key fob

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epic

the key I always use in the leaf now shows an icon the it is low on battery on the dash.Is this common?The car is only 2 years old this month.I've had 15 year old cars with out changing the fob battery.
So, how do I change the battery?

15 years??? :shock: I really doubt that. Remember, this key fob does more than give you a couple buttons to push to open/lock doors. It is a "SMART" key, always trying to communicate with the computer in the car, so it knows when you are in the vehicle. I have only gotten a little over of 2 years on mine also, some people say 3. Replacement is easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rocyzHJgn8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, about two years for me as well. There are a number of threads discussing replacing the key fob battery:

You know your key-fob battery is running low when... Part 2
Key FOB battery life
Another LEAF Battery Issue!!

By the way, if you didn't know: you can use the fob with a dead (or no) battery in it by holding it up to the car's start button. The car will read the RFID chip in the fob, beep, and you can then push the start button. If the doors are locked, there is a key in the fob.

I only use one fob so I left the other without a new battery and use it on occasion to start the car — using the procedure above — when I don't have the good one at hand.

The battery on my most-used LEAF fob lasted just over two years. I replaced it last week. This is in contrast to the original 14 year old battery in my brothers Ford Focus (which used to be mine), which is still kicking.

A little more than 1 year. I kept using it, until the car did not power up anymore and the doors didn't open, which was about 2 weeks after first seeing the battery-fob symbol in the display. (10 to 20 locks/unlocks a day) all weekdays.
The battery (CR2025) had a voltage of 2,82V, which I don't find -that- low for a 3V cell.

The battery of my other car (VW 2004) worked for 7 years (!)

Some cars, such as many BMWs, used an inductive loop around the fobs key slot to charge a super cap or battery in the fob... Never needs a battery... Both of our BMWs were that way. Now with keyless ignition, that idea is basically dead.

keydiver said:
15 years??? :shock: I really doubt that.

EV1 said:
The battery (CR2025) had a voltage of 2,82V, which I don't find -that- low for a 3V cell.
That is the voltage of the battery when it is sitting without a load on it. The voltage may be much lower when it is in a fob that is trying to communicate with the car.

One would expect that a fob with such big inductive loop would last much longer than a "classic" fob, since it only needs to be detected by the car and not actively send anything (as long as the buttons are not used).

Back