Looking for threads on Charging station vs. EVSE upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlegro

I couldn't find anything in Search about the wisdom of installing a $1,000 charging station vs. an after-market upgrade of the EVSE for my 2012 Leaf SL. I'm in Los Angeles, and the DWP approved my application for the $2,000 rebate for installing the charging station (which I still have to buy for $800+) and a separate meter. But I see sites marketing upgrades for the 120v EVSE to be able to charge from a 240v socket without a charging station (like this one: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - "the #1 charging solution for LEAF owners in the US!").

I think it would be cheaper just to have an electrician install a 240v socket where I need it and buy the thing for $287, and my wife would appreciate it because she doesn't want "an ugly plasticky box" on the side of the house. But I don't know if these upgrades work as well as claimed or if there are downsides to the upgrade, like damage to the EVSE or the car, or if one model is better or worse than another. And Search wasn't helping despite several tries at wording the search. But I know the topic must be here somewhere. So thanks in advance.

It's been discussed, but usually as part of a differently-titled threads.

Advantages to EVSE Upgrade

1. Cheapest option that is not DIY.
2. Portable -- with proper adapters, can plug into a wide variety of outlets including 120 volt.

Disadvantages:

1. Can only go up to 20 amps (16 on the older EVSEs), so it won't charge a 6.6 kW Leaf at "full speed." (Won't matter with your 2012 Leaf)
2. If you frequently have to charge away from home, it can get very old to have to stow and remove the portable EVSE; with a separate EVSE at home, you only have to do this when you're away from home.
3. If you lease, you either have to find someone to trade your upgraded unit for a stock one plus cash, or give up your investment and leave it in the car.

People who have had their EVSE's upgraded by EVSE Upgrade seem to be quite happy with the work.

I have used the EVSEUpgrade for a year and am completely satisfied with it. I leave it permanently plugged into my electric dryer outlet. I carry the EVSE that came with the LEAF with me for the rare occasional charging at relative's home.

Thanks RonDawg and Becky50. :D That just about seals it for me - also means that if we move we don't have to uninstall a charger and don't need an electrician familiar with installing the thing. Is there any advantage to buying a new upgraded EVSE vs. having them upgrade your original? Aside from the extra $75 plus the refundable $800 deposit?

The $75 extra is for the Advance replacement option, it's not getting a whole new unit. What that allows is for you to not be without charging while we upgrade your existing unit.

A new unit is considerably more (blame Nissan for this cost) and usually doesn't make sense.

Many new owners opt for a second unit, but after a few months of ownership, they realize that the second unit is rarely needed. This is even more the case if the area you live in has many available public charging stations.

I recommend you save the money and only get your original unit upgraded unless you are in an area with no public charging and intend on squeezing many long distance trips in as possible.

If you have a 2012 LEAF all you need is a minimum 20A circuit (NEMA L6-20 outlet), but we recommend you at least pull wiring capable of 30A for possible future upgrades.

We have thousands of LEAF owners charging daily using our upgraded unit, and any owner will tell you they are the most reliable units on the market. Due to the low cost, many LEAF owners opt for the upgrade as a backup for a wall-mounted unit also. (Many of the "free" Ecotality Blink units were notoriously unreliable!)

-Phil

Keep in mind that you can also get plug-in, wall mounted EVSE's (like the VersiCharge) that you can easily take with you should you move. I went that route since I like the idea of always having the trickle charger in the car, and the VersiCharge is much more over-built than the Nissan one. Plus, this way I can charge at a full 30 amps. And (maybe Phil knows more about this), but with the Oregon rebate included, I get 50% of my costs back. Not sure you can claim the upgrade, which makes the two costs about equal for me (once you include the installation of the plug).

The utility of the upgrade is crazy, though. With the VersiCharge, while I can slide it off the wall really easily, it's huge and only has a 6-50 plug on it, which you can find pretty much nowhere. With the upgrade you can plug into pretty much any outlet you can find. If I ever get into the habit of longer road trips, I'll probably do the upgrade anyway.

pkulak said:
Keep in mind that you can also get plug-in, wall mounted EVSE's (like the VersiCharge) that you can easily take with you should you move. I went that route since I like the idea of always having the trickle charger in the car, and the VersiCharge is much more over-built than the Nissan one. Plus, this way I can charge at a full 30 amps. And (maybe Phil knows more about this), but with the Oregon rebate included, I get 50% of my costs back. Not sure you can claim the upgrade, which makes the two costs about equal for me (once you include the installation of the plug).

The utility of the upgrade is crazy, though. With the VersiCharge, while I can slide it off the wall really easily, it's huge and only has a 6-50 plug on it, which you can find pretty much nowhere. With the upgrade you can plug into pretty much any outlet you can find. If I ever get into the habit of longer road trips, I'll probably do the upgrade anyway.

I built one of the Juicebox chargers.....besides the kit ($149+16 shipping), Oven input cord (14-50 plug, $24), Leviton 30-amp J1772 cord (Amazon/Warehouse Deals, $156 delivered), and some solder tabs, and a spare nut (a couple of bucks). Total out the door was $348, plus putting in the 14-50 receptacle next to my electrical panel (your price will vary).

If I need to take it with me, I can. It charges at the full 6.6kw (220.2v, 30.04 amps when tested), and meets my needs.....Yes, I could have gotten the Bosch unit for $550 + tax + shipping (around $625 when I had an order in, if I remember right). But this works for me.....

If you have ANY soldering skills, this is a fairly safe and easy kit (only unsafe part is getting the amp clamp meter in there while powered to set max charging current)...

The only changes I made from the kit instructions is to double nut the ground bolt (hence the spare nut), and to solder the J1772 wires into the lugs, instead of just crimping or hammering to crimp...

This kit works for me, but I also have a free (so far) L3 Aerovironment charger about 3 miles from my house, that I stop by and get a quick charge to 80% on the way home (a free 10-15KW of juice in under 1/2 hour) before topping off at home....the 120V trickle worked for me, but I wanted something faster if I needed it (or when the DCQC is being used by someone else on my way home), and I like having the JuiceBox I can update for my next EV (since it's design will go to 60A).

Like many, many others I use EVSE Upgrade for all my home charging, and have done so for 2½ years now. It has never let me down. Back when I got my unit Nissan was charging far less than they are now for a new one, so that's the route I took, and I have felt stupid about doing so ever since. I have never really needed to use my trickle charge cord away from home, and on the rare cases where I thought it was a possibility it would have been no big deal to unplug the upgraded unit and take it with me. Most of the time you know you can make it home (perhaps by slowing down) or get to a public charging station if you need it.

So, no worries, be happy. Get your unit upgraded. Keep adapters in the car for 120v, electric dryer, and RV park, and toss in the EVSE the few times a year - or even a month - when you think you might possibly need it.

There are exceptions, of course. If I needed to charge at work every day from a 120v outlet I would probably change my story.

Ray

Back