Leviton EVSE Group Buy - Are you interested ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Is anyone here interested in gathering up a group buy list for the Leviton EVSE?

Once they announce the official prices, we could group together for a decent discount.

Anyone interested?

edit :

Here is the link to the 1.5MB pdf brochure.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vxpzfhwc11f6gyv

mxp said:
Is anyone here interested in gathering up a group buy list for the Leviton EVSE?

Once they announce the official prices, we could group together for a decent discount.

Anyone interested?

I'm interested, though it's unclear to me that they would actually offer a discount for a "group" purchase since most likely we would have individually purchased their product anyway.

earther said:
mxp said:

Anyone interested?

I'm interested, though it's unclear to me that they would actually offer a discount for a "group" purchase since most likely we would have individually purchased their product anyway.

Many vendors will, if this EVSE looks good I would be interested in doing this as I will likely have access to any wholesale pricing available via my business.

earther said:
mxp said:

Anyone interested?

Sign me up too. Leviton is my choice so far.

mxp said:

Anyone interested?

Good idea. Can you start a new thread on this ?

Okay, looks like we do have people interested in the Leviton product.

I have the contact details of the rep I met whilst at the 2010 Plug-In expo and will speak to him about our combined interests.
When I asked how would Leviton differentiate themselves from the rest of the market, he did state something to "... low price leadership and years of credibility the electrical industry..". The key word low price grabbed me.

Anyways, pls do continue to add your interest on this thread and I will pick up the numbers from here.

Add me to the list of interested folks.

It would be really helpful if some of the folks that have a good understanding of the features and benefits of the chargers could put together a spreadsheet with what each offers. Will a unit be able to charge at both 3.3kw and 6.6kw? What are the purchasing and install options? Hardwired install, or plug install? Length of cord? What are the features of the software interface? Safety features?

If there is any way to develop such a spreadsheet - it would be great not only for people here, but also would hold the manufacturers accountable for what they are offering. Truth in advertising - exposed!

I'm afraid that I don't understand enough details of the chargers and would really like to get an better understanding of the value proposition that each vendor offers.

LakeLeaf:

Most vendors do not yet have UL "listed" products, so they have been skimpy with the details. Ignoring Level 3 (Quick) charging (high power, both high voltage and high current):

There are several parameters that you must evaluate to match your "needs" (and "wants"):

1. Voltage: 120v or 240v, the higher voltage is generally harder to access, and the lower is found most everywhere. However, charging rates are generally 2 to 5 times faster with the 240v connections.

2. The Charging Current: Circuits are limited by the Circuit Breaker (fuse) that "feeds" the wires. Breakers of 15, 20, 30, 40, and 50-amps are typical. Since EV charging is considered a "continuous" load, only 80% of the breaker's rated current may be used for charging (12, 16, 24, 32, 40 amps).

3. Car's Charging Current: Even when "offered" very high currents, the car is designed to have its own maximum current-usage limits. The USA model LEAF, as we expect it, will have a limit of 15 (or maybe 16) amps, and possibly only 12 amps in some conditions. Offer it more, and it will not use it. In the future, the limit will probably be double that, 30 (or 32) amps. The higher the current, the faster the car charges its batteries.

4. Delivering Current to the Car: Residential Electrical laws (NEC 625) regulate EV charging at home. Primarily, the "extension cord" from your home wiring must a special (expensive) "safety" connection, with a special "J1772" plug on the car's end, to match the "J1772" socket in the car, very reasonable. The cord's length is typically 15 to 25 feet, the maximum allowed, it seems.

5. Getting Current from the House: A "safety controller box" (an Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (or EVSE for short) device) is required, and expected by the car, so a simple extension cord cannot be used. The EVSE can be big or small, heavy or light, ugly or not. The EVSE typically mounts permanently on a wall (hard-wired to the electrical circuit), or (more rarely) is "portable" (plugs into a wall-mounted socket).

6. EVSE Types: The 120v EVSE's are called "Level 1", are typically plug-in, limited to 12 or 15 amps, and charge "slowly", at low power. They are considered "less dangerous" to use, but 120 volts can still kill a person. The 208 to 240 volt EVSEs are called "Level 2", usually (but not always) hard-wired, higher current (typically 15 to 32 amps), and the higher power charges more quickly, IF the car can use the higher currents. The present LEAF is limited, see above.

7. Actually Charging: Assuming other loads on the circuit are not a problem (not ON while charging), the EVSE is "set" to offer the car a maximum current, "matching" the ratings of the breaker that is supplying it (16 amps for a 20 amp breaker). The car is supposed to read and respect that limit, or risk "tripping" the breaker (blowing the fuse).

Enough for now. For most people, even this is a lot to consider.

That is why Nissan arranged for a "turn-key" service for most people, to get a 240v, Level 2, 30 amp max EVSE installed in their garage (from AreoVironment), with a 3-year warranty. If AV's bidding on their installations gets "fixed" (lowest reported bid so far is $1500), it may be a reasonable solution for many folks, for overnight charging at home.

Not everybody needs the Level 2 EVSE, and the Nissan-supplied Level 1 EVSE may be sufficient for some.

Leviton and others will be offering EVSEs for purchase by year end, it seems. Here, we are waiting to hear more about the Leviton EVSEs because they might be reasonably priced, and plug-in units.

Yes, I am interested as well. I think we need to negotiate for all 3 models, some will want the minimum, while some will want the big boy 40/50A model for "future proofing", of course it will all depend on the pricing as well.

http://www.evrgreenchargers.com/Level2Chargers.htm

20A model (L6-20 outlet), 16A max output, max power 3840 watts, 3.84KW (standard 2011 Leaf V1 3.3KW onboard charger)

30A model (L6-30 outlet), 24A max output, max power 5760 watts, 5.76KW (a little bit undersized for the 2012? Leaf V2's 6.6KW onboard charger, but probably good enough [short by 6.6-5.76 or .84KW)

40/50A model (L6-50 outlet), 40A max output, max power 9600 watts, 9.6KW (sized large enough to handle the 2012? Leafs V2 upgraded 6.6KW charger at full power, and a bit more for an EV that has up to a 9.6KW onboard charger)

please state which one you are interested in... will help when it comes down to making the deal

I am also interested in their 120v model, in addition to the 16-amp model. The others too, if they are not too large, heavy, or expensive.

Why is the "big" unit so ... BIG?
It should be essentially the same as the "little" model.

mitch672 said:
20A model (L6-20 outlet), 16A max output
30A model (L6-30 outlet), 24A max output
40/50A model (L6-50 outlet), 40A max output

please state which one you are interested in...

my guess is that I'll probably be going for the minimal configuration (my daily commute is <20mi, and I don't mind a 12+hr charge time). However, if the price differential is small enough, I could be talked into upgrading to the next step up just for future scalability. I suppose a lot depends on the various price points and the exact specs of how the Leaf interacts with each.

Back