Leaf not starting or shifting out of Park all of a sudden

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the SV and SL get the time from elsewhere. I'm not sure about the S, as it has no telematics and I don't think it has satellite radio...?

You can get a cheaper AGM* battery - it doesn't have to be a Yellow Top. Just try to determine that it's a real AGM battery, and not just labeled as one. I think that one way to tell is to look to see if it has an Amp Hour (AH) rating as well as a Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating. AGM batteries are designed for deeper discharges than are starting batteries.

* "Absorbed Glass Mat"

SV and SL 2013 or newer set clock(s) from GPS so they need to initialize and get a GPS position fix before the time is updated. The 51R Yellow Top Optima is a good choice, I replaced the OEM batteries in the 2011 and 2015 with them and will put one in the 2019 as soon as the OEM starts showing signs of weakness. The Yellow Tops were still in the 2011 when it was totaled and in the 2015 when I traded it in so I cannot tell you how long they will last in a Leaf, but I use either Optima or Odyssey AGM batteries in all of my vehicles and get much longer life than conventional batteries in my hot desert climate.

Edited to add: 2011 and 2012 set clock in center console (navigation system) from GPS, but clock in "eyebrow" display in front of steering wheel must be set manually.

I had the same issue, which ultimately had same solution as H2Oshed, namely a bad wiring harness connector as per Nissan service bulletin NTB19-054a:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168908-0001.pdf

Also replaced entirely under warranty by Nissan service. Did not require the battery to be replaced.

billin said:
I had the same issue, which ultimately had same solution as H2Oshed, namely a bad wiring harness connector as per Nissan service bulletin NTB19-054a:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168908-0001.pdf

Also replaced entirely under warranty by Nissan service. Did not require the battery to be replaced.

An update: It's been 10 months with many heavy rain storms since the dealer replaced the harness (24012-5SA1C HARNESS-ENGINE ROOM) and E45 connector on my 2019 Leaf and I have not had any more problems. It still has the original 12V battery which is in good condition. Water intrusion into the harness was the apparent cause in my case, not the 12V battery or charging algorithms.

Back