L-3 charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverton

I know it's not recommended but what's Nissan's position on L-3 charging only or mostly? I work just blocks from an L-3 charger. I used it (L-3) for the first time today. The battery percent started at 56 and after maybe 15 minutes of charging, it said 82%. The battery temperature showed 5 bars, so it didn't jump at all. It was still charging but I needed to get to work so I unhooked it and off I went. I'm on a 2-year lease.

On a two year lease, I'd not worry about it.

beaverton said:
I know it's not recommended but what's Nissan's position on L-3 charging only or mostly? I work just blocks from an L-3 charger. I used it (L-3) for the first time today. The battery percent started at 56 and after maybe 15 minutes of charging, it said 82%. The battery temperature showed 5 bars, so it didn't jump at all. It was still charging but I needed to get to work so I unhooked it and off I went. I'm on a 2-year lease.

But what is the benefit to you? You may save a small amount of money on electricity, but do you really want to spent 15 to 30 minutes each day babysitting the quick charging? If you charge at home you only need to plug in when you arrive home and unplug it when you leave. That's probably 30 seconds per day, tops.

Is it free? You might save maybe $50/month, using it every day? Is that worth sitting there 1/2 hour each day? Would you use that time working, reading, getting coffee, doing something you would do anyway? Need more info. As far as Nissan goes, once a day is no problem. Ten times a day driving the battery temp up into the red might be an issue, but shouldn't apply here.

The beauty of a BEV is that you can fuel at home, even make your own with solar. Much easier than biodiesel.

there is no doubt that higher charge rates accelerate capacity fade. It's a tradeoff you have to make. To me, the benefit of L-3 charging is the short charge time, not so much the electricity "freebie".

I have experienced charge times of less than 18 minutes from 23% SOC to 73% SOC, and "empty" (i.e. ~22% SOC) to 80% SOC on 25 minutes.

But then, I am on a 3 year lease, and I have another 10 months to go. To me, DC Fast Charging RULES!

Back