LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
acb.jpg

Let me first say I WANT ONE OF THESE.

I'd also like to suggest an absolute SoC (Gids) display option, not just SoC%. Why? Because of what I read on this thread, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8331:
Ingineer said:
Because of these slight variable errors, the measurement has drift, and thus will become more and more inaccurate over time, so Nissan solved this problem by correcting the SOC periodically when it doesn't line up with known battery conditions. A side-effect of this is a sometimes artificially high SoC reading when the battery is near full or near empty. This means the SoC (and thus "Gids") will deplete a little faster initially and when nearing turtle. Just a "seat-of-the-pants" estimate is that it seems to have no more than 5% error at any time. I expect Nissan to fix this in future versions of the Leaf as they gain more knowledge.
I interpret the above statement to mean that the SoC% adjusts over time based on what the on-board CPU considers is the current battery capacity.

I think everyone will want the ability to detect battery degradation. I assume that if the absolute number of Gids at 100% charge decreases (from 281), this indicates that my battery is degrading. Display of Gids would also give me a cross reference with ScanGauge readings reported elsewhere on MNL.

Probably irrelevant question: What is the power draw when the unit is asleep? Will I need to worry about leaving my LEAF unplugged with 40% charge for a month at the airport? Actually I guess this is drawing from the 12v battery not the main battery, but is this a AAA draw or something measurable?

DaveinOlyWA said:
padamson1 said:
Probably irrelevant question: What is the power draw when the unit is asleep?

its a can bus reader. it does nothing if the bus is off
But the bus is never totally off , is it? Depends on how Phil decides to power the unit - using switched 12 volts, or always on 12 volts. I would assume switched. No matter; for long term storage, just unplug it. :D

Bill

ebill3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
padamson1 said:
Probably irrelevant question: What is the power draw when the unit is asleep?

its a can bus reader. it does nothing if the bus is off
But the bus is never totally off , is it? Depends on how Phil decides to power the unit - using switched 12 volts, or always on 12 volts. I would assume switched. No matter; for long term storage, just unplug it. :D

Bill

Heh, you guys are both "wrong".... He answered the question earlier but my search can't find it and there are too many pages now. It will always be on and does not use the switched power because it would require an additional wire so it knows from the CAN bus when to go to sleep and the sleep power sounds really small. Go back and reread this thread if you want Phil's response and his initial testing milliamp draw readings.

QueenBee said:
Heh, you guys are both "wrong".... He answered the question earlier but my search can't find it and there are too many pages now. It will always be on and does not use the switched power because it would require an additional wire so it knows from the CAN bus when to go to sleep and the sleep power sounds really small. Go back and reread this thread if you want Phil's response and his initial testing milliamp draw readings.
Good call QueenBee:
Ingineer said:
The sleep current on the prototype presently averages under a milliamp when in sleep mode. The display stays active, but no backlight. In the production models this may change, as I'm refining the design.

I do not use the switched 12v line in order to reduce the number of wires needed. It wakes up by examining data on the CAN bus and thus can be programmed to wake/not wake for certain events, and in addition, can be programmed to wake at certain times to initiate an action.
A mA is pretty dang small load. By implication from Ingineer's statement above it is on the 12v battery unswitched (always drawing power) but it would take a good long time to drain the 12v battery @1mA.

I just returned from out of country, and discovered this thread. and---I read the whole thing!

Phil: please put me down as seriously interested. I would gladly pay a deposit up front.

Good catch - both of you. I don't think any body has to worry about a mA.

padamson1 said:
QueenBee said:
Good call QueenBee:
Ingineer said:
The sleep current on the prototype presently averages under a milliamp when in sleep mode. The display stays active, but no backlight. In the production models this may change, as I'm refining the design.

I do not use the switched 12v line in order to reduce the number of wires needed. It wakes up by examining data on the CAN bus and thus can be programmed to wake/not wake for certain events, and in addition, can be programmed to wake at certain times to initiate an action.
A mA is pretty dang small load. By implication from Ingineer's statement above it is on the 12v battery unswitched (always drawing power) but it would take a good long time to drain the 12v battery @1mA.

padamson1 said:
I think everyone will want the ability to detect battery degradation. I assume that if the absolute number of Gids at 100% charge decreases (from 281), this indicates that my battery is degrading. Display of Gids would also give me a cross reference with ScanGauge readings reported elsewhere on MNL./quote]

You will be able to read 'battery pack capacity degradation' as little as 1% with his LS. That will be MUCH more accurate than the raw number or SoC%.

padamson1 said:
Let me first say I WANT ONE OF THESE.

I'd also like to suggest an absolute SoC (Gids) display option, not just SoC%. Why? Because of what I read on this thread, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8331:
Ingineer said:
Because of these slight variable errors, the measurement has drift, and thus will become more and more inaccurate over time, so Nissan solved this problem by correcting the SOC periodically when it doesn't line up with known battery conditions. A side-effect of this is a sometimes artificially high SoC reading when the battery is near full or near empty. This means the SoC (and thus "Gids") will deplete a little faster initially and when nearing turtle. Just a "seat-of-the-pants" estimate is that it seems to have no more than 5% error at any time. I expect Nissan to fix this in future versions of the Leaf as they gain more knowledge.
I interpret the above statement to mean that the SoC% adjusts over time based on what the on-board CPU considers is the current battery capacity.

I think everyone will want the ability to detect battery degradation. I assume that if the absolute number of Gids at 100% charge decreases (from 281), this indicates that my battery is degrading. Display of Gids would also give me a cross reference with ScanGauge readings reported elsewhere on MNL.

Probably irrelevant question: What is the power draw when the unit is asleep? Will I need to worry about leaving my LEAF unplugged with 40% charge for a month at the airport? Actually I guess this is drawing from the 12v battery not the main battery, but is this a AAA draw or something measurable?
The "Gids" are actually indicating battery level in watt-hours/80. I will have the watt-hours as well as "Gids", in honor of Gary. ;) There will also be capacity loss figures of several types, with extreme accuracy. (greater than 1%!) don't worry, There will be more obscure parameters than you'll ever care to look at! :shock:

The Power is actually on all the time, but as discussed earlier, the unit goes to sleep when the CAN bus does. When it's asleep, the unit draws insignificant power. (many times less than the Leaf's existing systems do.) The CAN bus is active anytime the car is on or while charging, and a few other times, such as during telematics activity. Because of this, I will also provide the option of turning off the backlight while charging for "stealth". (Defaults to on)

-Phil

I could not tell from the video,but what was the max current draw at max acceleration?
And what is the nominal battery pack voltage...405VDC?

I look forward to seeing your unit available.

Jim

Lightnme said:
I could not tell from the video,but what was the max current draw at max acceleration?
And what is the nominal battery pack voltage...405VDC?

I look forward to seeing your unit available.

Jim
In that test drive, the first hard acceleration hit 244 amps at 364 volts. At a full charge I typically see the pack at about 393 volts.

-Phil

I am also interested and would happily pay a deposit (assuming whatever is meant by a "reasonable" price). I would pay 50% as deposit (or more if you needed).

Sounds like great stuff, and I echo the person who wanted the idiot-proof installation. My grandfather (whose first ham license was '8KS' in 1911, as a 14-year old) would have been all over this, but I don't have the practical training.

thanks for all you do, Phil.

Definitely want one! -- but the price will determine whether or not I may actually buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back