Juicebox?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joek123j

I'm curious as to why there is not much mention of the Juicebox from emotorwerks on here.

It is an Open Source 15kW / 60A Level 2 EVSE

Can get the base assembled EVSE with input and 25ft 70A output cable for less than $600.

Is this not the best deal overall?
Am I missing something?

Not many have shipped yet. As more people get a hold of them I am sure you will hear more.

There is a long thread about OpenEVSE here, it was born on My Nissan Leaf and has been shipping since 2011.

Best deal depends on your needs. EVSE upgrade is a great deal. OpenEVSE has more and less expensive options than juicebox. Bosch has a good deal if you want a commercial unit...

joek123j said:
I'm curious as to why there is not much mention of the Juicebox from emotorwerks on here.

It is an Open Source 15kW / 60A Level 2 EVSE

Can get the base assembled EVSE with input and 25ft 70A output cable for less than $600.

Is this not the best deal overall?
Am I missing something?

I built a 50 amp OpenEVSE for less then $400.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on one side of their mouths they say JuiceBox is open source, but out of the other side of their mouths, they say no commercial use. I'm confused. Isn't open source inherently open for commercial use?

Anyone have a picture of their "premium" enclosure? Wondering if it's suitable for mobile use (water tight). Their alumimum box looks like it's unsealed.

I have used the Hammond boxes in the past and they are RF tight but I would not consider the wrap around fit waterproof. In general they are an excellent box for shielding.

kubel said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on one side of their mouths they say JuiceBox is open source, but out of the other side of their mouths, they say no commercial use. I'm confused. Isn't open source inherently open for commercial use?

Anyone have a picture of their "premium" enclosure? Wondering if it's suitable for mobile use (water tight). Their alumimum box looks like it's unsealed.

kubel said:

In the past EMW has used "Open Source" as a marketing term without following through. Their 12kw charger has source material avaliable with purchase of a kit and prohibits commercial use. This is not open source at all.

EMW has been publicly called out and vows to do better with Juicebox. They have posted the source code and some of hardware info. Its a good start but not yet to the level of OpenEVSE where the licenses are clearly defined (and yes commercial use us allowed ) and ALL sources required to easily recreate and / or modify are avaliable.

I have not seen pictures of the premium enclosure. Based on their updates they have only shipped basic units thus far. They seem to be way behind their promised kickstarter goals.

I was a kickstarter backer until the August date missed and GlennD had a OpenEVSE available, they did refund promptly and It turned out that they shipped the unit to me and I ended up forwarding it to another backer. It's a very narrow percentage of buyers that could construct an OpenEVSE it requires very specialized skills. They seem to perhaps be filling a niche and the more options available the better probably to get to a critical mass of EVSE's out in the marketplace. I just wish there were some cheaper options for cables and plugs but maybe volume with help this, it already seems that they are getting more reasonable. :D

Agreed, OpenEVSE requires skills that I have none of. Would have to be an assembled unit for me. I'm guessing most don't have the skills required.

I just inished my Kickstarter 'JuiceBox' base kit last weekend. (Now $149 + shipping (around $16 to WA), + whatever input and output cables you want)....includes everything in the kit you need, other than some solder rings for the 7 signal wires to the relay and ground, and a 2nd nut for the ground screw.....

Pretty easy build, the instructions are COMPLETE.

Worked first time, charging at 24A (car at 65%, so I don't know if it should be more or less...). I put a 14-50 plug on it going into a properly wired 50A outlet.

Now to figure out how to mount it so I can take it with me if I want.

total out the door was $341 including cables and shipping (my time was donated)...now to keep the receipts around for tax time.

Kind of boring really, no lights, noises, nothing except 'it works'.

Anyone know what the expected charging currents SHOULD be at various SOC levels?

Back