L2 EVSE in J1772 handle (UM-EVSE)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out their FAQs:
Is the mains available in the car connector all the time?

No, the mains is only connected to the J1772 socket when the car is connected and requests charging.

The UM-EVSE performs continous diode-tests to detect any fault conditions caused by foreign objects.

What does "Double isolation IP44 when connected " mean?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Check out their FAQs:

No, the mains is only connected to the J1772 socket when the car is connected and requests charging.

The UM-EVSE performs continous diode-tests to detect any fault conditions caused by foreign objects.

What does "Double isolation IP44 when connected " mean?

I think it means that they are using the vehicle's relay to disconnect the power.

TonyWilliams said:
wwhitney said:
Why is having the relay at the 5-15 plug important?
In the USA, it must be within 12 inches of the outlet.
Yes, NEC 625.22 requires a "listed system of protection against electric shock of personnel" to be at the plug or within the first 12 inches of cord. But's that's just the GFCI. If the GFCI is within the plug, what additional advantage is there to locating the relay within the plug versus within the J1772 end?

Cheers, Wayne

Their literature indicates you need to have it plugged into a GFCI outlet for safety.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the design of the traditional models, where the power to cord is completely cut off back in the nice dry garage while I'm fumbling around with the nozzle in the rain. This doesn't seem like that big an optimization over existing units like the Panasonic; the brick isn't that big a deal. I haven't heard of anyone getting hurt with the current (no pun) design and hope to see it stay that way. You have to assume there are kids handling these plugs (mom comes home in a hurry and sends little Billy out to plug the car in) or others who get complacent as it becomes a routine activity.

smkettner said:
EVDRIVER said:
It also defeats all safety functions and is not mede very well.

From the website:

UM-EVSE is equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) that will protect from ground faults.

What else is missing?

GFCI in the handle does not cover the cable, the most likely part to need protection not the plug end. The unit is also under built for its power rating. The concept is good but the execution is not.

Looks like this company has changed the name on it's EVSE the handle. It's now called the SPARK. I wonder if that's a pun ;-)

http://www.charge-amps.com/spark/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back