It's your duty to drive FAST !!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abasile said:
Stoaty said:
The rest of the time, I drive slow... but they know it is me, not the car. :p
If a Prius seems slow, it's definitely the driver, because the car can be driven fast if needed.
Al Gore's son smoking dope and speeding at 90+. Check.

Today, I drove from WLA to Westminster to get the leather in the HOV lane. A Lexus who wanted to go 90MPH was the only car queued up behind me, and I just slid right and let him by. Otherwise, I won't admit to speeding, but just say nobody waited on my LEAF in the HOV lane, and I arrived with about half a charge in reserve.

Glad to help out... ;-)

Thanks for the replies.

I am set on the Leaf (I placed a deposit the day I got the email back in 2010) and although it is not the ideal choice, it is the only choice I have.
Like most people, here on this forum I am concerned about Global Warming, the cost of a Gallon of Gas, the Oil Company’s power to dictate my way of life.
Therefore, getting a leaf may not be the perfect fit but it helps me justify the above statement to my kids.

Dad is trying to make a difference no matter how small and if it means I need to drop 5/10mph then that’s the way it gotta be till I take delivery of my Tesla.

Maybe I will move to Boca Del Mar.

Brightonuk said:
Thanks for the replies.

I am set on the Leaf (I placed a deposit the day I got the email back in 2010) and although it is not the ideal choice, it is the only choice I have.
Like most people, here on this forum I am concerned about Global Warming, the cost of a Gallon of Gas, the Oil Company’s power to dictate my way of life.
Therefore, getting a leaf may not be the perfect fit but it helps me justify the above statement to my kids.

Dad is trying to make a difference no matter how small and if it means I need to drop 5/10mph then that’s the way it gotta be till I take delivery of my Tesla.

Maybe I will move to Boca Del Mar.

Love the NMTBHTSP album cover as your avatar. :)

Cheers
Yer it says it all for me.

I remember when the album came out in the UK there was a government inquiry into if the word was profanity.
Bollocks was deemed not to be profanity but in the UK refers to bull testicles (are you allowed to say testicles without being politically incorrect)?

And for those with inquiring minds the internet is all knowing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollocks

Now let see how far this Leaf goes doin 80MPH

I also have to be contrary. I drive in the right lane on I-15 at a snails pace (I drive like a granny). I usually set the cruise to 58 MPH. There are 5 other lanes to pass me. I understand the need to promote the speed factor, but I also realized the reason I bought the car was to be efficient. Yes, I love not buying gas. Yes, I love the efficiency. To me the point of going this far and then blowing the efficiency and wasting electricity doesn't make sense (albeit fun). It's just like a Prius owner driving 80 MPH. Why? If you want to do it, DO IT! don't just go half way and buy electric but then waste the electricity. Someday we will be talking about that giant electric hummer wasting all that electricity just to drive. So I say to heck with what other think. If they think I can't drive that fast they are less likely to give me the middle finger when passing me... hehe

I do happen to do a little red light racing, but hey, the acceleration is what is fun. 50MPH to 80MPH feels about the same to me on the highway.

How's that saying go?..."Penny-wise, pound-foolish."

What I'm understanding is driving at the flow of traffic on the freeway is a mater of cost. The Leaf is a $33k car (yes, tax credits, etc.. make it less), the cost of taking a trip in it cost literally pennies. I doubt that anyone that purchased/leased a Leaf is also somehow struggling to make ends meet where every cent saved throughout the day is relevant. Yet when range is not an issue, it is somehow necessary to drive in a way that is economical? You could drive the Leaf at 90mph on the freeway every chance you had and it would still cost just a fraction of what it would cost to drive the car the Leaf replaces economically (assuming you weren't using a highway capable EV).

Is the argument of not matching the flow of traffic of the freeway a matter of safety? Is it a matter of further reducing one's Carbon footprint? Is it mater of prolonging the life of the battery? When most people mention "economy" it pretty much has solely to do with money.

ginvent said:
I also have to be contrary. I drive in the right lane on I-15 at a snails pace (I drive like a granny). I usually set the cruise to 58 MPH. There are 5 other lanes to pass me. I understand the need to promote the speed factor, but I also realized the reason I bought the car was to be efficient. Yes, I love not buying gas. Yes, I love the efficiency. To me the point of going this far and then blowing the efficiency and wasting electricity doesn't make sense (albeit fun). It's just like a Prius owner driving 80 MPH. Why? If you want to do it, DO IT! don't just go half way and buy electric but then waste the electricity. Someday we will be talking about that giant electric hummer wasting all that electricity just to drive. So I say to heck with what other think. If they think I can't drive that fast they are less likely to give me the middle finger when passing me... hehe

I do happen to do a little red light racing, but hey, the acceleration is what is fun. 50MPH to 80MPH feels about the same to me on the highway.

I am in ginvent's school. Along with the Leaf comes an effort to be less heavy on the planet. i had already increased my mpg on my ICE by almost 20% waiting for the Leaf. that was very satisfying to do in a stick shift with coasting.
I translate that to the leaf.
I do 60 in the HOV lane. If someone gets obnoxious I go up to 65 or even 66.
I admit I should wear a t-shirt that says: I apologize.

What if the flow of traffic dictates you drive at 65-70 even in the slow lane (in Florida that is not necessarily the right lane)

It is dangerous to try to drive at 58mph on the main highways that is just the way it is here.

Brightonuk said:
What if the flow of traffic dictates you drive at 65-70 even in the slow lane (in Florida that is not necessarily the right lane)

It is dangerous to try to drive at 58mph on the main highways that is just the way it is here.

If the speed limit is 65mph, I drive a maximum of 65mph (or whatever the posted limit is). I do not feel obligated to break the law in order to facilitate other drivers who insist on doing so. I also drive in the "slower" lanes whenever practical, in order not to impede other drivers, who seem determined to get a speeding ticket. Millions of barrels of oil are wasted yearly by inconsiderate drivers who insist on breaking the law by speeding, tailgateing, weaving in & out of traffic lanes, and generally aggressive, unsafe driving habits. I haven't had an accident or speeding ticket in 40+ years of driving. Have you? :roll:

Drivesolo said:
mogur said:
To a certain extent, some reinforce that stereotype by driving slowly in the right lane to get maximum range or efficiency... Me? I try to get home with as little battery left as possible! :lol:
You rock! You are a model of what Leaf owners should strive to be. :D
This is one of the best threads I've read in a while. I stand with you guys on driving the EV like a normal car and show others it is not a golf car. I like keeping the traffic flow (5-ish over the post) and do that daily since I drive less then 40 miles typically.
Also like doing a little red light jack rabbit start up to the speed limit or very close in the suburbs. Got home with 1 mile on the EV battery tonight -- success.

I do both, showing off the greatness of an EV takes both sides, not just one. Regen to a stop, I slow traffic sooner than most, since I am gaining energy. Let them burn gas and brake pads, they can buy an EV too if they don't like it.

Speeding away from a light to the speed limit or a little more allows me to throw it into coast mode, again saving energy I "wasted" on the quick acceleration. Some cars will try to keep up at the next light, or try to pass me since they don't want to slow down to time the lights (I guess they need to text at every light, something I don't do.) I had to slow down to let an AUdi get by or he would have rear ended a tow truck today, what an idiot. Raced as fast as he could to get by me, and yes he knew what car I was driving. He also knew I let him live.

Freeways I do drive a little faster than traffic, and do like to show off the quickness at all speeds. Sometimes I do enjoy being conservative though, and while I do support EV's, I joy ride, and if that means enjoying the economy, so be it. I do admit that switching out of an HOV lane to pass and then re-entering that lane in the short transition areas here is fun. Can't do that while going uphill in most ICE's, but in the Leaf it is possible when that ICE slows down the HOV lane do to the hill.

Trouble is, I did get a speeding ticket. 44 the radar said, in a 30. I had just tried to gain enough speed to coast up the hill that was ahead, so when I hit the top I would be at the 30 and then coast to the next light - no rush, no other traffic, and the officer walked into the road and used his hands to flag me down, so clearly I wasn't a danger to anyone. I thought it was a paramedic or fire fighter till I saw the radar gun in his hand. Oh well, I will go talk to a judge about it and see what can be worked out.

I do think that the instant torque and fun this car can be will impact the rates insurance companies are going to charge though, and I am waiting to see the stats on the first couple of years.

Brightonuk said:

You can not dictate the speed others drive, only the speed you drive. If it is unsafe, you can actually be ticketed for driving the speed limit. Doubt you would be, but the flow of traffic dictates the safe speed, and is a defense if ticketed for speeding.

You might want to see if you can: A - move closer to work so you don't need a car at all. B. Use side roads that don't involve speeds that are excessive. C. Nice thing about Florida is elevation is not going to be a factor, and you will get better readings from the GOM, so you can likely rely on it more than many of us.

One final note - It really should be common sense that you should not drive faster than you can throw a baseball. Major league pitchers throw at 70+ - around 100 mph. I can maybe hit 70 once on a good day, and with little regard for my arm. Ask me to do it again the next day and it likely would not happen.

Caracalover said:
If it is unsafe, you can actually be ticketed for driving the speed limit. Doubt you would be, but the flow of traffic dictates the safe speed, and is a defense if ticketed for speeding.

Are you sure about that law? I've been in many states, and that's the first I've heard that you can be ticketed for driving the speed limit. Here, driving with the flow of traffic 11 over or more WILL get you a ticket. The judge would laugh at you if you tried to use that defense here. I've seen five or more cars pulled over at the same time for speeding. I'm sure they thought they were exempt because they were with the 'flow'.

LEAFfan said:
Caracalover said:
If it is unsafe, you can actually be ticketed for driving the speed limit. Doubt you would be, but the flow of traffic dictates the safe speed, and is a defense if ticketed for speeding.

Are you sure about that law? I've been in many states, and that's the first I've heard that you can be ticketed for driving the speed limit. Here, driving with the flow of traffic 11 over or more WILL get you a ticket. The judge would laugh at you if you tried to use that defense here. I've seen five or more cars pulled over at the same time for speeding. I'm sure they thought they were exempt because they were with the 'flow'.

I think what caracalover is referring to is unsafe speed for driving conditions - e.g. fog, ice, snow, rain, curves, and debris on road. For example :
California Vehicle Code section 22350 is typical; it states that "No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable... and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property"

LEAFfan said:
Caracalover said:

Right on, LEAFan... :)

derkraut said:
LEAFfan said:
Caracalover said:

Right on, LEAFan... :)
This is a defense that is utilized in court. Yes, a judge would not look favorably upon that defense for run of the mill speeding, unless you could prove that it was indeed unsafe to do anything else (Tough sell). The defense has been used by G. Liddy I believe, in a rural area where he proved to the court his car was safe, the speed he travelled at was safe, and since his was the only car in the area, it dictated the speed of traffic. I would not advise using it as a defense without his skill and expertise with you. If it is a fact (The way that the Florida driver says), in a trial where people were killed this becomes more of an issue and a more utilized defense. The little black rubber bands you see on the road are often gaining data for this reason, to find a real world speed of traffic, rather than a should be world. The law does state both, it is illegal to drive in excess of the posted speed limit, and at an unsafe speed, if these two are at odds with each other (As the Florida driver is suggesting) it becomes an issue for the officer to decide upon which he will cite you for, and the court to rule on. This is how speed limits get raised, too many people cited and fighting, proof that is a safe speed for that road (Again tough sell, but done many times), and you can get a 70 limit in CA, 75 in some states.

Leaffan brings back a old memory when I was heading from Phx to Prescott on 4th of July ..Four cars passsed me up going 10 over the posted limit and I decided to join them ,little to my surprise a highway patroleman drove up behind us and waved all 5 cars over..I told him I was trying to catch up to them to warn them that speeding is dangerous :lol: He let us all off with warnings.. He also pointed to a patrole plane in the sky that recored everyones speed..

Caracalover said:
If it is unsafe, you can actually be ticketed for driving the speed limit.

That is a CA thing, doesn't apply in FL. Stupid law, if you ask me. You *MUST* exceed the speed limit if everyone else is doing it. :roll:

Re Too Slow: One time my father borrowed my old pickup and got pulled over for driving too slow -- 55 -- on the freeway. He was miffed. He got off with just a warning.

Re. Drive Fast: Good thread. I like to drive fast some times. At first I thought, "I'm wasting energy." But if more people adopt EVs because they think they are fun -- then maybe I'm saving energy in the long run.

I think the fun factor will drive better EV adoption more so than the "Maybe I can save 15 cents" type of thinking.

I'm new, only 500 miles so far, but for me -- it makes driving fun again.

Back