March Deliveries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dealer *might* get to know the VIN at an earlier time than your CarWings becoming available, but a) I'm not sure of that; and b) as the mfg process gets bugs worked out, Nissan may change the process.

My mfg date is 12/11. So obviously the car was in Japan at the time. My CarWings opened 12/23. The car most likely was NOT yet in Long Beach. Other data/events indicate that the car was on a boat that arrived between Jan 3-6.

So ... in my case CarWings was *probably* the earliest availability of the VIN (except of course other Nissan databases to which neither we, the dealer or chat has access to). But it's interesting that the CarWings became available BEFORE the car arrived by boat. And that could change in the wave of March deliveries.

I note from the spreadsheet that some customers outside of California have April delivery dates, but almost no one in California does. I wonder if more March dates are coming for Californians on the list. Nissan certainly knows how to project April delivery when it feels like doing so.

evnow said:
LindaK said:
Ordered confirmed 9/15...Delivery date now states March, 2011.

Question for y'all... How are you finding out your VIN #s? Is that something my dealer might already know? Is Nissan corporate sending you this info email, or on your profile page?
When your Carwings opens up - you register in the Nissan Owner portal. The VIN shows up there.

The guess this happen when the car is about to land in Long Beach.

Thanks evnow!

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
Has anyone with a March delivery month seen any actual dates yet?
Well, the February people have moved to March 1st ...

Not good. The CS people say the dashboard updates a month before delivery, but they say all sorts of things that are inaccurate.

Check out this article

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110207/OEM01/110209840/1424

Those of us still waiting may need to be more patient because the ramp up in LEAF production is not too encouraging, and Japan will receive the bulk of the orders.

linkim said:
Check out this article

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110207/OEM01/110209840/1424

"But since it went on sale last month, Nissan has delivered only 53 units to customers in the United States"
I guess they have 53 unit number from this forum's Spreadsheet. Almost 100%.

Nissan faces delays for Leaf electric car in U.S.: report

NEW YORK | Sun Feb 6, 2011 5:45pm EST

(Reuters) - Japanese carmaker Nissan Motor Co has had some delays in delivering its Leaf electric automobile to U.S. customers, the Financial Times reported on its website on Sunday.

Nissan and its partner Renault SA, formally launched the zero emissions Leaf vehicle in December.

Nissan acknowledged bottlenecks in its quality assurance procedures and distribution delays because of the Leaf's Internet-based ordering system, which bypasses U.S. dealers, the Financial Times reported, citing Nissan's U.S. spokesman David Reuter.

He did not immediately return a request from Reuters to comment on the report.

Nissan expects the congestion to ease by April but said production was on schedule, the Financial Times reported.

Nissan and Renault have earmarked $5 billion over the next few years to mass-produce electric vehicles and the batteries that power them

I read that yesterday, but I'm having a hard time understanding it.

So the first reason for the delays is because of the quality assurance procedures. That part I get; they want to be careful and fully check out the cars. That would explain a trickle of cars (like in January). It doesn't explain a drought of cars, like in February.

The second reason for the delays is because of the "Internet ordering system, which bypasses dealers"? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. They have hundreds of customers waiting for the cars, with the dashboards indicating delivery dates. And more that say "pending". So how does the Internet ordering system have anything to do with delaying those deliveries?

I'm still scratching my head...

Randy said:
The second reason for the delays is because of the "Internet ordering system, which bypasses dealers"? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. They have hundreds of customers waiting for the cars, with the dashboards indicating delivery dates. And more that say "pending". So how does the Internet ordering system have anything to do with delaying those deliveries?
The infamous Critical Mass strikes again ?

Despite the overall poor quality of the web site, I can't see any reason to blame it for the slow down in delivers. At this point, Nissan can figure out how early they need to open dashboards for ordering to allow for the clunkiness of their order process. The first reason is sufficient to explain the delay.

The good news in the article is they are producing 120 leafs a day, and that would be enough to satisfy all the reservationists in Japan, USA, and Europe by the end of 2011, even assuming a fairly high conversion rate. If they do ramp up to 240 a day, even sooner.

Gonewild said:
PR spinning.

Pure and simple. They could have multiple issues with the cars and suppliers as well, what is in the press is likely only true if it's good news:)

Randy said:
because of the "Internet ordering system, which bypasses dealers"? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Oh, I get it. They're building plenty of cars. It's just that their web site and database are so bad that they can't figure out who is supposed to get what car in what city. ;) MyNissanLeaf could come to the rescue here by offering up turbo2ltr's tracking spreadsheet http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1949&start=0 and then the flood gates would open for deliveries.

Azat said:
linkim said:
Check out this article
"But since it went on sale last month, Nissan has delivered only 53 units to customers in the United States"
I guess they have 53 unit number from this forum's Spreadsheet. Almost 100%.
If this article is taking numbers from a very unofficial, volunteer based spreadsheet, you can take pretty much everything else in the article with a few grains of salt (at least)...

Dealer called today. I'm scheduled for a March delivery (no date yet).
I ordered on October 30 or 31 :D

Back