Leaf not going anywhere this morning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

Ugh.. Opened my nightstand to get my keys this morning and my keyfob was missing. I checked the spare key rack, nope spare is gone. I knew my wife drove it last night so I called her. Yep.. you guessed. She has both of the keyfobs in her purse. So I had to call somebody to come drive me to work in their ICE. How fun.

Unfortunately no alternative to that one ... we have a house rule that the 'spare' stays in the desk drawer every night as well as all car keys go on hooks in full view as the wife has a tendency to temporarily 'lose' her keys ... as we have multiple cars (4 cars, 3 drivers) no one will typically get stuck home without a ride to work; but as one car is a stick, my son would be stuck, do you think he's ever lost his keys? You should have a 'fun' penalty for her for leaving you stranded at home! The big thing to adjust to is the fact that you don't 'insert' the key so it's easier to forget where it was left.

I haven't tried it, but can you take the key out of the fob on the spare one and put it somewhere safe in case both fobs go missing again? Does the fob still work with the key out?

Ready2plugin said:
I haven't tried it, but can you take the key out of the fob on the spare one and put it somewhere safe in case both fobs go missing again? Does the fob still work with the key out?

The fob works fine without the key, but the key will only get you into the car. Can't drive with only the key as far as i know.

I would check, but my car is not available right now.

that sucks and my rule is my keys NEVER leave my possession. "She" loses EVERYTHING EVERYDAY. it was so bad that we paid about $250 for a key for the 2006 Prius and this was after 6 months of looking for the key she lost.

we eventually found the key (about 2 weeks after getting the 3rd one made)

palmermd said:
The fob works fine without the key, but the key will only get you into the car. Can't drive with only the key as far as i know.

I can confirm this as I tried it out yesterday. There was a related question on the Facebook page about a surfer that wanted to only take the mechanical key with him surfing but found that he needed the fob piece to actually start the car. Even the "hold the key (fob) near the power switch" didn't work without the fob itself (i.e. the RFID chip is in the fob, not the mechanical key).

lpickup said:
palmermd said:

I can confirm this as I tried it out yesterday. There was a related question on the Facebook page about a surfer that wanted to only take the mechanical key with him surfing but found that he needed the fob piece to actually start the car. Even the "hold the key (fob) near the power switch" didn't work without the fob itself (i.e. the RFID chip is in the fob, not the mechanical key).

holding FOB next to start button helps in case of dead FOB battery, it does not work with the key since the key has no electronics on it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
holding FOB next to start button helps in case of dead FOB battery, it does not work with the key since the key has no electronics on it.
Right...I was checking to see whether the key actually DID have the electronics (RFID chip) embedded in it. It did not. The RFID chip is definitely in the fob.

It pissed me off when one of my LEAF fobs disappeared only a month after I brought the car home. We turned the house upside down to no avail. I wondered how I got home without the key.

Then, two months later, the parking attendant in my office garage fessed-up to the key being there in the booth for two months. He knew it was a Nissan key, but it took him that long to ask every Nissan owner when leaving the garage. (I usually leave after the attendant leaves and use a card to open the gate.)

I must have dropped the fob out of my pocket in the garage when going to work on my motorcycle one day.

adric22 said:
Ugh.. Opened my nightstand to get my keys this morning and my keyfob was missing. I checked the spare key rack, nope spare is gone. I knew my wife drove it last night so I called her. Yep.. you guessed. She has both of the keyfobs in her purse. So I had to call somebody to come drive me to work in their ICE. How fun.

I thought you were going to say the power outage got you! I was worried about that Tuesday night -- nothing like coming home to no electricity, having to manually open your garage door and not being able to re-charge once the Leaf is inside. But the juice came back about midnight, so I was good to go Wednesday a.m.

My wife drives the Leaf all the time, which I approve of. She loses her crochet hooks or yarn needles all the time, but never a car key, and I never let her use mine.

Back