Loss of Functionality Due to Battery Degradation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

what has not been discussed (or has been buried!!) is anyone who has seen capacity loss. in their personal situations (no speculation here) are they a battery bar away from having to park the Leaf and investigate alternative forms of transportation

ok, what we dont need here is "if my employer did not allow me to plug in, i would not make it"

what we want is people TRULY in danger of being stranded on the side of the road because their Leaf can no longer get them where they had planned to go when they bought the Leaf.

if you want; you can extrapolate your current rate of loss to say, "right now i am getting home with 15% charge when before it was 25% charge and should be near turtle in "X" months"

Right now I'm starting out with 89-92% (Gidometer) and getting home with 25-29%. This time last year I was starting out with 97-100% and getting home with more or less the same. If I look at where I'm expending fuel, I'm loosing the bars at more or less the same number of miles too.

Now, admittedly, I haven't lost any fuel bars yet. But if there is anything to be taken from my own "loss" it's that for some reason it's not being noticed in terms of functionality when it comes to my own circumstances.

I'd probably have to lose 60% or more of my capacity before my Leaf would become a burden to me. I drive 10 miles per day with occasional trips of 40 miles.

DaveinOlyWA said:
what has not been discussed (or has been buried!!) is anyone who has seen capacity loss.
WTF? Not been discussed? Buried? :roll:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeekEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
what has not been discussed (or has been buried!!) is anyone who has seen capacity loss.
WTF? Not been discussed? Buried? :roll:
You left out the next sentence in the quote. He's talking about someone complaining that they can't make their daily commute any more, or can't make an extra side trip that used to be no problem, or at least someone who reports getting to LBW/VLBW/Turtle when they didn't used to.

davewill said:
You left out the next sentence in the quote. He's talking about someone complaining that they can't make their daily commute any more, or can't make an extra side trip that used to be no problem, or at least someone who reports getting to LBW/VLBW/Turtle when they didn't used to.
I didn't get that from his post. Owing to poor grammar and punctuation, I took it as two discrete thoughts. One stating that capacity loss discussion had been buried, the other asking if people having such loss were close to being stranded. It would make more sense if you interpreted it as:
What has not been discussed (or has been buried) is anyone who has seen capacity loss to the point where, in their personal situations (no speculation here), they are a battery bar away from having to park the Leaf and investigate alternative forms of transportation.
In that case, yes, I haven't seen that discussion either. :D

Before we got our Leaf, we all figured our driving need, subtracted the expected 20% range reduction and then determined whether we wanted to get one.

What I want to know is how close anyone is to losing the range they needed to get to make the car a viable option.

Take me. My longest regular trip is 64 miles. In winter I get 75 miles with minimal climate control. I fugues this option would be gone within about 2 years. This does not look to be the case.

Add to that that I can get 85 miles in summer with the A/C blasting.

**edit**
sorry posting on phone at work and had "work" interrupt and it posted accidentally or something i guess

But before i got the Leaf, i told myself i needed 50 miles otherwise it would not be worth getting the Leaf. now, i was NEVER in the 100 mile camp and Nissan's mileage chart when it came out i was on board for most of it. i had doubts about the 132 mile part and that has pretty much been verified that it might be possible somewhere but not here.

now, i drove a Zenn for 3½ years so battery degradation and driving distances i was VERY familiar with so i guessed that even with 30% degradation, i would still be able to do 90% of what i wanted the vehicle for and was guessing/hoping that public charging would be developed waaaay before that to where i could get back to my 100% level of usage and that has already happened so i am pretty much set

but this thread is not about me. its about ones who thought about it, planned it and determined whether the stated limitations would work for them.
davewill is right on the money. i want to know who is close to being no longer able to use the car as planned either through battery degradation

adric22 said:
I'd probably have to lose 60% or more of my capacity before my Leaf would become a burden to me. I drive 10 miles per day with occasional trips of 40 miles.

Same here. I roundtrip 22 miles a day. Trickle charge usually stops at 80 percent by around 11:30 pm every night. My Leaf can lose some big time capacity and it would have no effect on me.

DaveinOlyWA said:
What I want to know is how close anyone is to losing the range they needed to get to make the car a viable option.

Take me. My longest regular trip is 64 miles. In winter I get 75 miles with minimal climate control. I fugues this option would be gone within about 2 years. This does not look to be the

I'm beginning to have doubts that a r/t to LAX (70 miles) might not be possible without some charging in the not too distant future. It's always been a bit tight with the two of us and a couple of hundred pounds of luggage on board (typically have gotten home with ~8% remaining on the Gidometer).

mwalsh said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Take me. My longest regular trip is 64 miles. In winter I get 75 miles with minimal climate control. I fugues this option would be gone within about 2 years. This does not look to be the

I'm beginning to have doubts that a r/t to LAX (70 miles) might not be possible without some charging in the not too distant future. It's always been a bit tight with the two of us and a couple of hundred pounds of luggage on board (typically have gotten home with ~8% remaining on the Gidometer).

Michael; i am guessing that 70 miles on the LA freeway was just about a full charge anyway. here in Summer, (much cooler temps mind you) with A/C and driving 60 mph, i get 85 miles. Nissan really did a great job on the A/C. it barely affects the range

mwalsh said:
Right now I'm starting out with 89-92% (Gidometer) and getting home with 25-29%. This time last year I was starting out with 97-100% and getting home with more or less the same. If I look at where I'm expending fuel, I'm loosing the bars at more or less the same number of miles too.

Now, admittedly, I haven't lost any fuel bars yet. But if there is anything to be taken from my own "loss" it's that for some reason it's not being noticed in terms of functionality when it comes to my own circumstances.

Ditto.... :cool:

As everybody else, I've been noticing large variations (20-30%) in energy efficiency due to external factors (temperature, wind, rain) while driving the same route at the same speed everyday for the past 15 months (23K miles driven). But so far, I wasn't able to determine any decrease in the distance I can drive. Disclaimer: no GID meter here - only bar reading.

If I lost 25%, I would no longer make it to work and back on a full charge. Every winter I will be encountering this problem. Arizona folks need to realize they aren't alone. While my problem might not be permanent, the loss of functionality every winter is probably worse than what they will experience in 5 years of desert degradation.

kubel said:
If I lost 25%, I would no longer make it to work and back on a full charge. Every winter I will be encountering this problem. Arizona folks need to realize they aren't alone. While my problem might not be permanent, the loss of functionality every winter is probably worse than what they will experience in 5 years of desert degradation.

Yes, we know we are not alone. Texas, LV, and Palm Springs will likely join us. You, however, will not. To say your degradation will be worse than ours in 5 years is not only ludicrous, but ignorant. When your temps reach 0 F, your temporary capacity loss will be about 17-18%. After just one year here we have at least one with over 21% (2 bars) and we know there will be many more throughout the summer months. So just be thankful yours will be temporary.

LEAFfan said:
kubel said:

Yes, we know we are not alone. Texas, LV, and Palm Springs will likely join us. You, however, will not. To say your degradation will be worse than ours in 5 years is not only ludicrous, but ignorant. When your temps reach 0 F, your temporary capacity loss will be about 17-18%. After just one year here we have at least one with over 21% (2 bars) and we know there will be many more throughout the summer months. So just be thankful yours will be temporary.

Actually, if your battery is replaced in the future, whether at Nissan's expense or at yours, your loss will have been temporary, while kubel's seasonal loss will remain permanent.

Everyone considering the purchase of a LEAF should have been aware of the basic realities of the Battery pack, that cold temperatures would adversely effect range, and hotter ambient temperatures would accelerate battery degradation.

IIRC, all last winter we had bitch threads about reduced range from LEAF owners in cold weather regions, now we have multiple bitch threads about how Nissan deceived hot regional climate buyers.

Everyone's LEAF is experiencing battery degradation. It is entirely possible that Cold climate LEAFs will still average lower winter range in future years, as they will also have their (presumably lesser) capacity losses compounded by seasonal low temperature effects.

AFAIK, we do not know if 10% or 90% of Arizona LEAFs have already or will lose a bar during their first two summers, and if that bar loss actually corresponds to a 15% permanent battery capacity, something more, or something less.

Most importantly, we do not know how Nissan will respond, when some Hot-climate Leafs capacity falls below the 70%-80% of the original capacity Nissan has publicly stated that owners should expect after 8 years.

I'd suggest you gather information on your own LEAF, using Gid/SOC meters, Carwings battery capacity reports, or maximum range tests.

If you feel your LEAF has lower capabilities than Nissan promoted, which IMO, would be indicated by a permanent and verified loss of capacity, during moderate temperatures, you should attempt to have Nissan repair or replace your battery, to bring it up to the with capacity range with their public pronouncements.

If I had actually lost two capacity bars in under two years, and also found an over 20% permanent loss in actual capacity and range, I would probably be doing this now, and posting my results here. I hope that those of you who have reported seeing this, can add more detail about these LEAF owners' experiences.

Ed is right. loss is loss. there are some like me (illustrated in earlier post) where only a small 10% loss would greatly impact a commute option especially in colder climates during winter. i personally think Kubel will have it much better than i do.

he will have the winter package that i do not. granted his winters are much colder (graduated from HS in Port Huron so this is not a guess!) than mine, but there have been a few people who traded in their 2011 Leafs for the 2012 and the seat heaters and steering wheel heaters makes a HUGE difference in comfort level with a minimal hit to range.

the 2013's i feel will address a lot of issues. it is becoming apparent to me that us early adopters were guinea pigs in many ways. Nissan has listened and has been very proactive in providing significant changes in each MY so far. now the 2013's besides the obvious charger upgrades also alluded to better battery management/climate controls. now, we all assumed it was addressing cold weather since at the time of the announcement, that was the popular topic. i am guessing Nissan knew about the AZ battery degradation since battery checks are required (have a MUCH better understanding of that requirement now) and they get all the details

either way, all this is off topic. what is becoming apparent right now is that most of us seeing a range loss can still do what we needed to do at least for the time being.

it would appear maybe a few are near the point where they might not make it...now, i dont count increased range anxiety which seems to cover 95% (all but the "Efficiency King") of AZ'ns right now. But most have a long way to go even with their loss before it impacts the planned use of their Leaf.

so, immediate action on Nissan's part does not seem to be the wisest course because no one is in dire straits. now, we have had people who got a Leaf, tried it a while and either had hiccups in their charging plans and had to let them go.

Now, those people i really feel for because they simply did not get the expected support from either their employers, HOAs or what have you. add to that, a much slower than expected rollout from Blink with a non existent time table and they were left with no options.

now the winter commute SO does is 64 miles RT. can do 75 miles without heat, about 70 with heat. so as you can see, as soon as there is range degradation this trip is out. now there is a QC that is a few miles from the Centrailia destination this winter trip involves so its still doable but she works 10 hour shifts and would be HIGHLY unlikely to want to stop for a 5 minute top off. (when the battery is less than 50% SOC the first couple Kwh come in at about 120-150 seconds so 5 minutes would be plenty)

so the Leaf is becoming more workable all the time based on charging infrastructure improvements but guessing they have been slower than Nissan had hoped. here's hoping that the government can see fit to get someone else and expand the coverage and bolster the current coverage.

Here's an interesting data point for you. Today I had to drive to the Convention Center, a 38 mile drive. The most recent duplication of this very same journey prior-to was the week before Thanksgiving last year.

Now I don't know what I started out from home with, Gid-wise, last November, but I do remember that I was paying careful attention to what remaining percentage of charge I'd arrived with. And I'd arrived there on both days with ~49% remaining, according to the Gidometer.

Fast-forward to today and I arrived with 47.3%/133 gids remaining (after starting out with 90%/253 gids). This was WITH a passenger AND with the air conditioning on, neither of which held true in November. So not really the massive difference I was half-expecting.

Of course, you could say that winter was cooler, so the batter was not at peak efficiency. But I've always been able to cover 35 miles over relatively flat land and arrive with around 50% left showing on the Gidometer, irrespective of season.

So, once again I'm thinking, "OK, so maybe I've lost a little capacity at the top. But, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be negatively affecting the functionality for me". Unless, that is, things go to heck quicker towards the bottom of the pack. One of these days I'll really have to check that out.

TangoKilo said:
mwalsh said:

Ditto.... :cool:

This answer does not make sense. Your Gid numbers are lower at the start, but you end up with the same final result at the end of the day. Either you are more efficient, or the Gid loss you are "seeing" is not really a loss of capacity at all.

edit: I see you have come to the same conclusion in the latest post.

palmermd said:
This answer does not make sense. Your Gid numbers are lower at the start, but you end up with the same final result at the end of the day. Either you are more efficient, or the Gid loss you are "seeing" is not really a loss of capacity at all.

edit: I see you have come to the same conclusion in the latest post.

I'm thinking some combination of:

A) improved driving technique
B) regeneration kicking in sooner
C) numbers that may not be reporting acurately (though this is an outside chance, IMHO)

mwalsh said:
Here's an interesting data point for you. Today I had to drive to the Convention Center, a 38 mile drive. The most recent duplication of this very same journey prior-to was the week before Thanksgiving last year...

single trips are extremely difficult to quantify. only repeated trips averaged over say at least 10 events should be considered.

i tracked my commutes as well and having had two different ones (my current one is not very repeatable due to its nature and traffic conditions) that were pretty routine, even those had a pretty good variance from one seemingly identical circumstances to another.

another thing to consider; A/C is very efficient. i dont see much of a hit on its usage at all compared to using heat. i would say maybe 85 miles w/o it, 82 miles with it? of course it all depends on temps. my figures could be because we are not having record heat here (tues it was 11º below normal) and temps are expected to be slightly below normal for the next week or so.

but performance is so dependent on the driver not the car. negotiating traffic flow is the biggest factor, not the battery

Back