Job change: Should we trade-in for more range mid-lease?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cahillec

My wife - who uses our 2012 LEAF SL to commute to work - just had an unexpected job change and now her commute is longer than the LEAF's range. We are 11 months into a 36 month lease. Should we buy out the lease and sell it? Has anyone ever traded their car in for something else in the middle of a lease? I also know someone who transferred their lease to someone else but it took a few months and a ton of paperwork. What are our best options for this unfortunate scenario?

Your first step is to call NMAC and ask for the current buy-out amount. Once you know what it will cost to buy the car, then you can figure out if there's room to either sell it or trade it in. While you are on the phone with them, you can also discuss early termination.

Cahill: as you point out, lease transfer is possible (see my response in this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). I agree it's time consuming (took almost 6 weeks AFTER I had contacted the guy and started the process, and both of us used express delivery of paperwork to make it happen), but it is an option. I think the major services charge about $60 for you to post an ad.

As for trade... Based on my visit to Woodfield Nissan here in IL, where leasing is more challenging and expensive, the demand seemed pretty strong. Thus there may be a "hot" enough market to make a trade work for you.

cahillec said:
My wife - who uses our 2012 LEAF SL to commute to work - just had an unexpected job change and now her commute is longer than the LEAF's range. We are 11 months into a 36 month lease. Should we buy out the lease and sell it? Has anyone ever traded their car in for something else in the middle of a lease? I also know someone who transferred their lease to someone else but it took a few months and a ton of paperwork. What are our best options for this unfortunate scenario?

If you took delivery 2/2/12, aren't you coming up on 22 months in?

Talk to your dealer, they may be happy to put you into something else. May be a better deal than a buyout/sale, and quicker.

Back