Leafscan status?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

I visited the leafscan thread today ( http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) to see about any updates. I did not see anything new reported except all the new competition posting options while we wait (how nice of all the competitors to post their offers inside the LeafScan thread). I continue to have interest in leafscan over the other products but the lockdown and lack of information makes it seem like the project has been abandoned. Does anyone have any official word regarding this product? Phil? There were several unanswered questions about status in the thread before it was locked.

Just a WAG on my part, but with so many other low cost options now available - even though none of them can do everything that Leafscan was purported to do - I believe that the window of opportunity for Leafscan, at least in large numbers, has closed... If it does eventually come out, I now believe it will be a niche product.

Stanton said:
Actually, I think the product vanished. At least there are alternatives now.

I can't help but laugh a little bit at Phil's response when I suggested the LEAFScan have bluetooth so that apps could be created to supplement the built in features of the LEAFScan. The phone apps that we are seeing are exactly the kind of thing that I was imagining being facilitated by an open connection to phone apps that could utilize their internet connections, high resolution screens, touch interfaces, CPU power, and ease to program and update. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have waited for LEAFScan and looked into the possibility of connecting phones directly to the CAN bus like everyone is doing now.

Filibuster said:
Is there a thread somewhere that summarizes availability of other options?

No, but there seems to be 2 different types:
1) Bluetooth ODB connector that displays everything on an external phone/display via an Android app
2) Integrated (2-line) display/processor attached to an ODB connector via cable

A couple that come to mind are:
1) WattsLeft
2) LeafCan
3) LeafDD (I just got this one and love it)

Also of importance is that some read the EV bus and some the Car buss. Each gives somewhat different data...

Stanton said:
Filibuster said:
Is there a thread somewhere that summarizes availability of other options?

No, but there seems to be 2 different types:
1) Bluetooth ODB connector that displays everything on an external phone/display via an Android app
2) Integrated (2-line) display/processor attached to an ODB connector via cable

A couple that come to mind are:
1) WattsLeft
2) LeafDD (I just got the latter and love it)

I have the ODBE smart phone APP from this site that you can download for free. It is very good and gets better on each version. Everyone should have it. You need an android phone and the wireless ODB bluetooth unit about $15.

SCANGAUGE is also going to make one soon that is wired to a small display unit. I had one for my Prous and have a prototype for my LEAF.

Cool new options are coming out all the time!

Unfortunately, unless they have recently gotten much better at it, the data that the Scanguage shows is very limited compared to most of the other options, which are also less expensive...

jstack6 said:
SCANGAUGE is also going to make one soon that is wired to a small display unit. I had one for my Prous and have a prototype for my LEAF.

Back