Leaf Shifter operation/safety.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJuric

New owner and was just wondering exactly how the shifter reacts under different situations.

First one I suppose I could try but haven't, does the shifter shift gears from part to reverse and drive without your foot on the brake? There's no mechanical lock, as far as I can tell, to prevent this so does it simply not engage when this happens.

Second if you're driving down the road and the shifter gets bumped into reverse, what happens. Don't really want to attempt this one :)

With mechanical shifters there are lock outs, break interlocks etc etc to prevent this. Just wondering how the Leaf deals with this.

You cannot shift out of Park without your foot on the brake. You'll get a beep and a notice on the info display telling you to put your foot on the brake first. (I know this not from intentionally doing it, but being too quick on the shifter before my foot hits the brake).

As far as shifting out of Reverse to Drive, or vice-versa, I'm not sure, but I suspect the same (particularly going into Reverse). I do know (from what others have said) that pressing the Park button while the car is moving will put the motor into Neutral, and those who do this are doing it to coast vs. use regen.

MJuric said:
Second if you're driving down the road and the shifter gets bumped into reverse, what happens.
It beeps at you and shifts into neutral. I do this all the time to coast down hills.

Note that there is no actual "shifting" going on. The motor is permanently connected to the axles. The "shifting" just tells the electronics how to power the motor. Park is different, since it actually physically stops everything from spinning.

Previous discussion:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonDawg said:
I do know (from what others have said) that pressing the Park button while the car is moving will put the motor into Neutral...

While the car is moving above a certain speed perhaps. But I've accidentally not been 100% stopped and pushed the park button, and it locked up and rocked the car back and forth a little. It was probably below 1MPH when this happened. But still gave me anxiety that I was damaging the gears.

MJuric said:
... Second if you're driving down the road and the shifter gets bumped into reverse, what happens. Don't really want to attempt this one :)
Above 7 mph just immediately goes into Neutral. No problem. Actually the way many people coast down grades when conditions safely permit it. But it may be illegal in some states but the verbiage of the law is a bit unclear in some.

If you mess up and do it below 7 mph :?:
Kind of like the hardest panic braking possible.
Extremely dangerous if anyone is anywhere close behind you.
Don't do this :!:
I messed up and did it one day in slowed traffic.
Was very fortunate that I spotted it quickly and put it back in drive.
Could have been a disaster.
Person behind me came within less than a foot of hitting me, and was rightfully probably pretty unhappy about it too :!:

f you mess up and do it below 7 mph :?:
Kind of like the hardest panic braking possible.
Extremely dangerous if anyone is anywhere close behind you.
Don't do this :!:

Did you notice if you got a whole bunch of regen or not :)?

MJuric said:

You will get regen going from reverse to drive (or vise versa) but only if you don't use the brakes. Not exactly safe though...

MJuric said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
What do you think I am, a test pilot :?:
No, I had zero processing capability available and did not observe the regeneration level :!:

If you can find a big enough empty parking lot I am sure you can test it and collect lots of data with LEAF Spy Pro.
But the forward motion to attempting to instantly go backwards probably isn't very good for the gear box or the LEAF electronic circuits :!:

I went on the Leaf Live Chat about this recently. The official response from the rep was that "nothing would happen while the car is moving". I tried pushing the park button one time right after letting up on the brake at a traffic light when the light turned green. The car started rolling but then jerked to a halt once the button was pushed. Nissan obviously dishes out misinformation. I am afraid to try this even with the car over 7mph now that I know that these reps don't know what they're talking about.

smnewport said:
I went on the Leaf Live Chat about this recently. The official response from the rep was that "nothing would happen while the car is moving". I tried pushing the park button one time right after letting up on the brake at a traffic light when the light turned green. The car started rolling but then jerked to a halt once the button was pushed. Nissan obviously dishes out misinformation. I am afraid to try this even with the car over 7mph now that I know that these reps don't know what they're talking about.
The topic is about shifting into reverse, not pushing the Park button :? :roll:

Numerous people have demonstrated that above 7 mph shifting into Reverse just puts the LEAF into Neutral.

You're waiting for a Nissan representative to confirm that :?: :roll:

Back