Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheSmith said:
Hi,

Congrats for the app. One question though, would it be possible to add the motor and inverter temperatures? It would be a useful information when making grill blocks for more aerodynamics.
Motor temperature and Inverter temperature 2 & 4 can be read. Don't know why they are labeled 2 and 4. Would need to figure out the units.

They can probably be added in a future version under the Settings/Option panel where you would enable these extra reading. I assume you want them displayed and in the Log file, right?

Adding them to the read loop will lengthen it so it will take a little longer to read everything. Only those who want this information would enable it.

The current Test release needs to be release to everyone before I would add new features. The last official release was almost 6 months ago.

I am starting to look into adding the ability for people to op-in to reporting battery and Leaf data (MY, odometer...) to a central server. Then you can see how your Leaf is doing relative to all the other Leafs in the database. I might start a separate thread for idea on this. For privacy, when you get the data back you will only be able to identify your data on the graphs. Still very early stages on this so open to suggestions on what to collect and how to report/show it. I want to make sure everyone feels comfortable in contributing. You will only be able to view if you have contributed data.

central server reporting: sounds great :) sounds like you would be covering one of my requests with this one.

any comments on my two other suggestions?
1. climatecontrol like the original center console
2. easy button to toggle on/off charging timer and configuration of charging timer

thorx said:
central server reporting: sounds great :) sounds like you would be covering one of my requests with this one.

2. easy button to toggle on/off charging timer and configuration of charging timer

1. This sounds like a new custom screen. Reading the information from the Leaf to display is not a problem. If you wanted to actually control the climate controls from the screen then that is an unknown as all the code to send would need to be found and documented.

Since many people might want information that others don't I have given some thought to a user defined screen where what and how it gets displayed is user defined. That would be the ultimate solution. There would be a list of items that can be read and a way to define a size, location and label for it. This might even be an upgrade for the current screen 3.

2. This also falls into the needs to be discovered category. If the screen entries you use now directly change these values without commands going over the CAN bus then it is not likely we will discover the sequences to use over the CAN bus to do the same thing. There might not even be support for such a thing in the Leaf over the CAN. I probably don't have the time to look into this one so you will need to enlist the aid of our CAN experts to see what they can come up with. Once there are code I can implement it.

Turbo3 said:
TheSmith said:
Hi,

Congrats for the app. One question though, would it be possible to add the motor and inverter temperatures? It would be a useful information when making grill blocks for more aerodynamics.
Motor temperature and Inverter temperature 2 & 4 can be read. Don't know why they are labeled 2 and 4. Would need to figure out the units.

They can probably be added in a future version under the Settings/Option panel where you would enable these extra reading. I assume you want them displayed and in the Log file, right?

Adding them to the read loop will lengthen it so it will take a little longer to read everything. Only those who want this information would enable it.

The current Test release needs to be release to everyone before I would add new features. The last official release was almost 6 months ago.

Personally, I don't care much about units as long as we know they are linear. We would still be able to gauge the impact of the grill block and compare temperatures from different climates.

Turbo3 said:
thorx said:

1. This sounds like a new custom screen. Reading the information from the Leaf to display is not a problem. If you wanted to actually control the climate controls from the screen then that is an unknown as all the code to send would need to be found and documented.

Since many people might want information that others don't I have given some thought to a user defined screen where what and how it gets displayed is user defined. That would be the ultimate solution. There would be a list of items that can be read and a way to define a size, location and label for it. This might even be an upgrade for the current screen 3.

2. This also falls into the needs to be discovered category. If the screen entries you use now directly change these values without commands going over the CAN bus then it is not likely we will discover the sequences to use over the CAN bus to do the same thing. There might not even be support for such a thing in the Leaf over the CAN. I probably don't have the time to look into this one so you will need to enlist the aid of our CAN experts to see what they can come up with. Once there are code I can implement it.

1. I'm not after changing anything. only displaying, as I want to replace the center console. when the center console is replaced there is no way to see current temperatur set and other climatecontroll stuff. but others might be interested in setting stuff.

2. hmm not sure. but I would expect it to go over the can-bus. I see there are apps that change the chargingtimer through carwings. but I hope it can be set through canbus. if I replace the center console, it would be great to still be able to limit the charging to for example 80% and turn off the charging timer to get 100%.

Turbo3 said:
I am starting to look into adding the ability for people to op-in to reporting battery and Leaf data (MY, odometer...) to a central server. Then you can see how your Leaf is doing relative to all the other Leafs in the database. I might start a separate thread for idea on this. For privacy, when you get the data back you will only be able to identify your data on the graphs. Still very early stages on this so open to suggestions on what to collect and how to report/show it. I want to make sure everyone feels comfortable in contributing. You will only be able to view if you have contributed data.

I think this is a GREAT idea! Please let us know when you spawn a new thread to discuss it.

Turbo3 said:

Great idea! I'll contrib. One thing to begin thinking about - how to flag / identify older Leafs with new batteries.

A bug has just been reported and on further investigation it is in all versions of LeafSpy that support logging of a charge session on screen 2 even the current test versions.

During a charge session if you don't have Logging enabled and are not viewing screens 3 or 4 then Gids will not be updated on the plot or the saved plot data.

For now be sure you have Logging enabled if you what to take a charge graph. You can set it to record every 1 hour if you don't really need the log.

I think the central server idea is great. I don't know if this has been suggested before, but have you considered creating a very basic, easy to use (plug it in and turn it on kind of thing) version of the app geared towards people searching for a used Leaf? I could see the app utilizing the data from the central server to recommend (or not) a particular Leaf. It wouldn't need to display any of the usual metrics, graphs, etc. Just a basic idea of the battery's condition. Since a first-time Leaf owner will probably not know what mi/kWh means, the "miles to reserve" feature could be replaced with range estimates (for different driving scenarios) based on the battery's capacity.

There is a bug in the Log file when selecting metric units that will be fixed in the next release.

When metric units are selected, column E is in m/s not the expected km/h. For now you can multiply by 3.6 to get km/h. However, there is precision lose as speed is saved as an integer which means km/h would be +/- 3.6 km/h.

In the fixed version the Log file will save metric speed (km/h) in decimal format (x.x) with 0.1 km/s precision (subject to GPS actual precision).

The iOS version has the same bug.

Turbo3 said:
Filibuster said:
My Watt-Hours used is always zero. User error, or is there something wrong with this feature? Thanks.
If you are seeing "0^" that is not the Wh counter but the regen counter. Tap the number to toggle between the two.
This is a bug in LeafSpy that shows up if you do not enable logging.

If logging is not enabled then the motor RPM is not read. The motor turning is what starts a trip and allows the Wh counter to count.

So no RPM then no Wh counter.

Next release fixes this bug present in all version of LeafSpy (Android or iOS).

The latest official release of LeafSpy Pro is now available on PlayStore. Here is the change history since the last official release. If any tester has an issue not already addressed below please report it so it can be handled by the next release.

Version 0.36.68 (Released Version)

- Fixed bug where motor RPM was not being read if Logging was not enabled. This caused Trip Log not to start and the Wh counter not to accumulate energy used.

- Fixed bug where Gids were not being updated on the Charge Graph on Screen 2 if Logging was not enabled.

- Fixed bug in Log File when metric speed units are selected. Column E speed would be recorded in m/s instead of km/h. The fixed version records km/h in x.x format with 0.1 km/h resolution.

- In preparation for larger Leaf batteries an option to select battery size has been added to the Settings/Model year panel. Only the current 24 kWh battery is available now but more will be added in the future.

- A long tap on screen 2 will select the previous graph

- The built-in Application Help has been updated and is now complete. It is also available as a PDF file.

- Tire pressure warning only sounds when LeafSpy is connected to the Leaf.

- When Testmode is enabled a flashing warning message is displayed at the bottom center of the screen.

- On Screen 3 units have been added to the Range efficiency buttons.

- The order of the panels on the Settings screen has been changed to better group the functions.

- Option on Settings/Battery panel to set the maximum Gid value (range 281-300, default 281).

- Option on new Settings/Options panel to "Skip Reading Headlight Status". If you always drive with your headlights on you can use this option to keep the display from automatically switching to night mode when you turn the headlights on.

- Option on the Settings/Tire Pressure panel to rearrange the position of the tire pressure readings on Screen 4 to match their actual position on the Leaf.

* Swapping Front/Rear Tire display positions
* Swapping Front Left/Right Tire display positions
* Swapping Rear Left/Right Tire display positions

- Option on Settings/Tire Pressure panel to perform a Virtual Tire Rotation using one of three rotation choices or resetting tire positions to their default locations.

- On screen 4 changed the Regen counter to always displays a positive value instead of a negative value.

- Allow Tire Pressure to be read while the Leaf is ON (not ACC) even if in Park. This allows the current tire pressure to be displayed while adjusting the pressure as sudden pressure changes wakes up the TPMS unit in that wheel.

- When using the alternate method to read tire pressures fixed a bug that caused the front tire pressure values to be swapped.

- Updated the Tire Registration process to make it easier to use.

* Tire pressure readings are keep blank until fresh pressure readings are received from the TPMS units in each wheel. This occurs on a wheel by wheel basis.
* TPMS IDs are continuously read while on the Tire Registration screen.
* Tire Registration can be started anytime the Leaf is on even in Park.
* Completion of Tire Registration is signaled by the tire pressure alarm sound allowing for hands free operation.
* Once successfully registered the start button is disabled. Return to Service Menu to enable again.

- Added support for tire pressure readings to be displayed in units of Bars.

- Replaced the ":" in Lat/Log values saved in the Log file with a space so it is now in a standard format.

- Fixed bug in saving charge data file that prevented the file from being loaded without causing a crash.

- A new BACKUP directory saves a copy of the internal Data and State files. This allows LeafSpy to be uninstalled and re-installed while keeping the old state and data. Previously this information would be lost. If the settings had previously been backed up by the user then they are also restored. Backing up settings is a user operation and not done automatically.

- Added additional messages in status area during LeafSpy startup. If one of the three files read during startup has a problem which causes the app to stop and give an error message the status area will now show which file was being read.

- Added support for Dropbox that is enabled on the Settings/Dropbox menu. If you enable Dropbox then selected files will automatically be copied to a new folder in your Dropbox (Apps/LeafSpy Pro) whenever their size changes.

- New option in Settings/Tire Pressure to support using an alternate method to read tire pressure that is needed on new European Leafs that report n/a when using the default method.

- Fixed bug when displaying Battery Temperature readings where the first Sensor reading would be displayed for any Sensor reporting a temperature of 55.4 F or less.

- On screen 4 the energy usage meter now displays Watts used by the Drive Motor, Auxiliary (radio, dash ...), Heater and A/C on the right side of the graphic .

- Fixed bug where turning on rear window heater would put the display in night mode.

- Properly handle Japanese VIN which is shorter and includes spaces and a dash.

- Default to English even if device language is set to Norwegian, French or German.

- Fixed minor bug in Reading DTCs on very slow devices. Fixed a couple of typos in DTC descriptions.

- When starting up LeafSpy restore the last Elevation/Speed and Charge graphs that were displayed.

- On Settings/Battery panel expanded the Wh/Gid selection range from 75-80 Wh/Gid to 70-80 Wh/Gid

- Automatically save Charge data at end of charge.

- On Charge Graph added % sign to right side scale for 0%

- Charge graphic now has automatic scaling based on maximum charge power being graphed.

- Charge graph now displays both the Power reported by Leaf as well as the calculated power (V*A) going into the battery.

- For QC charge graph added pack temperature. Full scale is 150F/65.6C

- Added Distance and Energy efficiency counters that display these values accumulated since the last charge. Similar to the Trip counter that is currently displayable in the user selectable area of Screen 4 (Summary). These new values auto reset when a previous charge of greater than 10 gids is detected at the start of a trip. Use a long tap on this field to manually reset.

- Sound generation now uses media player.

- On screen 4 display reserve amount in % or kW.

- Statistics now displays Good/Bad Frame count. You can use the percent successful number to manually guide you to increase/decrease Multi Frame Delay to obtain the fastest operation (smallest delay value) while keeping a 99% or higher successful rate.

Apologies if this is too "off the wall" to even consider, but:

Seems like it'd be useful if the LEAF had a rear light to indicate to other drivers when regen was active. One way to do this might be a module mounted inside the lower right portion of the rear window, with a rear-facing light and photovoltaics on its top to make it self-powered. If it was Bluetooth-capable, could Leaf Spy then send it "turn on for one second" pulses whenever the CANBus data indicated regen? This would insure the light never stayed stuck on.

Doing this would require the device running Leaf Spy to be paired with two Bluetooth devices at once. Is this kosher? And keeping the unit self-powered would make it self-contained and easier to install/remove.

Does this whole idea seem feasible at all? :)

I have one automated crash report from Goggle for LeafSpy Pro version 0.36.68 that occurred when viewing the trip log while charging. The crash was caused by an out of memory error.

If you experience this error please report it here as well as fill out the crash report if required by Android. You can just say "While viewing trip log".

If you can come up with the conditions needed to reproduce it that would be a great help.

Turbo3 said:
I have one automated crash report from Goggle for LeafSpy Pro version 0.36.68 that occurred when viewing the trip log while charging. The crash was caused by an out of memory error.
Pretty sure that was me - the last 6 of my VIN are in my profile. FWIW I'm running Leaf Spy Pro on a Galaxy Note II with Samsung's customization of Android 4.4.2. As I recall I was scrolling rapidly through the log.

DaveInAvl said:
Turbo3 said:
Pretty sure that was me - the last 6 of my VIN are in my profile. FWIW I'm running Leaf Spy Pro on a Galaxy Note II with Samsung's customization of Android 4.4.2. As I recall I was scrolling rapidly through the log.
The Google crash report does give me your comment, device type, Android version and stack trace but nothing else. I wish they had some way for me to directly contact the person making the report.

So this was a one time event? If you are able to reproduce I have a change that might avoid the problem by not updating screens you can't see while viewing the Trip Log.

Since it was an out of memory error this is not something my app manages. Android takes care of that so for some reason Android was memory limited and could not provide the app with the needed memory to recreate screen 4 (which you can not see while viewing the trip log).

The code change just sets a flag while viewing the trip log that prevents any updates to screens 1 through 4 until you exit the trip viewer.

If this happens again I can upload a test version with the change for you to try if you are in the test group.

Back