Leaf on a bench - I-Key system fault - "When parked apply parking brake"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremelune

I am attempting to install a Nissan Leaf drivetrain into a Rover Mini. I purchased a wrecked-but-driving 2014 SL and pulled the entire wiring harness and damn-near everything attached to it out of the car, and have it sitting on a bench in my house. I have since been trying to get the motor spinning outside of the car.

I have the car hooked up to a fresh, charged 12v battery. As of now, when I push the power button, a few relays click, the dash lights up, and I get these two messages:

Apply the parking brake when parked.

I-Key System Fault

Searching around, it seems the culprit is the 12v battery, but I'm pretty sure mine's in good trim. Another thing mentioned is the pre-charge relay and resistor...When I power on, several relays click, but none of the ones in the traction battery compartment (where these are located). The PRND indicator never lights up, which seems suspect, but it is connected...

The HVAC module is plugged into the HV wiring, but not the 12v wiring. The brake system (and the rest of the car) are gone, but I don't think that should be necessary...

I'm a bit boggled at this point. My next move is to start taking the wiring harness apart and tracing things to make sure I'm not missing any connectors...but boy, that's a long-winded shot in the dark. Is there a more methodical way I can go about troubleshooting? I can't get LeafSpy to work (it did when the car was together), but my wireless OBD adapter has a lit LED when plugged in...

initial-status.jpg

first-boot.jpg

My 2017 Leaf won't go into D or any other gear unless the brake is depressed while the gear shifter is moved. You may need the brake harness connected to get the drive systems to come ready.

Just my $0.02. It looks like a interesting project. Do you still have the remainder of car? I'd keep all of it except the sheet metal and glass until you get the conversion done. Good luck!

That's a good point, but I think I'm good there. When disconnected from the brake pedal arm, the two brake switches think someone's foot is always on the brake.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the space to stash a car, so I had it towed away.

Might want to contact Jack Rickard at EVTV and see if they have firmware for their GEVCU that will run a LEAF motor. Then you could get rid of a lot of that proprietary crap.

Back