Lease now or wait for 2014s?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asimba2

I have the flexibility to wait a few months to initiate a lease on a Leaf, the question is, lease now or wait for the 2014 models? I know there are no significant upgrades on the 2014s, my main concern would be cost and whether or not residual values will likely be higher for the 2014s, thus lowering the lease price. Any thoughts?

asimba2 said:
I have the flexibility to wait a few months to initiate a lease on a Leaf, the question is, lease now or wait for the 2014 models? I know there are no significant upgrades on the 2014s, my main concern would be cost and whether or not residual values will likely be higher for the 2014s, thus lowering the lease price. Any thoughts?
I would wait because typical to give a better deal on older models when newer one comes out. Alternatively you have the luxury of saying you are driving a 2014 instead of 2013.

DanCar said:
asimba2 said:
I would wait because typical to give a better deal on older models when newer one comes out. Alternatively you have the luxury of saying you are driving a 2014 instead of 2013.

I thought about the possibility of getting a better deal on the 2013s after the 2014s are out, but with VPP pricing (-$1,000 off invoice), invoice is fixed, so I'm not sure it would sweeten the deal.

I'm waiting as well on the expectation that residuals will be better on the 2014s. Leasing a 2013 vs. a 2014 counts as a year older car with correspondingly lower residual. NMAC can play with residuals and money factor to encourage or discourage leases.
- Inventory is running at record high 2900 2013s
- 2014s coming out so they will want to move the 2013s
- Dealers motivated by end of time period events. Have end of November and end of year coming up.

I'm hoping the 2014s come out before year end. Otherwise I might be in a pickle. The 2014 does include the backup camera standard and can do some level of hands free handling of text messages.

I am also hoping the 2014s hit the lots soon. My local dealer told me he isn't expecting to actually see 2014s on his lot until March or April, but probably because he wants to sell me a 2013 now. He also won't budge on price, offering only the Nissan national lease offer and no more. He won't be getting my business.

I'm hoping the $1,000 price drop expected on Canadian models will happen here too. Then maybe I can afford the Quickcharge + LED headlight option on the SV. :)

Let me remind those planning to wait that the EVSE tax credit expires at the end of this year. If you are planning to install an EVSE, I suggest getting it done first. You'll get 30% back next spring on everything you spend (purchase, installation, city fees, any electrical system upgrades needed). Even if you purchase rather than lease the car next year you will avoid the AMT trap which has kept nearly all purchasers from getting an EVSE credit, because the credits will be in two separate years.

But time is running out! Only 41 days left to get the installation complete. If the system is not operational by December 31 you lose. (Operational doesn't mean you are actually using it. It just means that if someone brought their EV to your house they could use it.)

Ray

philipscoggins said:
Wait until the end of December and get a 2013 for the best deal of the year.

That is a very good idea. End of the year is when they are supposed to be cranking up production from 2,000 per month to about 2,700 per month. Good time to look for lower prices.

The 2014s are now in production.
http://insideevs.com/nissan-wont-be-able-to-increase-us-leaf-production-until-december-or-january/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My local dealer indicated there will be a 4% increase in price on 2014s, however that may have been another one of his ploys to get to me to sign a lease that day.

I am also on the fence between a 2013 and a 2014. I'm looking to buy (purchase, not lease) in the beginning of January in order to get the (California subsidized) Level 2 EVSE deal - and by then the dealership should have 2014s. Hoping this gives me more leverage with the pricing of the 2013, or if it's not much of a hit - I'd rather get a 2014, just for having a car that would be worth more if I ever chose to sell it.

The quote I got for the 2013, SV, with QC package is:
2013 Nissan LEAF SV
Options - Cargo Cover, Floor Mats & Cargo Mat, LED + QC Package, Splash Guards
MSRP - $34,910
Invoice - $32,857
Your Price - $31,857

I'm in the Los Angeles area, FWIW.

cheers,
-Tal

Thanks for the pricing info. One other piece of information I discovered, California Assembly Bill 1077, if signed, goes into effect Jan 1, 2014 and reduces the sales tax and licensing of alternatively fueled vehicles. If my brief read of it was correct, state sales tax and license fees will be based on the value of the car after deducting the federal tax credit and state tax rebate, rather than the gross value of the car. I have not calculated how much that will save on a lease, but it could make a substantial difference on a purchase.

Does anyone have news about when the 2014 comes out? The dealer denies any knowledge, of course.

Berlino said:
tinaCA said:
Does anyone have news about when the 2014 comes out?

The first "official" news will probably come from this page. http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2014-nissan-leaf-press-kit

Otherwise, it wouldn't hurt to have spies checking on shipments of LEAFs.

Funny, I've been checking that webpage every day. I know the 2014s are in production, so they should be out fairly soon. I just hope the residuals do not fall even more.

Hello again,

Looks like I'm buying the car tomorrow - the California CEC program that provides for a fully subsidized Level 2 EVSE (http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/eligibility_criteria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is NOT up for renewal for 2014 - and so I won't wait until January as originally planned. In either case - super excited!

cheers,
-Tal

Mitsubishi just reduced the price of the i-MiEV by $6,000 and added more standard equipment, including CHAdeMO charging.
http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/514f6f90-045a-446c-8127-a376e2bd930f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After rebates the I-MiEV can be had for $12,995 (in places like CA that also have state rebates).

This comes at a good time and perhaps will encourage Nissan to offer aggressive pricing on the 2014 Leafs.

I'd wait to choose until Nissan releases a price for battery replacement. Whether the price is high or low will greatly influence whether leasing or buying is the best deal.

I definitely plan to lease. I won't buy an EV until I can get a safe 130 mile range and a battery pack that can be purchased and replaced when needed. I think we're still a couple of full lease terms away from that.

asimba2 said:
I definitely plan to lease. I won't buy an EV until I can get a safe 130 mile range and a battery pack that can be purchased and replaced when needed. I think we're still a couple of full lease terms away from that.

I agree. Get the best 2 year lease you can get on a 2013, that will get you to Dec 2015 and hopfully a 2016 model.

Back