Jalopnik

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckus

Entertaining EV bashing article and discussion over on Jalopnik.

I like my Leaf, realize that it is not perfect, but always find it amusing how passionate people get about a car (pro or against.)

http://jalopnik.com/5873084/you-are-not-alone-america-hates-electric-cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

American ignorance at its best. I posted but it will likely be removed. I fear for our country. :shock: :roll:

Wow, what haters. Its not like someone is putting a gun to their head, but you would think so from those posts. I'm not pushing any of my friends to buy a Leaf, it just happens to work for me. Of course, I have the Prius as a backup plan for longer trips, hauling bigger items, etc. Its really ignorant of them to suggest that everyone should buy a motorcycle instead. Most get worse gas mileage than a Prius, they are gross polluters, and even more impractical in bad weather.

Brian1321- likely the year he was born. Unreal. And what a terrible format!

Nice sensible rebuttal here
http://boingboing.net/2012/01/05/hey-electric-cars-dont.html#more-137480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently people in the Midwest like to spend lots of money to sit
in cars for long periods of time...must be a pretty boring place ;)

Man, talk about idiocy and ignorance!

Hey, OP, can you edit the thread title to read "Jalopnik: You Are Not Alone. America Hates Electric Cars"? It's bit more descriptive.

Here were my comments I posted on Priuschat:
At least the author linked to a rebuttal. I don't have time to write a rebuttal or participate, but IMHO, the author's an idiot. There are plenty of communities and commutes were the limited range of EVs like the Leaf are fine.

The guy at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; passed 15K miles. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; passed 10K miles in July 2011. The 1st delivery in the US was in mid December 2010.

His comparisons of a Fiesta to a Prius are hilarous... what's the combined EPA mileage of the Fiesta? 33 mpg. Prius? 50 mpg. 52% better combined mileage isn't real close in my book.

He doesn't bother upon bringing up the tax credits which can bring the cost of EVs and PHEVs down.

He doesn't bother touching upon our dependence to foreign oil, about 50% of which we import, much of which resides in unstable regions or the world or where the people don't like us much along w/military interventions needed to secure its supply. Maybe he doesn't realize that we send almost $1 billion/day to foreign countries for oil. He doesn't bother touching upon non-fossil fuel based methods of generating electricity, some of which are totally non-polluting.

He does not mention that you can almost charge the LEAF with the electricity used to make a gallon of gas. Which comes from that dirty coal mentioned in the comments. I suppose we should all sit and wait for technology to advance organically.

Not sure if my reply will get posted, but here it is if not:

The 40 mile commute you mention costs at least 2 gallons of gasoline, likely three or four. At $3 a gallon that means $6 to $12 a day. Thirty days of that means $180 to $360, or half to all of the monthly lease cost of a Leaf. That is just fuel cost savings mind you. Count in oil changes, belt wear, transmission fuids, etc. etc. and the saving add up faster. Should you be able to find electricity where you work (Hard to do I know, but it can be found most places these days.) the range issue isn't (Six hours of charging from any standard outlet will get you back all of 40 miles, plus a bit, so go to lunch too!). Of course to use that little fuel in an ICE you would have to drive slower and be very careful when accelerating. In an EV, the cost to operate would be reduced by at least a factor of three, so $6 would turn into $2, or less. Add to that equation that you can make electricity if you want to, unlike gasoline, and your costs can really go down if you put some effort into it. Solar, wind, or even a gas powered generator will create electricity that is more cost effective when used to charge the battery in the Leaf. 75% or more of gasoline burned in an ICE car goes toward heat production (That means 75 cents of every dollar spent on fuel, or 3 out of 4 dollars), not propulsion. Simply put, you go further on electric drive, and it frees you from the stopping where you don't want to stop, a Saudi Arabia supporting gas station. You simply plug it in where you are! If you are not around electricity, buy a generator and again, no issues. If you want to spend 3 hours or more driving in a car, consider taking a train, bus, or plane. You and the others on the road will be safer for it, since fatigue is a large factor in road deaths.

cwerdna said:
Hey, OP, can you edit the thread title to read "Jalopnik: You Are Not Alone. America Hates Electric Cars"? It's bit more descriptive.

+1 Even "America Hates Electric Cars" would do it.

this article is getting linked all over the place. I recommend that people take the time to write in a comment. I said some pretty pointed stuff and it got posted. Where it says "discussion threads" below the article click on "all" to see the really good stuff. Seems like the featured posts are getting cherry picked to try and save face. I think it's worth our time to take this one on with many voices. I've heard the feedback is taking it's toll on additional anti EV plans at Jalopnik. I like to think positively in these matters, that Joel Johnson may just be the next Bob Lutz, a once EV hater who was won over and is now fully in the game at Via motors http://gm-volt.com/2011/12/26/bob-l...nge-via-motors-pickup-suv-and-van-in-detroit/.

there are a bunch of smart people in this forum, assume there are a bunch of ignorant folks out there reading Jalopnik that simply need to hear the truth, so write a comment!!!

Back