Lamo Leaf driver doing 50 mph in 2nd lane in heavy traffic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SmilingWhenSailing said:
Well, we don't have freeways here in Norway, but almost everybody drives faster than the speed limits. I don't, and I don't care how many cars are behind me. I usually adjust the speed exactly to the speed limit and just roll. The speeding tickets here start somewhere around 500 $ for 7 km/h over the speed limit and I am not willing to pay any speeding ticket in Norway. The majority might have no problem with paying a speeding ticket every one and so often in addition to the fuel bills or just gambles. I am perfectly happy with the speed limits and not willing to pay a few thousand crowns for a few minutes less in the car. I don't know what the speeding tickets are in the US, but e.g. in Germany they are ridiculously low. In Finland again you might end up paying all between a few thousands and a few hundred thousand bucks depending on your income and speed. If I ever get to drive in the US I will drive exactly the speed limit but of course I will do so on the slowest lane if necessary/possible. On the other hand, even in Germany you are allowed to use the left lanes on the autobahn when driving 20 km/h faster than the traffic on the right lane and people coming from behind with 250 km/h will have to brake since they will always get the fault in an accident when driving more than 130 km/h even when there are no speed limits. Usually they are coming in packs of 3-7 BMW,Audi,Mercedes with maybe 1 meter bumper to bumper distance flying by ectronically limited to 250 km/h. It looks like en express train to hell. But I guess you find those brainless drivers everywhere, not only in Germany... Fortunately here in Norway only very few are driving faster then 200 km/h, and they usually do that only once...
The reason I drive a Leaf is that I like the gliding motion and the silence and I like to listen to music while driving to work and back. When sitting in there I don't care about the world behind me... so I fully understand how it might happen that someone ends up on the middle lane of a freeway not exactly speeding. What I can't understand either is people who are rear ending others, since human faces are made with the eyes oriented forward and that is where the face should be looking while driving, but it probably won't help if the human's CPU is on energy saving mode to compensate for the cars enormous fuel consumption.
And yes, here in Norway police will pull out everybody speeding indifferent of the traffic flow that's why it is called speed limit! And we have a lot of photo boxes and recently also average speed measurements here especially in tunnels. Very effective, since you really cant evade a system measuring the time it takes you to drive a certain distance. Usually you see the people suddenly driving well under the speed limit to make sure they won't "get caught"... I like those average speed boxes ;-)
Hey, Smilewhensailing: I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with your comments 100% :)

This is a little off topic in terms of the Nissan LEAF (I don't even own one). But I'm considering one so I'm browsing this forum to see how people like 'em.

On the topic of being stuck behind slow cars though, I do have a problem with folks going slow in the left lane on the freeway. I can't figure out if they don't know they aren't supposed to do that or that they just don't care. I'm not even sure which is worse...

I actually wrote a video game as catharsis, since that happens to me pretty much every day. In the game, you can simply blow up the car and continue on your merry way. I has helped me calm down when I'm stuck like that, as I get a chuckle out of how I'd handle that situation in the game. :)

SteveTack said:
On the topic of being stuck behind slow cars though, I do have a problem with folks going slow in the left lane on the freeway. I can't figure out if they don't know they aren't supposed to do that or that they just don't care. I'm not even sure which is worse...

When you say "folks going slow in the left lane on the freeway", how slow are you talking about? Slow is a relative term. Some people think going 10 mph over the speed limit is too slow. If you mean they are going below the speed limit, then you have a legitimate complaint and the driver could be awarded a ticket for impeding traffic. But if the driver is going the speed limit, and they aren't passing, they should move over. However, it is legal to stay in the left lane (not polite though) at the speed limit and can't get a ticket for impeding traffic. Sometimes, after a driver passes in the left lane, they can have a hard time getting over again if there is a lot of traffic.

LEAFfan said:
SteveTack said:
When you say "folks going slow in the left lane on the freeway", how slow are you talking about? Slow is a relative term. Some people think going 10 mph over the speed limit is too slow. If you mean they are going below the speed limit, then you have a legitimate complaint and the driver could be awarded a ticket for impeding traffic. But if the driver is going the speed limit, and they aren't passing, they should move over. However, it is legal to stay in the left lane (not polite though) at the speed limit and can't get a ticket for impeding traffic. Sometimes, after a driver passes in the left lane, they can have a hard time getting over again if there is a lot of traffic.
Depends on the state. In some states, including mine, the left lane is for passing only, when the highway has a speed limit of 65 mph or higher. You can be ticketed for driving in the left lane regardless of speed unless actually passing slower traffic in the right lane.

dgpcolorado said:
LEAFfan said:
SteveTack said:
Depends on the state. In some states, including mine, the left lane is for passing only, when the highway has a speed limit of 65 mph or higher. You can be ticketed for driving in the left lane regardless of speed unless actually passing slower traffic in the right lane.

It's actually an unpatrolled law in all states. Keep right except to pass. Slow traffic keep right. There are signs everywhere. Some states have recently started ticketing for travelling in the left lane (at any speed) when you shouldn't be. Michigan for example has a law that states loosely "If you are travelling in the left lane, with the ability to move over, for more than 1/4 mile you can be ticketed." Now I know this is hard to patrol, but it is called courtesy. If more people had it, there would be less traffic jams and accidents. But people can't seem to get their heads out of their own behinds and figure it out.

ztanos said:
It's actually an unpatrolled law in all states. Keep right except to pass. Slow traffic keep right. There are signs everywhere. Some states have recently started ticketing for travelling in the left lane (at any speed) when you shouldn't be. Michigan for example has a law that states loosely "If you are travelling in the left lane, with the ability to move over, for more than 1/4 mile you can be ticketed." Now I know this is hard to patrol, but it is called courtesy. If more people had it, there would be less traffic jams and accidents. But people can't seem to get their heads out of their own behinds and figure it out.
This is kind of straying from the topic a bit, but I'm truly curious as to why such an obviously stupid (to me, anyway :) ) policy would be so strongly held? If you're being overtaken in the left lane (of two total) of a freeway, then sure; move over. But given that most freeway entrances & exits are to & from the right lane, I hold that keeping that lane clear for such maneuvers is, far from a danger, a massive AID to safe traffic flow. On the rare occasions when I unwisely try commuting at rush hour, the pattern is crystal clear: 60+MPH travel abruptly comes to a standstill, and, oh, look: coincidentally, right at an interchange. Or, after merging into such an aforementioned highway and finally jockeying into some hairsbreadth of space in the right-hand lane, seething inwardly as the (barely) moving obstacles I've just contended with blithely creep through the next interchange, still without exiting, and obstructing its functioning as well. "Keep right except to pass" - phooey!

Levenkay said:
ztanos said:
This is kind of straying from the topic a bit, but I'm truly curious as to why such an obviously stupid (to me, anyway :) ) policy would be so strongly held? If you're being overtaken in the left lane (of two total) of a freeway, then sure; move over. But given that most freeway entrances & exits are to & from the right lane, I hold that keeping that lane clear for such maneuvers is, far from a danger, a massive AID to safe traffic flow. On the rare occasions when I unwisely try commuting at rush hour, the pattern is crystal clear: 60+MPH travel abruptly comes to a standstill, and, oh, look: coincidentally, right at an interchange. Or, after merging into such an aforementioned highway and finally jockeying into some hairsbreadth of space in the right-hand lane, seething inwardly as the (barely) moving obstacles I've just contended with blithely creep through the next interchange, still without exiting, and obstructing its functioning as well. "Keep right except to pass" - phooey!

It's about common sense and courtesy. Most people don't use either of these while driving. If you have to hit your brakes hard to "perform your maneuver" then you don't need to move over. As your example, during non-rush hour primarily, there won't be as much traffic using the on ramps to force you to move over. If there is a car, at this point you would be moving over to pass or maintaining your lane and speed and allowing the driver on the ramp to negotiate the merge. Be polite and allow the every other rule to take over if traffic is at the point where cars aren't able to complete the merge effectively. But to your earlier point about only having two lanes. I live in Atlanta and we have 6 lanes, where only the 2 left ones are being used because the slower cars won't move over.

Levenkay said:
But given that most freeway entrances & exits are to & from the right lane, I hold that keeping that lane clear for such maneuvers is, far from a danger, a massive AID to safe traffic flow.
Please look at the thread title. If you are intentionally traveling less than the speed limit then you should be in the right lane when practical. Yes, this does mean that you may have to slow or speed up to let someone merge. You may need to shift left a lane if a steady stream of cars is merging (from a city traffic signal when there are no metering lights). But if you shift left you should look for the first opportunity to shift back into the rightmost lane.

Otherwise you become what a well-liked traffic columnist here calls a "road boulder". [Mr. Roadshow at the San Jose Mercury News, though he credits his wife with creating the term.]

Ray

ztanos said:

Actually it isn't. Not in Texas anyways. In Texas it is only a violation on sections of road where the sign is present, and then it is only for the Farthest left lane. When I see the Signs it is usually outside larger cities when the Freeway is only two lanes in one direction.

Hedge

Hedge74 said:
ztanos said:

Actually it isn't. Not in Texas anyways. In Texas it is only a violation on sections of road where the sign is present, and then it is only for the Farthest left lane. When I see the Signs it is usually outside larger cities when the Freeway is only two lanes in one direction.

Hedge

If they have the signs, then it is. The cops just don't give citations for it. Probably an old law that isn't enforced anymore, kind of like having your giraffe on a leash in atlanta.

ztanos said:
Cheezmo said:
The Texas law was passed in 1995. Not exactly ancient...

Here is a nice list of all the policies in various states with links to the laws for most.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Great link, thanks. Lots of information.
+1. I knew it was illegal in California but couldn't find the relevant section of the CMVC, and that link shows that its also illegal in Arizona where LEAFfan is. Regardless of whether it's legal or not in a particular state, it's always discourteous and often dangerous.

LEAFfan said:
SteveTack said:

"Slow is a relative term." That's just it. If I'm in the left lane going 75 in a 65 and I see someone coming up behind me at 85, if I can get over safely, I get over. My job is not to police the highway, my job is to get out of the way.

I'm not talking about situations where it's hard to get over or anything. I'm talking about people who simply "camp out" in the left lane. The stretch of I-70 in the Denver area I commute on is four lanes wide. I don't particularly care if you go the absolute minimum in any of the other three lanes.

It so happens that Colorado law agrees with me, not that it's likely to be enforced. If the speed limit is 65+, the left lane is for passing only. But even if I was somewhere where that wasn't the law, that's still a convention in my mind.

GRA said:
+1. I knew it was illegal in California but couldn't find the relevant section of the CMVC, and that link shows that its also illegal in Arizona where LEAFfan is.

But it isn't illegal here (yellow, not green on the chart) not to move right except for passing. You often see many cars whether they are going the speed limit or not in the left lane, staying there for miles without passing anyone. Also, there are no signs here telling people to move right except for passing even though it's a great idea to have them. The title of this thread says '2nd lane', not far left lane (not including HOV lane) so legally in AZ, the driver was legal. However, if it were me, and I were doing 50, I would be in the far right lane.

LEAFfan said:
GRA said:
+1. I knew it was illegal in California but couldn't find the relevant section of the CMVC, and that link shows that its also illegal in Arizona where LEAFfan is.

But it isn't illegal here (yellow, not green on the chart) not to move right except for passing. You often see many cars whether they are going the speed limit or not in the left lane, staying there for miles without passing anyone. Also, there are no signs here telling people to move right except for passing even though it's a great idea to have them. The title of this thread says '2nd lane', not far left lane (not including HOV lane) so legally in AZ, the driver was legal. However, if it were me, and I were doing 50, I would be in the far right lane.

Well according to that logic, "Legally, I can spit on your grandmother." Doesn't mean I would. I know it's just semantics and courtesy and you've already said you move over. Living in Atlanta, traffic would 'flow' so much smoother if everyone would just calm down and realize the 37 seconds they are saving by pissing everyone else off isn't necessary. Just move over and let the faster cars go. Like you, I tend to travel in the farthest right lane, if needed I move over a lane to pass the on-rampers.

Come to Kansas City, Land of Orange Barrels and perpetual construction. Can't speed because there's too much highway construction. Of course rush hour only lasts an hour too (445pm-545pm).

I get it, you stay right if you are slower than everyone else at that time in CA.

But HOV lane is not covered by that rule and the CHP says that if you are already going 65 (on a freeway), you are legal and doing the right thing. The other person is speeding.
Personally, I will travel up to 70 in the HOV lane if pushed by a yahoo and, if he/she is still being a wildperson, I look to move over as possible.

I hope this doesn't come off as discourteous, but I find that whenever a discussion of "keep right except for passing" comes up, it is being advocated by people who wish to exceed the speed limit. It's as if speeders would like to suggest that the law is somehow on their side, and like to imagine that a law exists whose intent is to clear their way.

There seems to be widespread belief that exceeding the speed limit somehow confers a special right-of-way. I have never been able to wrap my head around that concept.

That being said, I have been known to drive at a brisk pace. And when I'm not, I do try to move right when it is reasonable and safe to do so (note that SAFE and REASONABLE are higher priorities than the speeder behind me). When I am driving briskly, I do NOT expect the motorists in front to give my choice of speed the highest priority on their agendas. Yes, I do hope they give it some consideration but I have no position to DEMAND it. Taking my foot off the go-pedal is not particularly painful or unhealthy. If I must, I will chose an alternate lane. If I can't, I will slow down and wait until a safe opportunity presents itself. When driving fast, all of the burden is on ME and nobody owes me anything, imho.

In much of Europe, particularly Germany, the number 1 lane is for passing only. You are NOT to loiter there regardless of how fast you are going. That is as it should be and how I try to drive, even if driving briskly. The U.S., frankly, is comprised largely of drivers who are, at best, minimally qualified and competent...

Back