Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimeHorse said:
Hopefully, the Evr-Green 160 will be out by the end of the year since the Focus is supposed to be branded with it by then and of course the delay has already become interminable.
I am very sure the Focus will be branded with the 320 as Focus has about 6.6Kw charger.

smkettner said:
I am very sure the Focus will be branded with the 320 as Focus has about 6.6Kw charger.
Excellent point. Could have waited because in my area the LEAF and Focus EV go on sale about the same time, if Ford is to be believed! :roll:

garygid said:
Note that typical Residential 240v AC is NOT more than 150v AC from Ground.
So, this section would/might apply ONLY to High-Current (over 60 amp) EVSEs, of which there are very few.
Right?
However, I have one: the CS-100 is rated up to 80A. But my electrician had the manual and filed the paperwork so I assume the county was made aware of all these things. But I would bet I'm one of the first EVSEs installed in Fairfax Co, all be it save for a Tesla Roadster or two owned by a dot-com boomer. :)

Mx5racer said:
I was told that the evr green 160 will retail for about $1500
And will not be available until at least June
Sounds like there are still some details to get. Like does that $1500 include professional installation?

At that price, I'd definitely go with the Ford branded Leviton Evr-Green 320 from Best Buy, including professional installation for $1499, presumably available late 2011 .
http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/01/ford-ev-charger-tries-to-stand-out/

That way when a you have a gen 2 LEAF or another EV that can charge at 6.6 kW you won't need to replace your EVSE or have an electrician upgrade the wiring since the Evr-Green 160 would likely be installed on a 240V 20A circuit for the 16 amp version of the Evr-Green 160, or 240V 30A circuit for the 24 amp version of the Evr-Green 160. Upgrading to a 6.6 kW, 240V 32A EVSE, will require the time and considerable expense of another electrician visit to upgrade the circuit - breakers, wires, socket to 240V 40A and pull a new permit. $200 - $500 ($1400 if it's AV) plus the cost of the new EVSE.

The 6.6 kW 240V 32A charge level is going to be a sweet spot for many EVs with 100+ mile range. The fact that the LEAF is 3.3 kW is largely an oops because they didn't have time to work out a 6.6 kW charger for the Gen 1 LEAF. Nissan is already making comments that future LEAFs will have 6.6 kW. Don't sell yourself short with the Evr-Green 160. The Evr-Green 160 is more for Volts, and Plug In Prius households that are never going to purchase a vehicle with more than 40 miles pure electric range.)

It may also be possible to get the Leviton Evr-Green 320 installed and if your home requires a panel or service upgrade to go from 20 to 40A, that you could have them install it, but program to only offer 16A to the EV. Then several years in the future, if you get an EV that charges at 6.6kW, you do the panel or service upgrades then, keeping the same EVSE and wiring - initially a 40A socket, 40A wiring on a 20A circuit and upgrade the just the breaker since the wiring and socket is already large enough. Then you get the EVSE re-programmed to upgrade the current available to the EV from 16A to 32A.

I think all the EVSEs I've seen are still way over priced; When one looks at the circuits inside, there are just common components. In fact there is little reason, other than middle-man profits, that these should ever be over $300 to $400. I see the EVSEs as a item very easily offered in DIY kit form for those with the talent.

Infact I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't offer to modify the portible "Nissan Level I Brick" to a full level II, 3.4kw service.

In my mind I see the Leaf as a 240Z type cult car and as such there will be lots of mods and upgrades

Most likely initial production run on EVSE is 5K-10K. BlueRay player production run 200K. Different economy of scale. Markup over production cost likely to be 10x-20x.

mgoleta said:
Most likely initial production run on EVSE is 5K-10K. BlueRay player production run 200K. Different economy of scale. Markup over production cost likely to be 10x-20x.
Traditionally, consumer electronics will retail for 4x the cost of the box of parts. Things like Blu-ray players that are in high-production and high-demand will usually retail for 3x the cost of the box of parts.

From what I've been able to tell, the J1772 plug and cable usually cost $200-250 for the average consumer. Add another $25 in electronics and multiply it out and you're looking at $900-1,100, but the cost of the plug and cable to the manufacturer will be the big determining factor...

tps said:
DarkStar said:
From what I've been able to tell, the J1772 plug and cable usually cost $200-250 for the average consumer.
Just what is so expensive about that plug and cable?
It's 18-25 feet of heavy copper cable, a complex connector that has to be certified, plus the fact that they aren't produced in large quantities, either.

fotajoye said:
J1772 cable for sale: http://www.tucsonev.com/

Text of this post deleted. Response was made regarding the post referenced by "fotajoye". I have no personal experience with any products made or sold by the web site referenced and I have no indication that any of their products caused a problem with a LEAF or any other product.

Boomer..,
I agree, TusconEV's "J1772 Plug" (shown with the 8m of orange cord, or as "the Plug alone") looks like it COULD (likely) have a mechanical problem in attempting to un-latch from some inlet connectors, like the one used on the LEAF, REFUSING to disconnect. Compare it with the latch mechanism on Nissan's "included" L1 EVSE.

CAUTION: Test for its ability to Disconnect, BEFORE "real" use, and only with plenty of tools available. Yes, you have been warned.

How do I know?
I tried one that LOOKED LIKE this one (MIGHT not have been this one), and it DID NOT release from the LEAF's inlet. It took an hour, a 10mm socket, some disassembly of the LEAF, and a right-angle, flat-blade screwdriver to finally pry the "nozzle" loose from the LEAF's J1772 inlet connector.

However, this nozzle MIGHT work fine with the "socket" that they are selling.

The previous 3 posts should really be moved to another thread, perhaps "TusconEV "J1772" Plug and Socket"?

To me, it seems unlikely that this TusconEV Plug and Cord (not UL listed) would be used with any UL-Listed EVSE product.

davewill said:
tps said:
DarkStar said:
From what I've been able to tell, the J1772 plug and cable usually cost $200-250 for the average consumer.
Just what is so expensive about that plug and cable?
they aren't produced in large quantities, either.
Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner! Economy of scale is the problem. Once they become commonplace the price will come down.

Leviton is pleased to announce that our Evr-Green Level 2, 16 Amp Car Chargers are now available for pre-order on our e-store!! Deliveries will start on July 31st, 2011.

It will also be available at select Distribution and Retail partners.

You can prepare your home in advance as you wait for your Electric Vehicle with our pre-wire kit and utilize safety measures with our http://www.leviton.com/evrgreen

Questions or Comments? Visit our Evr-Green Community to ask our Leviton Technical Support questions about the Evr-Green Product Line.

Back