leave cooling on while going into store

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmasu

Hi all,
Is there any way to leave the climate control on while running into a store or other short periods IE 30 mins max?
So far I've been either leaving it on and locking the doors, which makes me nervous because I believe you could break in and drive off.
Or I've been using the nissan app, which is a pain because it is so slow and sometimes doesnt work because of poor cell coverage etc.
Any other way to leave cooling on while out of car? Also when I do use the app, it only runs for 15 mins, any ways to make this longer?
THanks

Short answer: no

Longer answer: you've named the only two methods available.

1) Leave car on and lock with remote
pros - A/C stays on indefinitely
cons - car can be driven away until it is shut off at which point it is stuck

2) Use carwings app
pros - can be done remotely, don't need to leave car on
cons - requires cel network, runs for 15 minutes when off charger and no way to adjust this

I don't worry about someone running off with the car because for one you can barely tell it is on!

But here is a tip. If you want to further conceal the fact that it is on you can:
  • Turn the dash lights off with the button that controls their brightness (tap it once past the max)
  • Turn the map screen off via the menu setting (turning it back on is much easier--just press the night/day button); or I suppose you could just turn the brightness all the way down using the night/day button

Another thing you can do is invest in The Club and lock the steering wheel as a deterrent.

TonyWilliams said:
Use the timer on the dash. You can turn the car off and lock the doors, but it will only run 15 minutes or 2 hours if the car is plugged in.

Which timer are you talking about? The climate control timer only works with a charger connected, I thought. Is there some way to active the remote climate control from inside the car without carwings?

so you feel that the A/C is so umm, "pathetic" that it needs to run constantly to stay cool? but then again since its not required, you have chosen to make us guess your location...

i guess that is a product of your climate. even on our hottest days and we do get them, the A/C on the LEAF works fabulously well imho. Sure its hot but i take off with all the windows down, hit the streets, drive 2 blocks or so and turn on A/C and roll windows up and i am good almost immediately.

SierraQ said:
Is there some way to active the remote climate control from inside the car without carwings?

If you're inside the car, it won't be a "remote" control. But, yes, from inside the car, press the furthest button on the lower right hand side of the Nav unit, then select Climate Control Timer, and set the time you want it to come on.

It will stay on for 15 minutes UNPLUGGED, and 2 hours plugged in.

DaveinOlyWA said:
...i guess that is a product of your climate. even on our hottest days and we do get them, the A/C on the LEAF works fabulously well imho...

I've got to agree. Probably the best AC I've had in a car and the low power consumption just blows me away. I think part of it is that the condenser coils aren't sitting on top of a boiling-hot radiator. Nissan definitely gets top-marks for the AC in this car.

We've had a few 100 degree days around here this year and I used the carwings app to start the climate control as I walked to the elevator. No more than 5 minutes to get to the car and it was already very nicely cooled. I do agree the app is shamefully kludgy....

Nubo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...i guess that is a product of your climate. even on our hottest days and we do get them, the A/C on the LEAF works fabulously well imho...

I've got to agree. Probably the best AC I've had in a car and the low power consumption just blows me away. I think part of it is that the condenser coils aren't sitting on top of a boiling-hot radiator. Nissan definitely gets top-marks for the AC in this car....
Wouldn't know about the condenser coils as a reason, but +1! Yet "many people," who know very little about the car, believe the misconception that the A/C is weak and power hungry.

DaveinOlyWA said:
... but then again since its not required, you have chosen to make us guess your location...

i guess that is a product of your climate. even on our hottest days and we do get them, the A/C on the LEAF works fabulously well imho. Sure its hot but i take off with all the windows down, hit the streets, drive 2 blocks or so and turn on A/C and roll windows up and i am good almost immediately.

who cares where he lives or why he wants to know. Isn't it simpler to just answer his question about how to turn on the climate control as Tony and SierraQ have done? Perhaps he has a dog with him in the car and he wants to make a quick stop and not let the car heat up with his pet in the vehicle.

Ok, I admit my response had some roots of a hidden agenda. But thereal gist of my post was that I felt his concern to be misguided which is presumptuous of me for sure but not knowing his situation, I cannot know what healready knows so I can provide the straightanswer or I can encourage him to think outside the box

palmermd said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
... but then again since its not required, you have chosen to make us guess your location...

who cares where he lives or why he wants to know. Isn't it simpler to just answer his question about how to turn on the climate control as Tony and SierraQ have done? Perhaps he has a dog with him in the car and he wants to make a quick stop and not let the car heat up with his pet in the vehicle.

DaveinOlyWA said:
And another thing.... U need to tell me what "valuable" info was provided by Tony because I completely missed it

TonyWilliams said:
SierraQ said:
Is there some way to active the remote climate control from inside the car without carwings?

If you're inside the car, it won't be a "remote" control. But, yes, from inside the car, press the furthest button on the lower right hand side of the Nav unit, then select Climate Control Timer, and set the time you want it to come on.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok, I admit my response had some roots of a hidden agenda. But thereal gist of my post was that I felt his concern to be misguided which is presumptuous of me for sure but not knowing his situation, I cannot know what healready knows so I can provide the straightanswer or I can encourage him to think outside the box
palmermd said:
Yes, it is presumptuous. The OP lives in Honolulu and although it's not stated in his profile, it takes less time to determine that, than to rant about it. I remember Rmasu well, since we collectively helped him to select the Leaf over a Volt a few months ago. I'm glad to see him being active on the forum. We all had questions at one point or another, before we settled on a routine that worked well for us.

:?: Is it just me or have the forums seemed to manifest a higher state of grumpiness lately... By the way, I found the technical commentary helpful here (and I live in Southern California if that means anything and I no longer have a dog but used to travel with a very people oriented gracious golden retriever).

I think some of it may be that a number of folks are upset over the way Nissan is handling - or more correctly, not handling - the capacity issue and thus some bloom has come off the rose...
The newness has definitely worn off!

JimSouCal said:
:?: Is it just me or have the forums seemed to manifest a higher state of grumpiness lately...

palmermd said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
And another thing.... U need to tell me what "valuable" info was provided by Tony because I completely missed it

TonyWilliams said:
SierraQ said:

read the OP...he already knew that

i understand the pet comment but this is something that we all deal with and i rarely see anyone running the car while in the store but it does happen and i agree its a concern and i agree that he should not be required to say why he needs to run the A/C up to 15 minutes (remember he already has 15 minutes from the timer) but if he had, then we might have been able to give him an option he had not thought about but either way, its water over the dam now

JimSouCal said:
:?: Is it just me or have the forums seemed to manifest a higher state of grumpiness lately... By the way, I found the technical commentary helpful here (and I live in Southern California if that means anything and I no longer have a dog but used to travel with a very people oriented gracious golden retriever).

+1. In addition let me add that I am not at all tech savvy so I benefit from all the explanations given on this forum. The more specific and explicit the better. Without this forum I wouldn't even have known what the capacity bars represented, never mind counting them. So thanks to all!

TomT said:
I think some of it may be that a number of folks are upset over the way Nissan is handling - or more correctly, not handling - the capacity issue and thus some bloom has come off the rose...
The newness has definitely worn off!

JimSouCal said:
:?: Is it just me or have the forums seemed to manifest a higher state of grumpiness lately...
There's always that dark period in new car ownership after the honeymoon is over, but there are still quite a few payments left to go on a car that doesn't feel so new any more.

JimSouCal said:
Isn't the section I highlighted redundant when referring to a Golden Retriever? :D

hey all,
thanks for all the replies, yes Honolulu! And yes my dog is with me everyday! After work I sometimes try to swing by the grocery store to grab something and dont want to leave fido in the oven!
Thanks for the replies and THANK YOU for swaying my decision to buy the leaf over volt! I love my leaf in so many different ways. WOnderful car. ONly complaint is my commute makes me charge everyday, but sure beats filling up every 4 days in the Tundra!
Thanks!
Doc

Back