the use of our resources while focusing on water management techniques.

i only ride a bike for exercise and recreation so i guess i cant count that although we do do trips to corner grocery on it when the weather is nice. I also have ritual of taking Son to lunch every Tuesday. when weather is good we go to Subway on bike which is only a few blocks away. (for those of u that dont like Subway, there is actually a dozen options less than a mile so, its a very easy ride. mind you, my Son rides ON my bike)

here is pix. a bit old. he is about 18 months here, (he just turned 4, so a lot heavier. he is the "exercise" part of the bike ride!!)
ry%20on%20his%20bike%20seat.jpg

Back