Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dallasmay said:
You should really have done the math before hand, it's actually a really good deal if you haven't already purchased your home charger.

($2000 for home charger installation) + (24 kWh/100 miles)*(12000 miles/year)*($0.15/kWh)*3years
= $3300

vs.

($90/month)*(3 years) + free fast charging when you need it= $3240

Thanks for insinuating I'm an idiot. I've done the math. It's a bad deal and I don't want to pay for it. I paid $1,333.59 for my Blink (including shipping and tax) + $350 for installation. Total EVSE cost = $1683.59. Not to mention I'll be getting back 30% from the EVSE tax credit (30% of $1683.59 = $505.07) bringing the total cost of my Blink (a far superior unit to AV's) to $1178.52. I also pay .09 per kwh. My three year cost based on your formula (which you've setup wrong) would be $1956.12. A difference of almost $1300. I highly doubt I would come anywhere CLOSE to approaching $1300 in evGo usage in 3 years.

Still doesn't make any financial sense to me right now when charging will be opportunistic, at best. You're kidding yourself if you think these companies aren't out to make money. It's a business, and I completely understand that, but you're not looking at the entire picture and I bet you they're hoping you don't. You're paying for peace of mind, if anything.

LonghornLeaf said:
Sure some people might go for that deal, but I think many of us are interested enough in having control over our own home setup, versus bringing a 3rd party into the mix.

+1

Also got my ChargePoint ChargePass in the mail yesterday. It looks like the L2 units at Half Price Books off Loop 12/75 and the unit in Fairview off 75/Stacey are suppose to be "free." However, according to their iPhone app, both of them are offline.

LonghornLeaf said:
To move beyond the current debate about the value of charging subscriptions, I just got my 7 day email!

Woo hoo!

Woo! That is pretty awesome! I was able to pick up the car 3 days after I got that email. When do you move? When will you be able to get your Blink installed?

Close on the house on Thursday. Move date unsure, as we have the current place at least through the end of the month. Will likely install the Blink early next week.

LonghornLeaf said:
Congrats! Your VIN is 906, so now I'm wondering about the likelihood of my 1333 arriving "week of Apr 22"...

Has your date moved recently? Provided you were on the last boat out of Japan, it may still be soonish. Just speculating.

My salesperson has the day off today, so no data. Will stop by after a lunch appt.

LonghornLeaf said:
LonghornLeaf said:
Congrats! Your VIN is 906, so now I'm wondering about the likelihood of my 1333 arriving "week of Apr 22"...

Has your date moved recently? Provided you were on the last boat out of Japan, it may still be soonish. Just speculating.

My salesperson has the day off today, so no data. Will stop by after a lunch appt.
My expected delivery date has been:
2011/03/23 week of April 26, 2011
2011/03/25 week of April 25, 2011
2011/03/29 week of April 22, 2011
so I'm hoping that my LEAF was on the Last Boat Out of Japan (sounds like a movie, or a song name).

aqn said:
so I'm hoping that my LEAF was on the Last Boat Out of Japan (sounds like a movie, or a song name).

I prefer Midnight Train to Georgia myself.

Website date also switched from Week of 4/15 to 4/8 today, so hope of getting in before a trip on 4/19.

Apparently Bankston in Farmers Branch has already sold two before mine. But I guess they are not on the forum. Salesperson says he has no visibility until it rolls off the truck, then two days for the PDI.

Fingers crossed. It may likely be in DFW already as it sounds like the railhead for the region is in Mesquite.

One thing I wish I had told them prior to PDI is that I didn't want the front license plate holder mounted. I know you're suppose to have it here in Texas, but I never put it on my Acura the 7 years I owned it. I was never cited, warned or even pulled over because of that. I think the car would look far better without it and you can always find another solution to temporarily hold it in place if they do cite you for it and you show proof you've put it on the car.

Very exciting to hear it's finally this close tho! I can't even tell you how much I love it. :)

Sorry to keep this conversation going.

dash said:
...I paid $1,333.59 for my Blink (including shipping and tax) + $350 for installation. Total EVSE cost = $1683.59. ...I also pay .09 per kwh. My three year cost based on your formula (which you've setup wrong) would be $1956.12. A difference of almost $1300. ... You're kidding yourself if you think these companies aren't out to make money. ... You're paying for peace of mind, if anything.

First of all, sorry I insulted you, that wasn't my intention, I was just trying to show that it's not as bad of a deal as it might look up front.

Second, I doubt you're really paying $.09/kWh. You might think you had signed up for that, but the companies set up the terms for those teaser rates in such a way that very few people actually get them. You are probably a lot closer to the average for Texans, $.13-15/kWh.

Third, the primary reason why I'm sold on the company is because I want my Leaf to be my only car. I don't want to have to have a second car and pay for gas and insurance on it, and I will be very happy to support the company that is working to build out the infrastructure to make that happen. I'm very proud that Dallas and Houston will be the first cities in the World that will have a metropolitan wide charging infrastructure. That's pretty cool, and I want to be able to tell my kids that I was a part of that.

GO TEXAS!

dallasmay said:
Sorry to keep this conversation going.

dash said:
...I paid $1,333.59 for my Blink (including shipping and tax) + $350 for installation. Total EVSE cost = $1683.59. ...I also pay .09 per kwh. My three year cost based on your formula (which you've setup wrong) would be $1956.12. A difference of almost $1300. ... You're kidding yourself if you think these companies aren't out to make money. ... You're paying for peace of mind, if anything.

First of all, sorry I insulted you, that wasn't my intention, I was just trying to show that it's not as bad of a deal as it might look up front.

Second, I doubt you're really paying $.09/kWh. You might think you had signed up for that, but the companies set up the terms for those teaser rates in such a way that very few people actually get them. You are probably a lot closer to the average for Texans, $.13-15/kWh.

Third, the primary reason why I'm sold on the company is because I want my Leaf to be my only car. I don't want to have to have a second car and pay for gas and insurance on it, and I will be very happy to support the company that is working to build out the infrastructure to make that happen. I'm very proud that Dallas and Houston will be the first cities in the World that will have a metropolitan wide charging infrastructure. That's pretty cool, and I want to be able to tell my kids that I was a part of that.

GO TEXAS!

http://www.powertochoose.org/_content/_compare/compare.aspx
ZIP 76017

Renewable - month to month at $0.06, 12 month contract at $0.087

I signed my one year contract six months ago at $0.083

dallasmay said:

I'm not really quite sure why you disbelieve me. Here's a copy of my current electric bill if you wish:

startex.jpg

This is for a 2300 sq ft. house. We are very careful on our energy usage and granted while we haven't had to run our A/C or heater this month, our bill has never been higher than $202 in July/Aug. In fact, our electric bill averages to $84/mo over the past 21 months. https://www.startexpower.com/Signup/ViewOffers for their current rate plans.

dpfeif said:
http://www.powertochoose.org/_content/_compare/compare.aspx

Yep, this is the exact website we found our provider on!

dash said:
dallasmay said:
I'm not really quite sure why you disbelieve me. Here's a copy of my current electric bill if you wish:
Well, hate to break it to you, but you're actually paying $0.117 / kWh according to your bill. :p

I don't know anyone that doesn't include all the other fees as part of their electricity rate. The question is: How many of those fees are flat fees and how many are a percentage based on energy usage?

There are clearly more 100% renewable options that when I first arrived in Dallas 18+ months ago. I've been with Green Mountain since late 2009, but may make a switch since they are now only 0.1 cheaper than TXU for a 100% renewable mix.

NRG bought Green Mountain last year, and is also the company behind eVgo.

While I agree that some folks may like the cable company like notion of eVgo, I don't. I don't expect to charge that much at random locations throughout DFW. I expect to charge at HOME. I would pay to charge on the way to Austin. Driving to a random Walgreen's on beltline is not my idea of "freedom" How about somewhere where I wouldn't mind killing 30 minutes.

I'll do the math, charge at home with my blink and be happy to not be paying $90 a month.

And really, It's not that hard to know that you're not paying $0.15/kWh. There is a big difference between a teaser and a fixed contract.

LonghornLeaf said:
Apparently Bankston in Farmers Branch has already sold two before mine. But I guess they are not on the forum. Salesperson says he has no visibility until it rolls off the truck, then two days for the PDI.

Fingers crossed. It may likely be in DFW already as it sounds like the railhead for the region is in Mesquite.

Woo Hoo! Won't be long now!

dash said:
One thing I wish I had told them prior to PDI is that I didn't want the front license plate holder mounted. I know you're suppose to have it here in Texas, but I never put it on my Acura the 7 years I owned it. I was never cited, warned or even pulled over because of that. I think the car would look far better without it and you can always find another solution to temporarily hold it in place if they do cite you for it and you show proof you've put it on the car.

I agree -- I didn't think to tell my dealer either, so mine from plate holder was on there, too. Neither of my last two cars had front plates -- it definitely looks better that way.

Jason and dash - do they drill into the bumper for the front plate holder? I will definitely call the dealer in the morning to ask that they NOT put the bracket on.

As I told my wife this evening, for the entire time that I've known her, my car has not had a front license plate bracket. Someone knocked it off years ago, and it's remained in the back of the vehicle for years.

Excited to see what all the fuss is all about.

Hope it's a glitch, but estimated delivery just went to Week of April 25 today, after moving from April 15 to April 8 yesterday.

Also, got 7 day email yesterday.

Congratulations Texas!

In DC fast charging, Texas 1, California (presently) 0.

Sorry if this is already posted-I only checked recent posts.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/13/texas-gets-its-first-public-use-level-3-charger/

Back