Leaf range extension, just thinking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
Perhaps it may be easier to slow down to 55mph, you wont get rammed from the back, the speed differential is not that great. As an example: You are driving along at 20mph, are you really going to run into some guy stopped in the middle of the street?

At 55mph around here you'd see a 30 mph differential on the freeways. And being passed by cars going 30mph faster than you isn't a very safe way to drive. In fact so far I've seen two pretty nasty accidents caused by someone trying to pass using the right lane, only to find he could not get back into the middle lane in time - and thus rammed into the car ahead of him.

(Which means perhaps "keep off the freeways" if you need the extra range.)

drees said:
I've been waiting for someone to bring up a boat-tail. Has anyone shown up on cleanmpg or ecomodder with a LEAF to modify?

I estimate that with some improved aero you'd be able to travel 100 miles at 65-70 mph without too much trouble.

I still wonder what kind of highway range would be possible if the LEAF had the aero of the Prius with it's significantly lower drag and smaller frontal area... How long before someone drops the drivetrain into a Prius?
Or golf ball dimples! :)
http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/mythbusters-dimpled-car/

Trying to bring some life back into this board.
Wondering if anyone has done any re-search on the dock and go concept.
http://wot.motortrend.com/juice-box-rinspeed-dockgo-increases-cargo-and-range-for-small-evs-143893.html/rinspeed-dock-go-smart-ev-side/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is similar to Ingineer's trailer concept, just with out the gas turbine.
I am interested in working a collaboration to develop a similar product for Leaf owners.

Welcome to the forum.

My 2¢ - not interested in such a range extender. Kludgey, require LEAF modification, costly.

Much rather put the money into a car with greater range already on board. Perhaps a Tesla?

ebill3 said:
Welcome to the forum.

My 2¢ - not interested in such a range extender. Kludgey, require LEAF modification, costly.

Much rather put the money into a car with greater range already on board. Perhaps a Tesla?

Better choice. Wait a couple years and get a better car for less than the investment of a bolt on back that wil add weight and frustration. I don't see range extension packs viable because pack tech will change faster. Save your money.

"Wait a couple years and get a better car for less than the investment of a bolt on back that will add weight and frustration. I don't see range extension packs viable because pack tech will change faster. Save your money."
Sounds like range anxiety and gas withdrawals all over again.
I think the third axle is a viable option. It could support is own weight, and if located close enough to wheel base, an extension of the vehicle.
I guess i would rather level two charge an extra axle then fast charge my vehicle.
I think this option also has a business opportunity. Staged third axles for vehicles to grab and go.
Some may say wait and buy a better vehicle and save your money. Every ICE vehicle driver has been telling me this for two years, and if I had listen to them I would not have driven the last eleven thousand miles without going to a gas station.
Food for thought

+1

EVDRIVER said:
ebill3 said:
Or wait a couple years and get a better car for less than the investment of a bolt on back that wil add weight and frustration. I don't see range extension packs viable because pack tech will change faster. Save your money.

HairyCairy said:
Every ICE vehicle driver has been telling me this for two years, and if I had listen to them I would not have driven the last eleven thousand miles without going to a gas station.
Which you did without a range extender. If really needed a trailer seems much more practical than the vehicle add on.

Back