Limited regen just in the morning...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moof

For the second time in the last week I had an odd behavior only driving into work. Regen topped out at 10-12kW for no apparent reason. In summer I only charge to 80%, so I am used to getting at least 20kW of regen, and usually get all the way up to 30 kW if the battery is above 70F. The first time was end of last week when our heat really kicked in and it made no sense, but I shrugged it off after it was fine for the rest of the day. I hate how different the braking feels with reduced regen, really kind of eerie when you are not expecting your cars handling to be suddenly different in the morning.

We've had warm weather as of late (mid-90's for the highs, and cooling off to ~60F at night), which I think is part of the culprit.

Today it did it again and it was odd enough that I went ahead of shut it off and back on again at a red light, but the behavior persisted. So I fired up Leaf Spy for grins and giggles and the only odd thing was that temperature difference between sensors was a full 5 degrees (83 to 88F). By the time I went home the difference was back to just under 3 degrees and regen was completely back to normal.

Is this a known "normal" behavior?

My SOH is only 81% and I do have the P3227 update already but I don't see more than 20 KW regen no matter what.

A full charge to me is 93% SOC (as shown by leafspy) at most, often it stops between 92.5% and 93%.

Mine is a 2012 SL with one bar lost, that I bought used a few months ago.

It seems like I get access to another 5KW regen for each ~5% below 95% I am on SOC%. So I don't see the full 20KW until I'm around 75.5% SOC or less.

Do you still have 12 battery capacity bars? Do you know your SOH%? Do you have visibility to SOC% while driving?

Back