Leaf owner takes a drive from San Diego to Tucson (!!)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krakato

Article in Tucson newspaper, the Arizona Daily Star, on 6-25-2011:

"Charged about electric cars, Leaf owner takes a drive from San Diego to Tucson"

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/business/local/article_2bf92968-9ee6-11e0-a368-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story#ixzz1QQbqTOrQ

This new LEAF owner, Jerry, was very adventurous driving his brand new LEAF from Santa Monica to Tucson. He had many places to recharge and lots of time - about a week - but he made it. He recently emailed me about getting together and being part of the Tucson LEAF Owners group that met a couple weeks ago. I imagine this is one of the longest journeys of any LEAF so far. Has anyone heard of any longer trips?

krakato said:
Article in Tucson newspaper, the Arizona Daily Star, on 6-25-2011:

"Charged about electric cars, Leaf owner takes a drive from San Diego to Tucson"
By highlighting the big limitation of the Leaf articles like these do more harm than good IMO. Not very many people are going to be impressed by a product that turns a 6-8 hour trip into a sojourn of a week, complete with concern that you might run out of juice. Though perhaps not as sensational, if indeed this one is, articles about how someone who does all their local commuting or errand-running without any compromising and without needing any gas would be far more likely to persuade someone to consider a BEV.

SanDust said:
By highlighting the big limitation of the Leaf articles like these do more harm than good IMO.
I disagree. Although I preface almost every conversation that I have about the LEAF with anyone contemplating it as a possible vehicle for their needs with this - "The LEAF is a situationally specific vehicle. If you happen to present the right situation, it can be nearly the perfect car for you". That said, this article shows that you need not limit yourself to that specific situation.

LEAF drivers, by definition, are pioneers. Most of us that have acquired the LEAF have done so to fit a specific commuting or local need. That does not mean that it must be limited to that role. While not everyone would wish to accomplish a trip similar to what Jerry did, the fact that it can be done - even with our extremely limited current infrastructure - shows that an adventurous spirit need not be compromised with the acquisition of a "commuter car". That, in itself, is a positive message. :)

He is also featured in allcarselectric.com. Check it out.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1062240_electric-car-fan-takes-2011-leaf-on-480-mile-road-trip

Back