LA Auto Show green car news

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Thread to keep up with news on EVs and other green cars rumored for the LAAS this year:

This year, in addition to the Volt and the LEAF, we're going to have Mitsubishi's i and we're going to have the Ford Focus battery electric vehicle. BMW has launched their i brand, which is a complete sub brand, which focuses on sustainability. They have the i3, which is an all-electric car from the ground up. Honda is going to have some big electric vehicle news."

Cars committed to the Green Car Ride-n-Drive during the press preview days:

Audi A3 eTron
CODA
Fiat 500
Chevrolet Volt
Buick LaCrosse eAssist
Hyundai Tucson Fuel Cell Vehicle
Infiniti M35 Hybrid
Kia Optima Hybrid
Kia Rio
Lexus CT 200h
Mazda3 SKYACTIV
Mercedes-Benz S350 BlueTEC 4MATIC
Mercedes-Benz B-Class F-Cell
Mitsubishi i
Nissan LEAF
Toyota Prius v
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Volkswagen Passat TDI

Production version of the Honda Fit EV to debut:

Honda will debut two all-new models, the 2012 CR-V and 2013 Fit EV, at the Los Angeles Auto Show on November 16th at 1:05 pm PST. As one of the best-selling SUV's in the United States, the fourth-generation 2012 CR-V will showcase new exterior and interior styling, improved fuel economy and added technology features. The all electric zero-emissions Fit EV concept vehicle debuted at last year's Los Angeles Auto Show and the production model will be revealed this year.

Is Nissan going to introduce anything there? Probably not right.

Looking forward to seeing the BMW concepts though. Will Tesla be there?

I'm probably going on Saturday.

Nothing from Nissan. But Infiniti announced the EV we've been expecting. No details yet (other than what we know from focus groups), but it is going to be released as a 2015 model in 2014. Apparently there is an actual car to be seen now, whereas before all we've seen are renderings.

Good news and bad news on the Fit EV front (and I've been sitting on this for a couple of days now, due to NDA). On the plus side, the Fit EV was unveiled today as a production model, coming in summer of next year. On the minus side (at least so far as Honda's plans as of right now), is that it's going to be a limited production, data-gathering project of only 1100 vehicles (550 per year for the next two model years), with closed-end leases lasting 3 years. Lease will be $399 a month.

That is about all of substance I have for you right now, but I do have some pictures to post a bit later.

So the fit EV is really a carb play then. Honda could do SOOOO much more if they would just get serious.

The Honda news was disappointing. But then again the Honda Fit EV was always disappointing. I was hoping for a purpose built one ala BMW. Oh well.

mwalsh said:
Good news and bad news on the Fit EV front (and I've been sitting on this for a couple of days now, due to NDA). On the plus side, the Fit EV was unveiled today as a production model, coming in summer of next year. On the minus side (at least so far as Honda's plans as of right now), is that it's going to be a limited production, data-gathering project of only 1100 vehicles (550 per year for the next two model years), with closed-end leases lasting 3 years. Lease will be $399 a month.

ABG story: http://green.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/honda-fit-ev-available-in-2012-for-lease-only-399-per-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A 20 kWh battery pack and the 6.6 kW charger. Though the range estimate is 76 miles combined, color me skeptical with that size battery. 92 kW motor is a bit more powerful than the LEAF's, I think. No torque figure though, nor curb weight, so performance is a ?? Sport mode is an interesting feature. Too bad it's a limited play, and just one color. Nissan really is way out in front, aren't they?

This was also discussed at the show:

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2011/11/batteries-energy-kung.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A team of engineers has created an electrode for lithium-ion batteries -- rechargeable batteries such as those found in cellphones and iPods -- that allows the batteries to hold a charge up to 10 times greater than current technology. Batteries with the new electrode also can charge 10 times faster than current batteries.

TomT said:
A team of engineers has created an electrode for lithium-ion batteries -- rechargeable batteries such as those found in cellphones and iPods -- that allows the batteries to hold a charge up to 10 times greater than current technology.
I never understand why some "breakthroughs" get picked up as news and others don't. LG Chem and SB LiMotive and Envia already use silicon at the anode. No doubt there are some others. I suspect their existing anodes are already better for electric vehicles than what we're seeing from McCormick. This new anode dramatically loses capacity after only 100 cycles, which might be OK for a laptop but isn't suitable for an EV.

SanDust said:
This new anode dramatically loses capacity after only 100 cycles, which might be OK for a laptop but isn't suitable for an EV.

But say the range is 1,000 miles per charge, then 100 times that is 100,000 miles. I wonder if slower charging than is speculated for cell phones and laptops would extend the number of cycles?

Honda Fit=FAIL. 1000 cars over (3 years?) and a lease only. Can you say CARB play conversion.

Please post any info you come across with regard to deeply discounted or free tickets or passes to the LA Auto Show - I'm searching for such offers, and will do the same.

I actually attended the show preview yesterday evening thanks to a friend's connections and generosity, but the attractions of open bars, bountiful and excellent server-passed hors d'oeuvre, and the numerous delightful show models (of the female human variety, not vehicular) captured our attention to the exclusion of seeing much in the way of cars.

So, I need to attend the show again to actually peruse the latest green and ICE offerings on display.
And this time I'll have to pay, unless a deal comes our way.

Sorry if this is not the most appropriate place to post this - if there's a better thread feel free to point it out.

BTW, if you're attending the show with your Leaf, there are numerous downtown locations to park 'n charge besides the expensive Convention Center itself. Feel free to contact me for suggestions.

I'm sick, so my enthusiasm for fleshing this post out is very much diminished. I'll just tack stuff onto here as I feel up to it.

A Volkswagen rep confirmed to me that their e-motion Golf is still coming here as a production model, based on the Mk.7 Golf, in 2013.

A Kia rep said there will be "some interesting news" with respect to electrification in a couple of months.

Once again I couldn't find anyone at Ford willing to talk in any significant way about the Focus EV, despite there being two of them on the show floor. :?

BMW is about to start accepting leases for the Active E.

Infiniti confirmed their EV for 2014, as a 2015 model.

Toyota RAV4EV coming next year.

mwalsh said:
I'm sick, so my enthusiasm for fleshing this post out is very much diminished.

Ah Michael, sorry to hear that. you probably have what i had a few weeks ago. sorry to have passed it on. but it will pass. i suggest the couch with all your needs within arm's length. 2 days should take care of it.

brownga said:
I'll probably be going tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on where to park and charge and cost?

The EVSEs (or maybe that should that be EVSE singular, under the circumstances - see the "nasty note" thread) are in the West Hall parking structure. Parking is $12.

What I would do instead is head to the 7 Figueroa parking structure (725-945 W. 8th) - 4 Chargepoints on Level 7 (NE side near the "Rome" elevator, whatever "Rome" is). That's 3 blocks up from the Convention Center (short blocks). Parking may even be a bit cheaper.

By my count I see about 16 ChargePoints North West of the LA Convention Center. At 10:20 am on a Sat during the Auto show, none appear to be in use. I guess LA people really DON'T like to walk anywhere.

photo.jpg

Back